The Student Room Group

Should I pay for the girl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by battycatlady
Why should he have to?

It's not the 1800s.

I don't want to be paid for just because I'm a girl. It's sexist to women and unfair to men.

You either split or you take it in turns to pay for stuff.

I think it's right we pay for women on the first date. They are more deserving. It's sexist of a man to demand a woman pays anything.
Original post by xobeauty
Smh You really think it's sexist to open a door for a woman. It doesn't mean she uncapable of taking care of herself. it's just a sweet gesture.

If a man does not pay for the first date (and even the ones that follow), it is an example of sexism and misogyny in my opinion. A man should always pay
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You should hold the door open for someone who is going through behind you because they are a human being. (Or open doors for people who are physically unable or would have to use a considerable amount more effort than you to open it. e.g. elderly people, young children, people with certain physical disablities). Do good gestures because someone's a person, not because they're a woman.

I disagree. I would only open a door for the elderly, young child or physically unable. I would never and I say never open a door for a woman. That is sexism on the highest scale. I have been verbally attacked for doing it before. I will never do it again. I understand women are just as physicsly strong as men, and therefore able. I will never open a door for them as I believe in an equal society.
The distinct problem here is that there seems to be a consensus among many of the women on here that "whoever asks the other person out for the date should pay". Which sounds great, perfectly reasonable that the one who initiates the date should pay. That is until you factor in that most of the time its the guy asking the girl out. It's a clever way of saying they still want the guy to pay.

The other issue is that some on here say "I'll only let them pay if I want to carry on seeing them". There's 2 problems with that; firstly, lots of women don't think like that and see it as a free meal, the guy has no way of telling if the woman is genuinely interested, or conning them for a free meal. And secondly, lots of guys are turned off by girls accepting an offer to be paid for, unless the girl says specifically that they want to meet again and will pay (and even then they can be d one over by the girl in the last sentence).
It's a clear signalling problem, that many women signal that they want to see a guy again by not paying, whilst many men take a women not paying half as a potential problem in the relationship straight from the start, as it sets the potential relationship off on the wrong foot.

Also, the xobeauty girl is hilarious, "if a guy invites the girl he he MUST pay, if the girl invites the guy out, well, I guess maybe she COULD pay". These are the thots you want to avoid at all costs, they'll take you for every penny you have, then bitch about you to their friends for good measure...

Edit: despite all that I still normally pay for the first date, unless I think the girls playing me for a free meal, otherwise I'd look bad to every girl I take out and have no chance of getting any action. I think the best rule is to see how the date goes, if I don't think it went well I'd pay half, as I don't want to see them again. If I thought it went well and I initiated the date I'd offer to pay as it's the socially acceptabke thing to do, but it wouldn't take much convincing from the woman for me to split the bill...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by leinad2012

The other issue is that some on here say "I'll only let them pay if I want to carry on seeing them". There's 2 problems with that; firstly, lots of women don't think like that and see it as a free meal, the guy has no way of telling if the woman is genuinely interested, or conning them for a free meal. And secondly, lots of guys are turned off by girls accepting an offer to be paid for, unless the girl says specifically that they want to meet again and will pay (and even then they can be d one over by the girl in the last sentence).
It's a clear signalling problem, that many women signal that they want to see a guy again by not paying, whilst many men take a women not paying half as a potential problem in the relationship straight from the start, as it sets the potential relationship off on the wrong foot.

Fair point, which I why always a) make a genuine attempt to split (I'll say honestly that as a younger woman I always used to hope they said no when I offered to pay outright, purely because I was poor at the time, but I would have done if they had ever said yes. I do genuinely push for going dutch and am happy to do it) and b) I explicitly say I'll only let them pay if I can get the next one. I'd hope if we've had a good date the guy will trust his instincts and have faith in me, but splitting is fine with me anyway if not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The meal
I disagree. I would only open a door for the elderly, young child or physically unable. I would never and I say never open a door for a woman. That is sexism on the highest scale. I have been verbally attacked for doing it before. I will never do it again. I understand women are just as physicsly strong as men, and therefore able. I will never open a door for them as I believe in an equal society.

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. Because you seem to have not quite understood that I said people should hold the door open for someone coming though behind them. Or do you just close doors in people's faces because you're an ********?
Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. Because you seem to have not quite understood that I said people should hold the door open for someone coming though behind them. Or do you just close doors in people's faces because you're an ********?

What if a guy went out of his way to open the door for a girl, is that sexism ?
Original post by xobeauty
What if a guy went out of his way to open the door for a girl, is that sexism ?

If he only held open doors for women (or worse, only women he considered attractive): yes.
Split the bill.

If she gets mad about it, she's a b**** and doesn't deserve your affections.
If you invite someone for a first date, you pay for it! Whether you are a man or a woman. I cant believe people are saying split the bill, how rude.
If he only held open doors for women (or worse, only women he considered attractive): yes.

You know at times like this I understand why people hate modern day feminsts so much. If a guy is a gentleman, he should hold doors open for women. Of course nobody is required to be a gentlemen, every man is free to do as he chooses and be an *******

I hold doors open for women but wouldn't for men (lol) I guess I must be a sexist and a misandrist, boohoo
Original post by leinad2012
the guy has no way of telling if the woman is genuinely interested, or conning them for a free meal.

Really, is that how bad the economy is? Women will now put up with having to get dressed up and converse with a man they are not interested in just so they won't starve?
I would say in general, split the cost but if someone 'should' pay imo it should be the one who asked the other on a date regardless of gender
I don't think you should pay for her.
i don't want to be paid for for being a woman...but i do want to be paid for bc i'm cheap lmao :bigsmile:

i wouldn't expect a man to pay for me on a date but if they do I'm not complaining ...

but as you invited her then you should probably pay its not like she arranged the whole thing. she's kind of a 'guest' (not literally but hopefully u get what i mean)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
i don't want to be paid for for being a woman...but i do want to be paid for bc i'm cheap lmao :bigsmile:

i wouldn't expect a man to pay for me on a date but if they do I'm not complaining ...

but as you invited her then you should probably pay its not like she arranged the whole thing. she's kind of a 'guest' (not literally but hopefully u get what i mean)

I don't think it is a date though, and I think he is asking the question for that very reason, because although it isn't a date, he does want to date.
I can't believe this thread. Whoever invites pays! That makes it simple. Culturally the guys generally ask the girl out first and that is fine. If the girl asks, she should pay. No sexism involved just common sense courtesy. What bothers me about reading this thread is not about who pays and opens doors (because that is sexist?) but the fact that guys are saying they'll pay if they think they'll get 'action" later on - including the OP who is hoping to get intimate. To me that ulterior motive is much more offensive (on a first date) than having a door opened! Believe me, most girls will be instantly turned off if they think that is your motive - and happily pay her portion to get away from you. A date is to get to know someone for a potential future relationship. If you are respectful of that idea then whoever initiated the invitation should pay. I do know girls who've invited guys on first dates and the guys paid anyway because they wanted to. If the reason you are asking someone is to have buddy to pal around with then you can each pay.
Of course there are events such as a dance where one might be invited w/out the expectation of a potential relationship but, there again, courtesy dictates whoever invites pays.
Once a friendship or relationship has been established, and you're both on the same page, then it is okay to pay your own way or take turns paying whatever is mutually agreeable for you both.
Initially thought you were referring to sexual 'stuff'
Original post by Zargabaath
More triggering then an American high school in here

That is low
Original post by Makadia
I don't think it is a date though, and I think he is asking the question for that very reason, because although it isn't a date, he does want to date.

hmm well i think he should still pay it doesn't matter if its romantic or just friendly its just polite as he invited her. expecting her to pay half is definitely not going to help his case if he wants it to get to a date eventually anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending