Rimaarts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So. Living in england for past 6 years, came year after doing secondary education exams in my country. In my country(latvia) i was young and stupid and didnt really care and got bad marks. Here in england i met a special someone who made me realise that i wamt something better from my life than my grades would let me. So im studying for citzenship, driving licence and at the same time revising mathematics at home. Due to time constraints i really dont want to sit in the college for a year going trough 50% the stuff i already know/still remember

I guess my question is: i would like to do math gcse first, than english. Im confident i can study for them at home. Is my option really only a year long course on each subject, either distace learning or part time study in college? Judging by past math gcse papers, Im fairly confident that i could do it on a-b level with couple month of studies....
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rimaarts)
So. Living in england for past 6 years, came year after doing secondary education exams in my country. In my country(latvia) i was young and stupid and didnt really care and got bad marks. Here in england i met a special someone who made me realise that i wamt something better from my life than my grades would let me. So im studying for citzenship, driving licence and at the same time revising mathematics at home. Due to time constraints i really dont want to sit in the college for a year going trough 50% the stuff i already know/still remember

I guess my question is: i would like to do math gsec first, than english. Im confident i can study for them at home. Is my option really only a year long course on each subject, either distace learning or part time study in college? Judging by past math gsec papers, Im fairly confident that i could do it on a-b level with couple month of studies....
Don't do 1 GCSE at a time.. I'd advise doing at homeschool unless you want to change careers and know what you want to do.

If you know what you want to do apply for GCSE English/Maths (if university route look at Access Course L3 in the topic you want to study at)

If you don't know.. do..
GCSE English/Maths/Biology/Chemistry/Physics or if you don't like science GCSE Science (single or double) with a language and history? Than go from there.

REMINDER: GCSE MATHS/ENGLISH IS NOW 1-9 NOT U-A* and more to come into that form.
Rimaarts
Rep:
?
I would love to do home school but my job and commitments is a priority for me and after all of that I have 1-2h a day free in a late evenings... I don't think that is enough for more than 1-2 gsec at a time... No?

And... By home school you mean one of those paid online learning courses?

If im succesfull with math/english i was planning to do sience next.... I think that is more useful than languages for me...

And.... I just realised... Normal gcse is 9th grade education... Secondary education is a level gsec? So i have to go straight for that if i have finished promary school in my country and done secondary there years ago but not happy with results?
ruby420
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is gsec?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So im studying for citzenship, driving licence and at the same time revising mathematics at home. Due to time constraints i really dont want to sit in the college for a year going trough 50% the stuff i already know/still remember

I guess my question is: i would like to do math gsec first, than english. Im confident i can study for them at home. Is my option really only a year long course on each subject, either distace learning or part time study in college? Judging by past math gsec papers, Im fairly confident that i could do it on a-b level with couple month of studies....
If you want to take a subject that is 100% assessed by exams (like Maths GCSE) and think you can teach yourself then you just need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and then take the exams there. The most popular syllabus by far is Edexcel's http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...cs-a-2010.html (Follow the link to past papers etc) The exams are next available in the Summer (entry deadline officially 21 February but you need to get looking ASAP if you want to find somewhere) or in November, entry deadline 4 October.
awais_k
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckfeister)
Don't do 1 GCSE at a time.. I'd advise doing at homeschool unless you want to change careers and know what you want to do.

If you know what you want to do apply for GCSE English/Maths (if university route look at Access Course L3 in the topic you want to study at)

If you don't know.. do..
GCSE English/Maths/Biology/Chemistry/Physics or if you don't like science GCSE Science (single or double) with a language and history? Than go from there.

REMINDER: GCSE MATHS/ENGLISH IS NOW 1-9 NOT U-A* and more to come into that form.
Only if you're not sitting the GCSE examinations this June.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If im succesfull with math/english i was planning to do sience next.... I think that is more useful than languages for me...

And.... I just realised... Normal gcse is 9th grade education... Secondary education is a level gsec? So i have to go straight for that if i have finished promary school in my country and done secondary there years ago but not happy with results?
Maths and English GCSE are a good starting point, what to do after that depends what your long term aim is.

GCSEs are normally taken at age 16. There is little point trying to take a load of GCSEs if you are in your 20s - an access course would probably be a better bet, but I'd start with the Maths and see how you get on.
Rimaarts
Rep:
?
the more i do my research the more confused i get... i guess part of it is language terminology problems.

there is this http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...d-mark-schemes
which is a complete chineese for me and in my country we study in university first course (or 12th grade in technical secondary educations)

and than there is this. http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...pecimen-papers

do i really need to get ready for first kind of mathematics to get INTO university? (p.s. again, language terminology... university and college is the same, isnt it?)

well.. doing something is better than doing nothing...
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the more i do my research the more confused i get... i guess part of it is language terminology problems.

there is this http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...d-mark-schemes
which is a complete chineese for me and in my country we study in university first course (or 12th grade in technical secondary educations)

and than there is this. http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...pecimen-papers

do i really need to get ready for first kind of mathematics to get INTO university? (p.s. again, language terminology... university and college is the same,
To get onto pretty much any university course or Access course you need GCSEs in Maths and English and then some more subject specific higher level qualifications (e.g. A levels). If you weren't in this country for GCSes and could manage A level then only a daft place wouldn't accept that iin lieu of the Maths GCSE and it would help in your eventual plans to progress
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads