Help choosing interesting maths topic?

Watch this thread
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
for maths society i need to do a presentation. i had already started making a presentation on the cardinality of infinite sets but then i found someone else was doing the exact same thing (before me). now i need to start from scratch but i can't find any topic in maths that interests me. any ideas? ps. i like abstract maths excluding anything geometry/shapes.
otah007
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Something I'm interested in, and a topic our Maths Society covered, is fractals - did you know that they're called that because their dimensions are not integers (fractional -> fractal)? For example, the Sierpinski Triangle has Haussdorf dimension log(3)/log(2) ≈ 1.585. Show them how beautiful complex numbers can be with some images of the Mandelbrot Set!
Hasufel
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Ditto to the poster above - Julia Sets? can talk about the different types of points in them, the Fatou Domains, cantour sets (with an expanation of the middle-thirds cantour set), Fatou dust, and the fact that the set of all connected sets (of julia sets) IS the Mandelbrot set.
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Complex analysis or maybe path integrals.
AmazingArry
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by otah007)
Something I'm interested in, and a topic our Maths Society covered, is fractals - did you know that they're called that because their dimensions are not integers (fractional -> fractal)? For example, the Sierpinski Triangle has Haussdorf dimension log(3)/log(2) ≈ 1.585. Show them how beautiful complex numbers can be with some images of the Mandelbrot Set!
Love the Sierpinski Triangle and fractals. Doing combinatorics with Pascal's triangle is pretty neat too. Did a flimsy proof once for Fibonacci's sequences using Pascal's triangle. Took ages ... So many factorals.
Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (35)
68.63%
No (12)
23.53%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
7.84%

Watched Threads