The Student Room Group

Quadratics help

I'm trying to solve 5x^2 + 4x - 3 = 0. I get stuck when im multiplying out the discriminant. As it is b^2 - 4ac , do I multiply a & c by -4 because of the negative sign in front of the 4? Or do I multiply a&c by 4 and then subtract it from b^2.

Thanks in advance
Original post by doglover123
I'm trying to solve 5x^2 + 4x - 3 = 0. I get stuck when im multiplying out the discriminant. As it is b^2 - 4ac , do I multiply a & c by -4 because of the negative sign in front of the 4? Or do I multiply a&c by 4 and then subtract it from b^2.

Thanks in advance

Depends what mood you're in.
Reply 2

Thanks in advance

b^2 - (4ac)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You don't need to calculate the discriminant to solve that equation.

For this particular problem, use the quadratic equation.

Anyhow, the answer to your question is what you said first, not the second part. You do a*c then multiply that by (-4).
Reply 4

Thanks in advance

This is GCSE , isn't it
Just multiplying by -4 is easier for me, as it sorts out what's negative, and what's positive straight away.
Reply 6
Original post by awais_k
This is GCSE , isn't it

Yeah and Core 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Makadia
Yeah and Core 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok.

OP, just label it a,b,c then put it into the quadratic equation, simple.
The discriminant is part of the quadratic formula ...
Original post by awais_k
Ah ok.

OP, just label it a,b,c then put it into the quadratic equation, simple.

Though, he may be doing the step to find out what type of answer he'll get,
b^2-4ac=0
b^2-4ac>0
b^2-4ac<0
Reply 10
Original post by shaz39
You don't need to calculate the discriminant to solve that equation.

For this particular problem, use the quadratic equation.

Anyhow, the answer to your question is what you said first, not the second part. You do a*c then multiply that by (-4).

Would it not be the the second part because if you use (-4)ac, you have to add that to the b^2, so the discriminant would be b^2+(-4ac). Whereas if you didn't have the '+' in the middle, and you use (-4), you would have b^2 (-4ac).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
The discriminant is part of the quadratic formula ...

Oh god, yes. I'm a fking retard....
Original post by awais_k
This is GCSE , isn't it

No it's C1

Yeah that makes sense, i've tried that for a few questions and it works, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest