The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students

WELCOME TO OXFORD APPLICANTS 2017!

Message from Brasenose Admissions
It's very quiet around the college the day after the last interview candidates have gone home followed by all the student hosts. We'd like to thank everyone who took part - it was great hosting you.

All of the decisions will go out by 1st-class post on January 10th if you are a UK applicant and should arrive on Wednesday January 11th. Every year there are some postal delays and the actual date your letter arrives may vary a little. We also can't control the time of day Royal Mail make the delivery in your area. Overseas decisions are sent by email on January 11th. All of the Oxford colleges abide by the same decision date. The date for letting candidates know is not the one we would have chosen. It is the first complete week that the majority of schools resume term in the UK and Oxford.

Admissions settled on this formula a couple of years ago. In 2016, the date happens to fall a few days later than usual - which means a longer wait, unfortunately. If you applied to Brasenose and your letter hasn't arrived by Friday January 13th, please get in touch with us citing your UCAS personalid number.

Brasenose Admissions

Course Specific Threads

Spoiler

Acknowledgements

I would like to thank Brasenose College (BrasenoseAdm) for giving out valuable information throughout the course of the year.

As far as I'm aware, Lady Margaret Hall (LMH OXFORD), which operates a stickied 'Ask us Anything' thread, is the only other Oxford college which a presence on the Student Room.

Finally, I owe a lot of credit to wolfmoon88 for the ideas for the renovation of this opening post.

Icebreakers:
How did you do in your GCSEs?
Which A Levels are you doing?
Which course did you apply for?
Which college did you choose? Why?
What are your hobbies?
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day?

Relevant Links:
Oxford University Alternative Prospectus
2016 Applicants Thread
Oxford University Website
Oxford Admission Tutors' Thoughts on Interviews
Sample Interview Questions
LMH Interview Tips Video
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the Cambridge one as well, but as I don't know what degree I want to do yet (and thus which would be better) I'll tag on in this one as well :biggrin:

~9A* {8A* and A^ in further maths}, and 4A

~My a levels are maths, physics, chemistry and further maths

~Either physics, or maths&philosophy:h: {but still likely to change my mind}

~I enjoy reading, writing, running, playing piano, and listening to music

Fun fact ~ I can't do science practicals; I burnt myself today and dropped sulphur everywhere, and last time in physics I set a ruler on fire (okay - that wasn't entirely accidental, and I had the teacher's consent)

Good luck guys!!:biggrin:
Did you do well in your GCSEs?-I did ok, 4 A* 6 A (not TSR standard)
Which A Levels are you doing? English Lit, History, Politics and Psychology
Which course do you plan to apply for? History
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? Magdalen. 2 words: DEER PARK
What are your hobbies? Reading, politics, history, listening to music and playing the oboe.
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day? CRY
HEYA I'm Samantha idk for sure if I will apply to Oxford but I'm definitely seriously considering it!

Did you do well in your GCSEs?
Yeah, 11A*s (inc. A^ in f.maths) +2As
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Economics (predicted A*A*A*A*) plus already achieved AS levels in citizenship studies, science, english language and literature
Which course do you plan to apply for?
Mathematics probably
Do any particular colleges interest you?
St John's or Worcester
Why?
St J: it's near the maths area, got a good academic rep, large endowment
Worcester: large college, acres of land, pretty.
What are your hobbies?
ummm idk, playing the flute? singing, watching tv, tweeting...
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day?
idk omg i guess just jump around and scream and then freaking out and screaming again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by academia153
How do you have so many AS levels already!!! How old are you? Did you resit a year or something??

im 15 actually. and i just did a lot of stuff early.
(edited 8 years ago)
Fair play, that's amazing! Oxford would be stupid to reject you!

grades aren't everything especially for oxbridge. the interviews exist for a reason and i can see myself falling at that hurdle. also as i would be 17 for the first year of university they would have to make assessments on my 'maturity'
Did you do well in your GCSEs? 6 A* 4As
Which A Levels are you doing? Economics, Government & Politics, Maths & History
Which course do you plan to apply for? PPE
Do any particular colleges interest you? No
What are your hobbies? Reading, writing, running, debating, drama, tennis
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day? I'm not sure...ecstatic things
Well, I suppose you have a lot of time to prepare for that! Since you are so young!

i don't think u understand. i am 15 but i am in year 12 as i was put up in school. i will be applying for uni in september/october this year just like everyone else in this thread.
Hi! I'm in year 13 now but chose not to apply this year, I will applying next academic year during my gap year for economics and management! ☺️
Did you do well in your GCSEs?

11A*s

English Literature, History, Maths, Physics

Which course do you plan to apply for?

Probably English, but History and PPE are also a possibility. (OR English and History?!)

Do any particular colleges interest you? Why?

Corpus Christi, because I like the name hahah, Brasenose looks nice- I just want an old college with nice architecture and cool traditions!

What are your hobbies?

Reading/writing, journalism, gaming (sims, ps3- far cry, gta), walking, travelling and being thoroughly too obsessed with tv shows/ movies :P

If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day?

Probably get drunk ahah
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alevelpain
Did you do well in your GCSEs? 6 A* 4As
Which A Levels are you doing? Economics, Government & Politics, Maths & History
Which course do you plan to apply for? PPE
Do any particular colleges interest you? No
What are your hobbies? Reading, writing, running, debating, drama, tennis
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day? I'm not sure...ecstatic things

Hey- I might want to apply for PPE too :smile: that, or English/ History. You've got a great set of A Levels for PPE, what attracted you to the course?
Original post by Nomes24
Hey- I might want to apply for PPE too :smile: that, or English/ History. You've got a great set of A Levels for PPE, what attracted you to the course?

I've always been interested in Politics/Economics, so when I saw that there was a degree that combined three different viewpoints of life in to one degree it just seemed amazing. I'm also thinking of applying for History too aha, I really enjoy it now but swinging towards PPE more.
I've always been interested in Politics/Economics, so when I saw that there was a degree that combined three different viewpoints of life in to one degree it just seemed amazing. I'm also thinking of applying for History too aha, I really enjoy it now but swinging towards PPE more.

Yeah, I agree! Sometimes I think I would get bored studying just one subject, so PPE seemed good (vs. History). However, I've been really enjoying English Lit at A Level, and realised that English at a higher level involves so many other subjects e.g. geography, history, philosophy, psychology- which I find fascinating, making me think I would be happy to read English as it's so multi-disciplinary :smile:
Original post by Nomes24
Yeah, I agree! Sometimes I think I would get bored studying just one subject, so PPE seemed good (vs. History). However, I've been really enjoying English Lit at A Level, and realised that English at a higher level involves so many other subjects e.g. geography, history, philosophy, psychology- which I find fascinating, making me think I would be happy to read English as it's so multi-disciplinary :smile:

I completely agree with that - I really enjoy it when different disciplines cross-over and you learn different things from a variety of viewpoints, it is what we currently do with our History course. It seems so weird talking about applying to Oxford when two to three years ago I could never have imagined this, I always viewed Oxford as far too above me but now it's coming closer to applying. It's all in all just weird :tongue:
Reply 14
I can't help but feel a sense of despair knowing that many people got to a head start while I was deliberating on what to even do for university. And the fact that thousands and thousands of people have perfect or near perfect GCSE grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
I completely agree with that - I really enjoy it when different disciplines cross-over and you learn different things from a variety of viewpoints, it is what we currently do with our History course. It seems so weird talking about applying to Oxford when two to three years ago I could never have imagined this, I always viewed Oxford as far too above me but now it's coming closer to applying. It's all in all just weird :tongue:

That's cool your History course does that, what board are you on and what periods are you studying? We looked at a bit of political philosophy in History when dealing with Marxism, but other than that we haven't really done much multi-disciplinary stuff. Yeah I get what you mean, to be honest I find it really scary that we have about 8 months to figure out where we're applying and what for... I always sort of dreamed about Oxford, but I was also careful not to get fixated on it because it's so difficult to get in, and there are so many other great universities. However, I moved to an ultra-academic sixth form and there's such an Oxbridge culture here (people just assume you'll apply) so it's been a bit of an adjustment- because I got in here, now my parents have assumed I will apply here etc.... bit overwhelming!

I wish there were some open days earlier on- I can't be bothered to wait until the summer :colondollar:
Original post by Palette
I can't help but feel a sense of despair knowing that many people got to a head start while I was deliberating on what to even do. And the fact that thousands and thousands of people have perfect or near perfect GCSE grades.

Hey, fancy seeing you here :wink: ah the days of GCSE Science... dare I say I miss them?!

Have you decided then, and started preparation? I feel the same. I always change my mind about what to apply, and go through phases. So I get loads of books to read in order to make a good application, read one or two, then change my mind. At the moment I'm thinking perhaps English... but I continually get worried I'll make the wrong decision or change my mind again! And if I do go with English, I haven't done much extension in this area :frown:
Reply 17
Anyone planning to go to Oxford open days--they're on the 29th June, 30th June and 16th September? I might go, if only to enjoy the town itself.
Reply 18
Original post by Nomes24
Hey, fancy seeing you here :wink: ah the days of GCSE Science... dare I say I miss them?!

I really enjoyed Year 11... I have many positive memories: TSR, the library, GCSE results day etc. I loved most of all the community spirit in the exam discussion threads. I still remember rambling on about 'grade equilibrium' and making questions.

Have you decided then, and started preparation? I feel the same. I always change my mind about what to apply, and go through phases. So I get loads of books to read in order to make a good application, read one or two, then change my mind. At the moment I'm thinking perhaps English... but I continually get worried I'll make the wrong decision or change my mind again! And if I do go with English, I haven't done much extension in this area :frown:

I am currently triple preparing for Economics (1st choice), PPE and Maths, reason being that it all depends on my exam grades.
I've read a few books and attended a lecture. That's about it.

How's English going?
Original post by Nomes24
That's cool your History course does that, what board are you on and what periods are you studying? We looked at a bit of political philosophy in History when dealing with Marxism, but other than that we haven't really done much multi-disciplinary stuff. Yeah I get what you mean, to be honest I find it really scary that we have about 8 months to figure out where we're applying and what for... I always sort of dreamed about Oxford, but I was also careful not to get fixated on it because it's so difficult to get in, and there are so many other great universities. However, I moved to an ultra-academic sixth form and there's such an Oxbridge culture here (people just assume you'll apply) so it's been a bit of an adjustment- because I got in here, now my parents have assumed I will apply here etc.... bit overwhelming!

I wish there were some open days earlier on- I can't be bothered to wait until the summer :colondollar:

We do Edexcel History Option D (I think), which is British history & Italian. The British history side has democracy & reform, industrialisation, unionism, pauperism & slavery: all of these topics are/sound amazing, I'm really enjoying history at the moment. I know what you mean about Oxbridge culture, my parents kind of expect it and my sixth form is extremely pressurised with the goal of getting us there. Basically culminating in too much stress for us to handle!!! Where else are you thinking of applying to? And I can't wait until the open days either

Original post by Palette
Anyone planning to go to Oxford open days--they're on the 29th June, 30th June and 16th September? I might go, if only to enjoy the town itself.

100% will, I'm looking forward to it

Latest