The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How come men can go topless but not women? If breasts are the issue?

If you're flat chested and female it's still a problem whether you have breasts or not. I am a very flat chested female naturally. I have no boobs at all and I am what people call I guess masculine I don't believe in that bull though. But I've worn speedos and trunks at pool parties sometimes it weirds people out if they know I'm female. Rather than if they confuse me for a guy then it's ok. Even though I am the same and look the same either way. What I don't get is why men can go shirtless but women can if the issue is breasts? Don't some men actually have moobs? Yet are allowed to go topless?

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't make sense does it. Double standards really 🙃
A woman should be modest and cover her chest at all times. For men it is less important to cover the chest although they too should remain modest. This is how society works. Stop complaining and wear what's expected.
Reply 3
Original post by hoping4Astars
A woman should be modest and cover her chest at all times. For men it is less important to cover the chest although they too should remain modest.

Yeah but if a woman does not have breasts the imporantlce of covering the chest is less important just like a man as their chests will be identical.
I have no problem with women walking around topless.
Reply 5
dunno tbh but don't women in African tribes walk around topless? (the kind that put plates in their mouths etc)
Women's breasts are sexual. They're supposed to be, evolutionarily. They're very distracting for men in a way which is not often appreciated by women. Men's breasts on the other hand do not have the same influence on women.. so there's nothing to do about it.

Being very flat-chested and mistaken for a male, you'll probably find nobody cares. Being found out as a girl, it's perceived as weird because of course most women cover up. At this point is an entirely social issue, and you're given weird looks for "deviant behaviour" more than anything else.

But generally the so-called "double standard" exists because men and women respond differently to the other sexes breasts.
Original post by Quantex
I have no problem with women walking around topless.

On the contrary , i'd encourage it :colone:
A woman should be modest and cover her chest at all times. For men it is less important to cover the chest although they too should remain modest. This is how society works. Stop complaining and wear what's expected.

Why is a woman not covering her breasts considered immodest? Ah, I know why. Because breasts have become sexualised and so aren't considered appropriate to flaunt in public, similarly with vaginas and penises.
Reply 9
Original post by FireGarden
Women's breasts are sexual. They're supposed to be, evolutionarily. They're very distracting for men in a way which is not often appreciated by women. Men's breasts on the other hand do not have the same influence on women.. so there's nothing to do about it.

Being very flat-chested and mistaken for a male, you'll probably find nobody cares. Being found out as a girl, it's perceived as weird because of course most women cover up. At this point is an entirely social issue, and you're given weird looks for "deviant behaviour" more than anything else.

But generally the so-called "double standard" exists because men and women respond differently to the other sexes breasts.

I'm not given weird looks usually actually unless they know me or maybe my name. I appear legit male if I want to. It's more with pool parties with friends that would object.
Reply 10
Original post by FireGarden

Breasts are for feeding babies. They are no more sexual than a hand.

They are seen as sexual purely due to society. In some African cultures, women go around topless. Do men who live in those cultures find that distracting? No. The beast is not seen as sexual.

I don't care if men find it distracting. Why on earth should a guy dictate what I do? I am my own person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BookBird
Why is a woman not covering her breasts considered immodest? Ah, I know why. Because breasts have become sexualised and so aren't considered appropriate to flaunt in public, similarly with vaginas and penises.

Are you being sarcastic :P

Haha , anyway my net is still on woot! , k fek bye <3
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Are you being sarcastic :P

Haha , anyway my net is still on woot! , k fek bye <3

Yes. You noob, come join us, we're just chilling lol. In a room that won't fill.
Original post by Katty3

They are seen as sexual purely due to society. In some African cultures, women go around topless. Do men who live in those cultures find that distracting? No. The beast is not seen as sexual.

I don't care if men find it distracting. Why on earth should a guy dictate what I do? I am my own person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're also there for the purposes of attracting mates. Humans are the only primates who develop breasts without pregnancy. Moreover, other primates gradually lose breast tissue after giving birth. Permanent breasts are unique to mankind - they are most certainly not just for feeding babies.

Blame society all you want, it has a far lesser influence than innate psychology. While I can't be sure, I'll bet you those african tribes still view breasts as a mark of sexuality. They may be less distracted since omnipresence of breasts makes them "usual", but it's ridiculous to believe this necessarily entails they aren't a part of sexual choosing - Western men place strong importance to a womans face, yet those are not covered.

Why should a guy dictate what you do? Well actually, no "guy" has. The law says one thing, but I'm quite confident you know enough men who, if you asked "mind if I go topless?" would welcome it.. or probably think it's a prank. Don't want them letching over you? Well hold on a second, don't let them dictate what you do! Keep em out, and see how it goes...

I literally just made an account to respond to this, and frankly as a first look of the student room, which I have heard so much good about, it's a pretty poor start.

Firstly, you completely fail to discuss the question at hand - instead of responding with /why/ it is acceptable for men to go topless but not women, you just state that it is the social norm and/or your personal belief, and conclude with "this is how it is stop complaining", which is not only pathetic but also entirely unproductive.

Secondly, your tone is awful "A woman should", "stop complaining", not sure exactly who you think you are but the notion that you might be wrong, or that there might not be a correct answer clearly has not crossed your mind.

To be perfectly frank, you come across as incredibly arrogant, close-minded and loath to adapt, all of which are negative traits in our progressive society.
Original post by ssupernova
Doesn't make sense does it. Double standards really 🙃

I see no problem with it. In fact I promote women to go topless in public. You would see no complaints from me. Equal rights is the most important thing at the end of the day.
Original post by Katty3

Good grief this is almost as silly as the last thing I replied to.

Breasts are both for feeding the young and for attraction, and this is very much well established within the scientific community, I would back up with sources but I really cannot be bother atm also I imagine they are abundant.

In some 'African cultures' the men walk around bottomless. Is this an argument now for everyone being able to walk around nude? Their society and ours are radically different so I don't see any argument of this ilk being much persuasion to anyone. Also I have no idea how you would know if men in such cultures still find breasts distracting, have you asked them?
Original post by Adam1327
I literally just made an account to respond to this, and frankly as a first look of the student room, which I have heard so much good about, it's a pretty poor start.

Firstly, you completely fail to discuss the question at hand - instead of responding with /why/ it is acceptable for men to go topless but not women, you just state that it is the social norm and/or your personal belief, and conclude with "this is how it is stop complaining", which is not only pathetic but also entirely unproductive.

Secondly, your tone is awful "A woman should", "stop complaining", not sure exactly who you think you are but the notion that you might be wrong, or that there might not be a correct answer clearly has not crossed your mind.

To be perfectly frank, you come across as incredibly arrogant, close-minded and loath to adapt, all of which are negative traits in our progressive society.

I was just stating my opinion. I was answering the question- I said that the reason why men can go topless and women can't is because that's what most people would think is normal. This is my firm belief and I believe that this opinion is correct. I can't believe you extracted so much about my personality from just one statement I made. You don't know me.
Reply 18
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the backwards Africans most Africans have worn clothes even before the first colonisation of white people.
It is not normal for women to be topless in public. Most people in our society would agree that a woman should not expose her chest in public because it is immodest and wrong. Honesty, people need to stop questioning such deeply ingrained societal norms.

Latest