The Student Room Group

Can guys and girls be best friends without having feelings for each other?

My best friend is a guy and we've been best friends for 3 years now. We talk literally all the time and he is my walking diary. Neither of us have feelings for each other, and although we do care about each other our relationship is strictly platonic. However many people have told me that this is not possible, that guys and girls cannot be best friends without one having feelings for the other. Is this true?
Not true at all. I have a few friends who are boys and we are just friends.
Reply 2
He probably has a crush on you and is waiting for you to like him back. eventually he will give up and ditch you for another girl he meets and tries with.

I guess it is possible to just be friends, but it's very easy to catch feelings and make it become involved...

... But I mean why would he stick around with you if he had a girlfriend? He would spend his time with her. Which says it all really. He wants to spend time with you innit.

A guy needs a loyal girl and then he's sorted. Course he can chat to others but they wont be like BFFs because the gf would fill that space as well innit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Maleah
My best friend is a guy and we've been best friends for 3 years now. We talk literally all the time and he is my walking diary. Neither of us have feelings for each other, and although we do care about each other our relationship is strictly platonic. However many people have told me that this is not possible, that guys and girls cannot be best friends without one having feelings for the other. Is this true?

Thats up to you to believe.
As if you're asking this... Of course.
Reply 5
Original post by Science_Girl
Not true at all. I have a few friends who are boys and we are just friends./QUOTE]
nah bruv, i think you are wrong. let me correct you: you know some boys who you are friends with, however they want to be more than friends with u.

truss me fam, im a boy and ofc i chat to loads of girls but once you have one if you really like em you wont care for the others anymore rah.
Reply 6
@bruvva57 but he talks to me about the girls he's interested in....
Reply 7
Original post by Maleah
@bruvva57 but he talks to me about the girls he's interested in....

oh damn my bad.. ok maybe he really is just a friend of yours then. but if he got it on with the girl he does really like and a relationship started i bet he will be spending his time with her and wont speak to u as much, especially since the girl he likes might get jealous of him hangin' round with you when they are going out.. u get me?
Reply 8
I dont believe that at all. Ive had three male best friends in my life, exactly the same as you, I was either with them or on the phone with them, they knew more about me than anyone and only one of them we ended up having feelings for each other but even then I had always felt slightly differently about him. The other two guys, I helped them get the girlfriends that they are still with till now, years later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
@bruvva57 yea I get you.
but once he gets a girlfriend she's going to need to understand that I'm not going anywhere. she can get jealous all she wants!
[QUOTE="bruvva57;61925859"]
Original post by Science_Girl
Not true at all. I have a few friends who are boys and we are just friends./QUOTE]
nah bruv, i think you are wrong. let me correct you: you know some boys who you are friends with, however they want to be more than friends with u.

truss me fam, im a boy and ofc i chat to loads of girls but once you have one if you really like em you wont care for the others anymore rah.

One of them has a girlfriend (who he dotes on) another is shocked to learn that people live together before marriage (we are educating him :smile: )
Reply 11
Reply 12
@Melli13 THANK YOU! This is exactly what I believe!
Reply 13
Original post by Maleah

Yes u can have guys that r just friends.
Original post by Maleah

Yes u can have guys that r just friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending