The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelpain
What kind of stuff did you put on your personal statement? Like extracurriculars and stuff

90% of my PS was purely based on academia; 10% was stuff that I have done that aren't linked in anyway to my academic study i.e. instruments that I play.

Most important of all, tutors are looking for someone that enjoys the subject of their choice. It's good to be a "well-rounded person" or "best at sport in your school" but if you're not applying for sports - "it's just there" :wink:

Remember, you only have 47 lines! And if you feel like the activities you want to put in, go well with your subject that you're willing to study at university - put it in! Otherwise, think twice about it!

I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by patricio_miguel
90% of my PS was purely based on academia; 10% was stuff that I have done that aren't linked in anyway to my academic study i.e. instruments that I play.

Most important of all, tutors are looking for someone that enjoys the subject of their choice. It's good to be a "well-rounded person" or "best at sport in your school" but if you're not applying for sports - "it's just there" :wink:

Remember, you only have 47 lines! And if you feel like the activities you want to put in, go well with your subject that you're willing to study at university - put it in! Otherwise, think twice about it!

I hope that helps :smile:

Thanks! I've noticed lots of people put random stuff on their personal statement which doesn't really relate to what they want to do but is there to kind of show off, is that what you're meant to do or not?
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
All of Oxford's standard offers are over 3 A-levels. It is quite common for students holding offers to drop 1 or more A-levels after receiving an offer. Brasenose and other colleges require offer-holders to notify of us to changes in intended examinations - the primary reason for this is to check that a candidate can still meet the terms of an offer and to remind them that they will need to get the required grades over 3 (rather than 4 or more) A-levels if 1 (or more) are dropped.

You can look up the standard offer for subjects on Oxford University's Undergraduate Admissions pages:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

The main complication with offers occurs if a candidate has taken an early A-level in an essential or recommended subject. This may mean that the appropriate offer is conditional over 2 subjects or an offer may be made over 3 subjects (AAB or A*AB or A*A*B) depending on the circumstances.

Feel free to PM us if this is confusing and further clarification is needed.

Brasenose Admissions

Thank you, this explained it all perfectly! It's not immediately obvious which subject I should drop: I'm studying English Literature, History, Maths and Physics and plan on taking an arts subject, probably English.

Is there any benefit in taking a 4th A Level in an unrelated subject (except purely for enjoyment), and also is an arts-sciences mix like mine appropriate for applying for English? I was initially considering PPE.

Thank you for your help!
Original post by patricio_miguel
Hi guys :smile: I'm an offer holder for Linguistics and French at Oxford. If you have any questions just reply to this post and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions! I know how stressful it can be ... :smile:

How did you choose your college?
Original post by Nomes24
How did you choose your college?

I had a look at the prospectus, narrowed my choices down to 10 colleges and visited them at one of the open days! I looked at things such as tutors, the overal athmosphere of the college i.e. some are more relaxed than others whereas others can be really formal.If distance of the college is a problem, it shoudn't be one...a lot of central colleges require you to move out after the first year and your accomodation is usually located even further from the 'distant' colleges. By 'distant' i.e. St. Hugh's - I mean 5 minutes on the bike haha.
Reply 85
I hate the fact that many AS Levels are now decoupled from the A Level qualification. I don't understand why Gove had to change a system that was working pretty well for fifteen years. That reduces the information about a student available for universities in their admissions decisions.
It makes a levels more difficult as we have to retain the information for longer.

I'm sure I've heard that universities will start having more of their own tests as part of the application process and putting more weight on these.

Also GCSE's may be weighted slightly more as they are the only external grades we will have

Lucky for many of us we aren't affected too badly by these as they are being phased ib

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themathgeek
It makes a levels more difficult as we have to retain the information for longer.

I'm sure I've heard that universities will start having more of their own tests as part of the application process and putting more weight on these.

Also GCSE's may be weighted slightly more as they are the only external grades we will have

Lucky for many of us we aren't affected too badly by these as they are being phased ib

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of my subjects are reformed except Maths, and Maths isn't even related to what I want to study at uni so not sure how it will help with admissions..
Original post by Nomes24
All of my subjects are reformed except Maths, and Maths isn't even related to what I want to study at uni so not sure how it will help with admissions..

Isn't you school offering the AS level as well as the reform A-levels? The AS levels will provide the indication of our intellect etc. Also, I don't think having 4 A-levels will be that much more beneficial, especially if it negatively impacts on your other grades
Reply 89

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm worried that those university entrance exams might be where my dream of going to a good university brutally ends.
Did you do well in your GCSEs?
4a* 5a (worse than other people on TSR I am guessing)

Which A Levels are you doing?
Maths, physics, history, chemistry (might do one year fast track for econ)

Which course do you plan to apply for?
History or Law

Do any particular colleges interest you? Why?
Magdalen/Pembroke

What are your hobbies?
History, Politics, International news, football, climbing, cycling, camping and hiking, travelling

If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day?
Extremely happy and excited
Original post by Palette
I'm worried that those university entrance exams might be where my dream of going to a good university brutally ends.

I agree! Luckily for me if only affects one of my subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
I agree! Luckily for me if only affects one of my subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Level reforms affect two of my subjects. Fortunately, I'm thinking of ways to counter that.
Original post by Palette
A Level reforms affect two of my subjects. Fortunately, I'm thinking of ways to counter that.

What ways are those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
What ways are those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll send you a PM.
My my, you lot are keen beans!!! :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

Woosta muso alumna here, any questions about Woosta (Worcester College) and/or the music course, do feel free to PM me :musicus: I won't be watching this thread but quote me if anyone needs me :biggrin:
I got into Oxford this year for Law, and grades certainly aren't everything, so spend the next 9ish months doing extracurriculars as well as getting the grades. My friend who has got straight A*s all his life including 12A*s at GCSE, 7 As at AS and predicted 6A*s at A2 didn't get in for Law- on paper you can be perfect, but at the end of the day it's about your personality and dedication for the subject

I don't really know why I posted this (probably procrastination from mock revision), but yeah I hope I was in any way helpful aha
Reply 97
I'll join the crowds - I'm a first year physics student at St Hugh's, feel free to ask me anything :smile:
Original post by Runner0204
Hey everyone, I was rejected from Cambridge today and plan or reapplying next year but I haven't decided on whether to go for Cambridge again or to try for Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject did you apply for? I was rejected from Oxford but I'm reapplying for a different subject
Original post by Lau14
I'll join the crowds - I'm a first year physics student at St Hugh's, feel free to ask me anything :smile:

I know it's been asked already but how did you choose what college to apply for? There are so many and it looks quite intimidating

Latest

Trending

Trending