The Student Room Group

F216 - OCR Biology Coursework

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kingaaran
Exactly that

Thank you! Is this a required calculation for the quantitative (leaf variation in terrestrial plants) or am I reading too far into this?
Reply 61
Exactly that

Last question: what would be the units of leaf density. Number of spiked doesn't have a unit so it just cm^-1 ??
Original post by KB_97
Thank you! Is this a required calculation for the quantitative (leaf variation in terrestrial plants) or am I reading too far into this?

Yes :smile: You shouldn't worry. Honestly they guide you through the calculation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KB_97
Last question: what would be the units of leaf density. Number of spiked doesn't have a unit so it just cm^-1 ??

Yes, but mm^-1 is the better alternative (and the one they ask you to measure in)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Yes, but mm^-1 is the better alternative (and the one they ask you to measure in)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher told me to revise chi squared. I do this in maths so I know how to do it in general but I'm not sure how I could do this for spine density/spine number in leaves? What would be the expected number? Am I given this or do I calculate it by (row total* column total ) / grand total ?
Original post by KB_97
My teacher told me to revise chi squared. I do this in maths so I know how to do it in general but I'm not sure how I could do this for spine density/spine number in leaves? What would be the expected number? Am I given this or do I calculate it by (row total* column total ) / grand total ?

The last one. Honestly don't worry! They guide you through that calculation like you're stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
The last one. Honestly don't worry! They guide you through that calculation like you're stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic!! Thanks for the help and quick replied. I'm just kinda stressed. I have 3 in one day on Tuesday.
Original post by KB_97
Fantastic!! Thanks for the help and quick replied. I'm just kinda stressed. I have 3 in one day on Tuesday.

I had that too. They're really simple dw. You'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I am doing all 3 for yeast/NaCl from Tuesday 19th April? If you have any notes or can remember any of the questions please PM me! Also I missed the qual and eval for the ecology pieces - I've completed the measuring of leaf spines but not the other two!

Thanks!
:-)
Original post by GetOverHere
I've done the quantitative and evaluative for yeast/NaCl. I also did my qualitative but for some reason I can't remember what it was about. If someone knows what all three possible qualitative tasks are, it'll probably jog my memory.
Reply 69
Hi I'm doing the qualitative on kidneys next week and thats literally all we've been told about it...I'd appreciate any help you can give me on what do and what it consists of. Thanks
Reply 70
Original post by KB_97
How do you calculate spine density of a leaf? Number of spines / length of leaf??

Or do I have to calculate approximate area or circumference of the leaf?

Yeah its no of spines/ leaf length, i did it today and it tells you how to work out the spine density in the booklet thats given to you
Reply 71
Original post by Bibso23
Hi I'm doing the qualitative on kidneys next week and thats literally all we've been told about it...I'd appreciate any help you can give me on what do and what it consists of. Thanks

Same here.
Original post by weamy
Same here.

hey guys, I am afraid I cant help with the kidney task. I am yet to do my first one!

is anyone able to give me any info on the 'investigating leaf variation' - i have it on Tuesday and have no idea what to expect

Thanks
Original post by Bibso23
Yeah its no of spines/ leaf length, i did it today and it tells you how to work out the spine density in the booklet thats given to you

This is helpful - do you have any other tips from the leaf variation practical? I have no idea what to expect!
Reply 74
Original post by bethanykread
hey guys, I am afraid I cant help with the kidney task. I am yet to do my first one!

is anyone able to give me any info on the 'investigating leaf variation' - i have it on Tuesday and have no idea what to expect

Thanks

I can't say too much as we are not allowed to discuss specifics.
This one is very easy, the worst that could happen is that you prick yourself on the leaves (Happened to me so many times). Most of it is just numbers and calculations.
I would revise abiotic and biotic factors and learn how to draw a table.

You'll be fine.
Original post by weamy
I can't say too much as we are not allowed to discuss specifics.
This one is very easy, the worst that could happen is that you prick yourself on the leaves (Happened to me so many times). Most of it is just numbers and calculations.
I would revise abiotic and biotic factors and learn how to draw a table.

You'll be fine.

Thank you so much for the advise - maybe I'll wear gloves. I am new to this site and have now realised how it works in terms of being able to offer general advise but not specifics!

have you covered osmosis in red blood cells and/or ion concentration with model plant cells?

Thank you - you've put my mind at rest!
Original post by Bibso23

Obviously I can't discuss specifics but it's a pretty simple task. It's qualitative so obviously you are observing observable changes (e.g. colour).
Make sure you know exactly what substances should be present in the blood, filtrate and urine. I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
Does anyone know anything about the yeast eval? I need an a* and really need help as we've not been through it in class! Thanks!
Reply 78
Original post by bethanykread
Thank you so much for the advise - maybe I'll wear gloves. I am new to this site and have now realised how it works in terms of being able to offer general advise but not specifics!

have you covered osmosis in red blood cells and/or ion concentration with model plant cells?

Thank you - you've put my mind at rest!

I'm glad to have helped.

I have done both of those two. The latter is easy. Just learn how to use visking tubing and how to do graph.

The former takes some time to do but also easy. Learn how to do table.

Make sure you revise on osmosis for both the practicals.
Reply 79
Original post by inkinkink
Does anyone know anything about the yeast eval? I need an a* and really need help as we've not been through it in class! Thanks!

What's the title for this?? I'm not sure if I've done this or have it coming up. Is this about immobilised enzymes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending