The Student Room Group

Can you give me an idea of what course i should do from the below?

My gcse grades were:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA : A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

I do maths,chemistry,biology and i won't do AS level exams because of the new exam reforms so only A2 exams which I am predicted A*AA

I want to do medicine mainly at a russell group uni preferably at Durham. I also had an idea to chemical engineering at UCL but I am not sure because I don't know what this course is mainly about.
I have met the minimum requirements for GCSE with both courses and now it is just about the rest UKCAT,PS,A2. When I apply to uni how many options do I have, can I apply to 4 medicine courses and one chemical engineering course, this is what I heard from a friend who said if you do medicine you apply to 4 medicine courses and one chemical engineering course. I am not sure between these two, and don't think I am in it for the money because I always wanted to save someones life and work regularly with patients but on top of this I also like engineering because I love doing maths. Am i disadvantage for chemical engineering due to the fact I don't do physics.

Thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Maybe something science related. Which science do you prefer?
Maybe maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mliela
Maybe something science related. Which science do you prefer?
Maybe maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but what from the two courses above, and do you know the answers to the questions above
Reply 3
Original post by Boss987
My gcse grades were:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA : A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

I do maths,chemistry,biology and i won't do AS level exams because of the new exam reforms so only A2 exams which I am predicted A*AA

I want to do medicine mainly at a russell group uni preferably at Durham. I also had an idea to chemical engineering at UCL but I am not sure because I don't know what this course is mainly about.
I have met the minimum requirements for GCSE with both courses and now it is just about the rest UKCAT,PS,A2. When I apply to uni how many options do I have, can I apply to 4 medicine courses and one chemical engineering course, this is what I heard from a friend who said if you do medicine you apply to 4 medicine courses and one chemical engineering course. I am not sure between these two, and don't think I am in it for the money because I always wanted to save someones life and work regularly with patients but on top of this I also like engineering because I love doing maths. Am i disadvantage for chemical engineering due to the fact I don't do physics.

Thanks in advance

You do apply for 4 medical schools and you can use your fifth as an insurance of a course of your choice, often you find people apply for biomedical sciences or similar as I have, however if you find a university which doesn't focus too much on personal statements it isn't too bad to be able to write a medical personal statement and apply for chemical engineering as your insurance as you can only write one personal statement. To choose my advice is get some relevant work experience in the fields to really see if you feel happy in the environments and so on. I can't answer the last one, however I have a friend holding chemical engineering offers this year and he does not do physics to A2, so I don't suppose it would be a huge obstacle but really the best people to tell you that one are individual universities as all requirements are different and they have their best information. Basically have a bit of a research too. Hope that helps in some way

Also just fyi Durham becomes part of Newcastle's course for your clinical years and the campus is in stockton just as you expressed an interest, the campus is really nice though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
It sounds to me like you need to look more into what both courses entail and decide what ypu think you will enjoy. What attravts you about the idea of each degree?

However your friend is right, you can apply for up to 4 medical degrees and use your 5th choice for whatever you wish. My sister in law got an offer for surf science doing this with a completely medical PS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ghotay
It sounds to me like you need to look more into what both courses entail and decide what ypu think you will enjoy. What attravts you about the idea of each degree?

However your friend is right, you can apply for up to 4 medical degrees and use your 5th choice for whatever you wish. My sister in law got an offer for surf science doing this with a completely medical PS.

Thank you for answering that question, do you think i have any chance of doing those courses above? Are my GCSE's poor
Reply 6
become a french teacher
Reply 7
Original post by Boss987
Yeah but what from the two courses above, and do you know the answers to the questions above

Sorry. Medicine is good but you have to be very committed. Applying to medicine itself is stressful and long. Let alone medical school.
I don't know much about chemical engineering but it's very popular in my school.
I guess a deciding factor should be whether or not you want to go into something with biology and in a caring environment or not.

For medicine the university status does not matter as much as all courses are regulated by the GMC. instead apply to your strengths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Boss987
Thank you for answering that question, do you think i have any chance of doing those courses above? Are my GCSE's poor

Your GCSEs are fine overall apart from English. A 'C' will really limit where you can apply
Reply 9
Original post by GUMI
become a french teacher

Really, French was the hardest subject ever.
Reply 10
Can anyone help me in finding work experience for medicine like shadowing a doctor. I have asked everywhere but no places so if you guys hear of places then please let me know
Reply 11
Original post by Boss987
Can anyone help me in finding work experience for medicine like shadowing a doctor. I have asked everywhere but no places so if you guys hear of places then please let me know

Depends on the area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by mliela
Depends on the area

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anywhere really because I am desperate but somewhere in London. I live Kingston Upon thames, if that helps. Thanks in advance
Reply 13
Original post by Boss987
Anywhere really because I am desperate but somewhere in London. I live Kingston Upon thames, if that helps. Thanks in advance

The only places I know are near south east London and Kent. Will that be any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by mliela
The only places I know are near south east London and Kent. Will that be any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh ok, that will be great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending