The Student Room Group

How are final grades calculated?

sorry if this is the wrong spot first of all and I know most unis probably have their own way of doing things but I was wondering how final grading works for your degree?

e.g. is it based on percentages that are added up over both years (if first year is 0 towards your degree) or is it based on how many 2.1's or firsts you get (majority meaning you get that grade) as im trying to figure out if say I got one 2.2 (worth 5% of course) is actually going to affect me quite a bit overall or whether it can be boosted up a bit by getting a higher percentage in a module where ive gotten a first.

I bet this sounds like a load of waffle, its a bit hard to explain what I mean!
Original post by PinkAcid
sorry if this is the wrong spot first of all and I know most unis probably have their own way of doing things but I was wondering how final grading works for your degree?

e.g. is it based on percentages that are added up over both years (if first year is 0 towards your degree) or is it based on how many 2.1's or firsts you get (majority meaning you get that grade) as im trying to figure out if say I got one 2.2 (worth 5% of course) is actually going to affect me quite a bit overall or whether it can be boosted up a bit by getting a higher percentage in a module where ive gotten a first.

I bet this sounds like a load of waffle, its a bit hard to explain what I mean!

Hi there,

Your best bet is to talk to your course leaders, academic tutor or student services. All universities have a different method of working out your final degree classification.

:smile:
most people have spoken to the uni/course have a system where nothing in first year counts then in year 2 you do X credits and year 3 do you X credits, all of those percentages are averaged with a weighting towards final year, so anything you do in final year 'counts' more... I got a 50% on an essay in my second year and worked out that compared to getting 85% (a strong first) I'd lost 0.5% of my degree, obviously that is a teeny tiny amount! you will absolutely be able to work off a low mark
Reply 3
hey!! at my university, which is with essex, we do it where you add the final grade for each module to the rest of the final grades from other modules and divide by how ever many modules you done.
im nearing the end of my first year and although it doesnt count towards final classification, il use it as an example
module 1: 54.1
module 2: 45.7
module 3: 67.4
module 4: 49.3
module 5: 58.0

i havent completed module 6 yet so il leave that out

54.1 + 45.7 + 67.4 + 49.3 + 58.0 = 274.5 / 5 = 54.9 which is a 2:2 classification.

so although first year is not counted towards final classification, i know id be heading towards this grade. :smile:
Reply 4
Can someone plzz calculate my grades for me
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending