danr2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
has anyone done igcse physics and got an A or A*? If so, can you give me any helpful tips as i have my exam next week?

thanksssssssssssssss!
danr2
Rep:
?
bump
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)
has anyone done igcse physics and got an A or A*? If so, can you give me any helpful tips as i have my exam next week?

thanksssssssssssssss!

Hey, I'm working at A/A* at CIE IGCSE and I'll say..

1) You've left it WAY too late.
2) Find the sybullas of your course then tick off the list (aka. print the list out)
3) Write all questions on a piece of paper and answer them all every day, not just pure drawings though.0
4) Mocks every 2 days and find out your weakness (you should of done this 1-2 months before exam and done each week)

Hope this helps.
danr2
Rep:
?
(Original post by ckfeister)

2) Find the sybullas of your course then tick off the list (aka. print the list out)
3) Write all questions on a piece of paper and answer them all every day, not just pure drawings though.0
4) Mocks every 2 days and find out your weakness (you should of done this 1-2 months before exam and done each week)

Hope this helps.
Oh ok. i get you mean haha..that's what i am currently doing but some of th questions aren't traightforward to understand
AbrarKhan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)

thanksssssssssssssss!
Are you doing the Edexcel or CIE board?
danr2
Rep:
?
(Original post by AbrarKhan)
Are you doing the Edexcel or CIE board?
edexcel.
AbrarKhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)
edexcel.
Sorry, I did CIE Physics AS and A2. But you can easily find notes for your syllabus online. And websites like physicsandmathstutor.com have solved past papers.
AbrarKhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Feel free to ask any questions. I will try to answer as best as I could.
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
@OP yep, A* at CIE IGCSE What in particular do you need help in? Exam next week, please tell me you had preparation prior? Have a rough idea of all that's being examined, I'd say chuck out a paper and find your week spots and work on them but don't neglect your strong suits. Oh and don't get confused - I got confused a lot during mocks. But generally, you should be in the routine for revising and feel more confident...

Hope this helps.
Uh.... mocks every 2 days? He'll exhaust himself very quikly. But generally good advice.
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)
Oh ok. i get you mean haha..that's what i am currently doing but some of th questions aren't traightforward to understand
Pretend their a baby and your teaching them it with the correct information required.

(Original post by Imperion)
@OP yep, A* at CIE IGCSE What in particular do you need help in? Exam next week, please tell me you had preparation prior? Have a rough idea of all that's being examined, I'd say chuck out a paper and find your week spots and work on them but don't neglect your strong suits. Oh and don't get confused - I got confused a lot during mocks. But generally, you should be in the routine for revising and feel more confident...

Uh.... mocks every 2 days? He'll exhaust himself very quikly. But generally good advice.
He only got a week left so...
danr2
Rep:
?
Pretend their a baby and your teaching them it with the correct information required.

He only got a week left so...
(Original post by Imperion)

i understand almost all the topics except heat transfer, waves, and partices ie. nuclear fission and fusiion!!!!
danr2
Rep:
?
i need help with convection,conduction and radiation..
danr2
Rep:
?
Feel free to ask any questions. I will try to answer as best as I could.
can you expain convection, conduction and radiation...
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)
i understand almost all the topics except heat transfer, waves, and partices ie. nuclear fission and fusiion!!!!
Search GCSE Physics then the topics then note down and study them, use the textbooks you got maybe teacher could give you the textbook if your at school?
AbrarKhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)
can you expain convection, conduction and radiation...
Conduction is the type of energy transfer in solids. The material itself doesn't move.
-Heat is transferred by the vibration of the particles/atoms of the solid.
-Or when the free electrons(as in metals) move from the hotter part to the colder part.

Convection is in case of gases and liquids(also known as fluids. Fluids aren't just liquid).
-Heat is transferred by 'convection currents'.
-For example: Let's take a beaker of water. If you heat one end, the water near the flame heats up, and expands. It rises upwards, and the colder water displaces it. This colder water heats up, rises up, more cold water displaces it, and it goes on like this, transferring heat.
-Hot air rising, and cold air falling is similar to this.

Unlike conduction and convection, radiation doesn't require a medium to travel through.
-When you put your hands in front of a heater during winter, that heat is transferred from the heater to you by radiation.(in medium)
-Sun's heat is transferred to Earth by radiation.(in vaccum)

An example that covers all the three heat transfer types:

A hot iron rod. Heat is transferred within itself by conduction, due to free electrons and vibration of particles inside it. Air "above" it is heated by convection. The hot air rises, cold air displaces and heats up again and this cycle repeats. The heat from its sides is transferred by radiation.

Now, if the iron rod was placed in vaccum, heat would only be transferred conduction and radiation.

Hope this is clear.
danr2
Rep:
?
Conduction is the type of energy transfer in solids. The material itself doesn't move.
-Heat is transferred by the vibration of the particles/atoms of the solid.
-Or when the free electrons(as in metals) move from the hotter part to the colder part.

Convection is in case of gases and liquids(also known as fluids. Fluids aren't just liquid).
-Heat is transferred by 'convection currents'.
-For example: Let's take a beaker of water. If you heat one end, the water near the flame heats up, and expands. It rises upwards, and the colder water displaces it. This colder water heats up, rises up, more cold water displaces it, and it goes on like this, transferring heat.
-Hot air rising, and cold air falling is similar to this.

Unlike conduction and convection, radiation doesn't require a medium to travel through.
-When you put your hands in front of a heater during winter, that heat is transferred from the heater to you by radiation.(in medium)
-Sun's heat is transferred to Earth by radiation.(in vaccum)

An example that covers all the three heat transfer types:

A hot iron rod. Heat is transferred within itself by conduction, due to free electrons and vibration of particles inside it. Air "above" it is heated by conduction. The hot air rises, cold air displaces and heats up again and this cycle repeats. The heat from its sides is transferred by radiation.

Now, if the iron rod was placed in vaccum, heat would only be transferred conduction and radiation.

Hope this is clear.
thanks bro!! i really understand it now!! i appreaciate that
danr2
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=AbrarKhan;
.[/QUOTE]

did you mean air above is heated by convection or conduction?? isn't it convection?
danr2
Rep:
?
can you explain the whole light waves( refractive index, total interna reflection etc))
AbrarKhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danr2)
did you mean air above is heated by convection or conduction?? isn't it convection?
That is convection. Conduction is inside the solid material.
danr2
Rep:
?
That is convection. Conduction is inside the solid material.
oh ok thanks!!! you made it easier now and i don't think i will forget it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads