The Student Room Group

Practical advice for an international student

What is the practical advice you'd give an international student who's going to study and live in the UK for the first time?
Something that someone who hasn't lived in the UK wouldn't know, or probably something that your mother or father told you before you went to university. Or whatever you can think of.
Original post by Ecro
What is the practical advice you'd give an international student who's going to study and live in the UK for the first time?
Something that someone who hasn't lived in the UK wouldn't know, or probably something that your mother or father told you before you went to university. Or whatever you can think of.

I am an international student as well where are you from.
Original post by Ecro

Hi there!

Studying abroad, regardless of where it is, takes a lot of getting used to. If you're coming to the UK, be sure to look up a lot of information about here. Typical do's and don't's, the weather and climate, the social aspects, the cities and places. The UK is a beautiful place and there should be plenty of information online regarding it.

I'd say one of the main things is trying to understand as much about the place you'll be visiting. The weather can be a surprising factor to some, especially those who are from warmer climates; the weather here can change rapidly from sunshine to rain and wind. I've talked to many international students, and many of them have told me about how they were not expecting the weather.

The UK's humour is a bit different from many places, and the social norms will most likely be different. Keep an open mind when meeting new people as social etiquette could easy be different.

I hope this helps a bit, let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Muukasarah
I am an international student as well where are you from.

I am from Bulgaria. What about you?

Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there!

Studying abroad, regardless of where it is, takes a lot of getting used to. If you're coming to the UK, be sure to look up a lot of information about here. Typical do's and don't's, the weather and climate, the social aspects, the cities and places. The UK is a beautiful place and there should be plenty of information online regarding it.

I'd say one of the main things is trying to understand as much about the place you'll be visiting. The weather can be a surprising factor to some, especially those who are from warmer climates; the weather here can change rapidly from sunshine to rain and wind. I've talked to many international students, and many of them have told me about how they were not expecting the weather.

The UK's humour is a bit different from many places, and the social norms will most likely be different. Keep an open mind when meeting new people as social etiquette could easy be different.

I hope this helps a bit, let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Actually, that's quite funny, because I'd like to study at University of Glasgow. A coincidence, I guess.

Also, you said that you've talked to many international students. How do they find the accent? I've heard it once or twice, and didn't understand anything. But I might have been listening to someone who has very strong accent.

Best,
Ecro
Original post by Ecro
I am from Bulgaria.
Actually, that's quite funny, because I'd like to study at University of Glasgow. A coincidence, I guess.

Also, you said that you've talked to many international students. How do they find the accent? I've heard it once or twice, and didn't understand anything. But I might have been listening to someone who has very strong accent.

Hey!

Glad to hear you're interested in Glasgow! It's a great city and a brilliant university. Glasgow actually has a large Bulgarian society and a very large International student population - both of which are great for helping new students settle into university and into Glasgow.

Many students, particularly some Scottish students, can indeed have strong accents. At the start it can be a bit overwhelming, but after a while you'll get used to it and you'll be able to understand Scots better than other international English speakers! But, of course, not everyone has a strong accent, and you'll meet students from all around Scotland and all around the world.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
I'm from Zambia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending