The Student Room Group

Parents want me to do Economics but I want to do English?

So I come from a very Indian family and I have three older siblings. My brother did Chemistry at Imperial. My sister did Natural Sciences at Cambridge. My other sister went to Nottingham to do Vet medicine. I seem to be the odd one out in the family because I want to do English at Southampton University. I'm currently in Year 12 so when I told my parents this, they were telling me stuff like you aren't guaranteed a job in English but you're guaranteed one in Economics. They're basically telling me I can't move out for university unless I do Economics and they've started telling me that some priest told them when I was a baby that according to my horoscope, I'd be poor for life if I do English.

I personally don't believe in that crap but I don't know what to do. I have tried everything. We had mocks recently. I got an A in English, a B in History, a C in Music and a D in Economics. My parents flipped out and told me they wished that I had got a D in English and an A in Econ. My parents have told me that if I move out for university to do English, I'm completely on my own.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Anyone?
Tell them that you'll do a law conversion afterwards, even if you have no intention of doing this.
Reply 4
English is a hobby, do an apprenticeship instead.
Reply 5
Unfortunately (not being racist, I have experience and stories of this from people I know) this is something that happens a lot in Asian families. I'm currently in Year 12 too and I'm very grateful for supportive parents - however it seems you are not as privileged. I would suggest trying to sit them down, and calmly explaining to them why you want to do English, and why you don't want to do economics. You need to show them that not only are you better at English (I can see it from your writing :smile:) but that it's something you enjoy more; after all, you can be a rich economist but still hate your job! If they're still insisting economics after that, it might be helpful to get a teacher involved (or maybe not, I don't know your parents or teachers) to try to sway them, as they're more likely to listen to someone with authority and experience.

Altogether, try to strive for what you want, not what others want of you. It's your life, your education, your future - not theirs.
Reply 6
I think that it may be useful to talk to your parents about your future career options if you studied english because they might not be fully aware. Honestly, no degree can guarantee you a job, it all depends on you as a person. Btw I am an economics student at a Russel Group uni and I know people in the year above who struggled to find a job
I had this same problem. My parents wanted me to do law instead of psgchology because they thought psychology was a "useless" degree. (And i come from a nigerian household) I've sent my application now and I think they just dont care anymore. I would advise you to prove to them thag there are job opportunities for you as an English graduate. Do some research and figure out the possible career paths that Engkish can lead you to. You don't have to become an English teacher and its important that you make them aware of that. Have you tried talking to them about it? (Or maybe creating a powerpoint?)
Reply 8
Having an English degree from a top UK university is nothing to be looked down on! You could explain all the various career options for an English graduate (there are so many, all you have to do is type in english degree careers into google :smile: ) Though I'm incredibly biased towards Exeter uni as hoping grades all go to plan, I'll be there next September, they have an amazing English course which is incredibly well regarded. Also like many others, possibly including Southampton (I'm not 100% sure as I never looked into the uni) they offer study abroad years which allows you to study right across the globe, giving you 'life experience' living in a foreign country.

I mean Economics is great, I'm currently studying it for the IB and was up until September going to apply for a Management/Economics and French joint honours course before I switched at the last minute to History of Art and French. It took me a while but I realised though I enjoy it, I need to be studying something I'm passionate about. My parents were a bit shocked when I suddenly announced the change but having shown them various things and if you like 'proving my passion' for HoA, everything's all good :smile: Through many different means, if you try to 'prove your passion' and show them your consistently better English grades, then hopefully you should be okay! Good luck with everything :smile:
It's your life not theirs.
Original post by simbasdragon
Tell them that you'll do a law conversion afterwards, even if you have no intention of doing this.

I did tell them that they said that was pointless.

Original post by otah007
Unfortunately (not being racist, I have experience and stories of this from people I know) this is something that happens a lot in Asian families. I'm currently in Year 12 too and I'm very grateful for supportive parents - however it seems you are not as privileged. I would suggest trying to sit them down, and calmly explaining to them why you want to do English, and why you don't want to do economics. You need to show them that not only are you better at English (I can see it from your writing :smile:) but that it's something you enjoy more; after all, you can be a rich economist but still hate your job! If they're still insisting economics after that, it might be helpful to get a teacher involved (or maybe not, I don't know your parents or teachers) to try to sway them, as they're more likely to listen to someone with authority and experience.

Altogether, try to strive for what you want, not what others want of you. It's your life, your education, your future - not theirs.

My English teacher told them on parents evening that I wanted to do English and they thought she manipulated me into it :/

Original post by nju
I think that it may be useful to talk to your parents about your future career options if you studied english because they might not be fully aware. Honestly, no degree can guarantee you a job, it all depends on you as a person. Btw I am an economics student at a Russel Group uni and I know people in the year above who struggled to find a job

They're going by what some astrologer told them. Apparently I'll be poor if I do English but rich if I do Econ.
Original post by Ravenous
It's your life not theirs.

They use the "We made you" argument.
explain to them that you are 18 therefore you are and adult and can make choices on your own. Just say to them 'thanks for your opinon but im doing english thanks'

i dont think they can legally tell you what to do if you are 18 (dont quote me on this, you will have to make sure this is true)
(edited 8 years ago)
Nobody is guaranteed a job just by their degree. You still have to interview for all jobs and if you lack interest or passion for economics it's unlikely you are going to get a decent job when there are thousands of keeno graduates who will love it.

Couldn't you just lie and say you applied for economics and apply for english instead? Then say you didn't get in for economics so you have to do english? I guess it depends how much your parents know about the system
Original post by jarjarbinkss
explain to them that you are 18 therefore you are and adult and can make choices on your own.

i dont think they can legally tell you what to do if you are 18 (dont quote me on this, you will have to make sure this is true)

It's not about what is or isn't legal tbh. If OP's parents say they won't support her if she does english there's no law making them support an 18 year old, adult child of theirs. It can make things very difficult e.g. if they won't allow her home in the holiday breaks. Obviously they cannot force her to do economics but as an 18 year old they are also no longer legally obliged to support her at all.

OP sorry if you're not a 'her', I couldn't tell
I think the real question is how did you get an A? any tips?
Mate if push comes to shove and they still are not understanding then take out the student loan and go it alone then. Obviously this isn't an ideal situation at all, not sure how it works in England but I'd imagine it would be very expensive but doable no? If they don't want you to be happy then what's the point?
Original post by jarjarbinkss
explain to them that you are 18 therefore you are and adult and can make choices on your own. Just say to them 'thanks for your opinon but im doing english thanks'

that would just make things worse, believe me I have tried it.
I want to study economics and I am doing maths as well. Just tell your parents you are not doing the right A Levels for an economics degree...they certainly can't force you to resit year 12
Original post by infairverona
Nobody is guaranteed a job just by their degree. You still have to interview for all jobs and if you lack interest or passion for economics it's unlikely you are going to get a decent job when there are thousands of keeno graduates who will love it.

Couldn't you just lie and say you applied for economics and apply for english instead? Then say you didn't get in for economics so you have to do english? I guess it depends how much your parents know about the system

Well my other siblings have applied before me and my dad's been in the country all his life so he understands it.

Original post by infairverona
It's not about what is or isn't legal tbh. If OP's parents say they won't support her if she does english there's no law making them support an 18 year old, adult child of theirs. It can make things very difficult e.g. if they won't allow her home in the holiday breaks. Obviously they cannot force her to do economics but as an 18 year old they are also no longer legally obliged to support her at all.

OP sorry if you're not a 'her', I couldn't tell

It's not nice because they're literally forcing me into doing a subject I hate just because some guy told them I'll be rich if I do it.

Original post by drriversong
I think the real question is how did you get an A? any tips?

With the creative writing bit, maybe think of an old experience that got to you. And as for analysis, do PEE and then make sure you really go detailed.

Original post by Zain-A
Mate if push comes to shove and they still are not understanding then take out the student loan and go it alone then. Obviously this isn't an ideal situation at all, not sure how it works in England but I'd imagine it would be very expensive but doable no? If they don't want you to be happy then what's the point?

Well student loans barely cover cost of living so idk how I'd manage. My siblings don't want to help or get involved :/
Original post by fionathebest
that would just make things worse, believe me I have tried it.
I want to study economics and I am doing maths as well. Just tell your parents you are not doing the right A Levels for an economics degree...they certainly can't force you to resit year 12

I got the lowest gcses out of my siblings (6 As, 4 Bs, 1 C and 1 D) and they were telling me to redo GCSEs while A levels.
Original post by Anonymous
Well my other siblings have applied before me and my dad's been in the country all his life so he understands it.

It's not nice because they're literally forcing me into doing a subject I hate just because some guy told them I'll be rich if I do it.

Just to clarify I wasn't defending your parents' view, I think you should do english if you want to do english. It's your student debt at the end of the day and you will be the one paying it back, not them. I went to Southampton for law and my sister is there now doing english and she loves it. It's a very good university for english and a couple of friends of mine who did english there are doing very well now

Quick Reply

Latest