The Student Room Group

Can i ask to only work my contracted hours?

Hi im out of my probation (first 3 months of job) but only want to work my contracted hours (12) due to me studying. Can the employer sack me for requesting this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi ThomasD96,

It depends on the situation, and also the amount of hours which you are working. A contract is set by the employer to give you an idea as to what your hours are, and pay, etc. Studying Business I know that a contract is 'legally binding' and that technically you should work the hours which were first arranged. An employer can only really sack you if he believes that you may not be working hard enough, or another strong reason. Any extra time you do is your choice:smile:. (p.s. Only take the reply as a piece of advice, it is always recommended that you research as well, as this gives more more of an insight :smile:).

Thankyou
TornadoLord125
Original post by ThomasD96
Hi im out of my probation (first 3 months of job) but only want to work my contracted hours (12) due to me studying. Can the employer sack me for requesting this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually employers are really understanding with school/college/uni. You obviously agreed to the job because of your contracted hours, so if you just ask to not pick up extra hours for a while it should be fine. Education stays with you longer than a job, so you should definitely prioritise it.
Reply 3
Original post by Rebekah98
Usually employers are really understanding with school/college/uni. You obviously agreed to the job because of your contracted hours, so if you just ask to not pick up extra hours for a while it should be fine. Education stays with you longer than a job, so you should definitely prioritise it.

But am i obliged to work as many hours as they need me to? Or am i only needed to work my contract and if they sacked me would it be unfair dismissal?
My boss isnt the nicest of guys
Original post by ThomasD96
But am i obliged to work as many hours as they need me to? Or am i only needed to work my contract and if they sacked me would it be unfair dismissal?
My boss isnt the nicest of guys

If you've been working somewhere for less than two years they can get rid of you very easily and there is no claim for unfair dismissal in this time frame unless you have been discriminated against with regards to age, gender, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation or disability.

Saying that, do you work for a large organisation? If so, Your boss would be answerable to his boss and their internal procedures so that may give you some stability if it says to dismiss they must follow certain rules.

With regard to hours, it depends on what your contract says about overtime. Usually overtime is voluntary, but more and more employment contracts have overtime clauses in where overtime cannot reasonably be refused within your window of availability.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by brightonlad89
If you've been working somewhere for less than two years they can get rid of you very easily and there is no claim for unfair dismissal in this time frame unless you have been discriminated against with regards to age, gender, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation or disability.

Saying that, do you work for a large organisation? If so, Your boss would be answerable to his boss and their internal procedures so that may give you some stability if it says to dismiss they must follow certain rules.

With regard to hours, it depends on what your contract says about overtime. Usually overtime is voluntary, but more and more employment contracts have overtime clauses in where overtime cannot reasonably be refused within your window of availability.

I work for a large company but this branch only has about 30-40 employees in dofferent roles. It is retail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I were your boss then you would be fired. All contracts issued by my employers state working overtime is compulsory and those who refuse face dismissal.
Reply 7
Original post by MasterButcher
If I were your boss then you would be fired. All contracts issued by my employers state working overtime is compulsory and those who refuse face dismissal.

Thankfully I dont work for you. My education is more important so i'll ask for their opinion hypothetically and if they dont understand ill happily leave.

Having seen your previous posts theres clearly something not right with you mentally. You feel the need to go on the internet to put other people down, I genuinely feel sorry for people like yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MasterButcher

You are talking bs
Original post by brightonlad89

I hate this rule ... as somebody who works on a team that has under performing members on it who are "only still here because they've been here so long now that it's too much of a legal headache to get rid of them".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending