ivanatahan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My apologies if this question has been asked elsewhere, but I feel like starting a new thread for it. I live in the USA, and I have a set of strict, cult-indoctrinated parents that try to limit my association at school, and so they do not allow me to delve into extracurricular activities (being shunned for even applying and successfully getting into Model UN). I'm afraid this will limit my ability to get into the University. I'm intelligent and should be set to score highly on the SAT/ACT and my AP exams as well. To try and counter this inability, I try to devote much of my time for personal research and reading. Exactly how valuable are extracurricular activities at Oxford, and, if I don't end up getting the ability to participate much outside of school, will that reflect poorly on my application/personal statement? Could I explain them of my situation? I'm going for PPE.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Not valuable for undergraduate entry.
leehoma
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UK universities generally don't care about extra curricular activities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChiaraMcD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They don't care at all.

In my interview, they didn't once mention any of the extra curricular activities in my personal statement and mine are fairly interesting (I compete on a GB sports team). Other universities may be interested but it is of no interest to Oxford. They did however, ask about some volunteering I had done that was specifically related to my course (volunteered at an Epileptic school and I am interested in Neuroscience). Not only did it demonstrate an outside interest in the subject but it acted as a platform for them to come up with some questions to test how interested you really are. Above all, the interview revolves entirely around their testing your existing knowledge and capacity for problem solving and thinking outside the box.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.33%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.55%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (74)
13.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.97%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.66%
Financial worries (35)
6.22%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.04%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.17%

Watched Threads