The Student Room Group

Parents not happy with my career choice-Advice please.

Scroll to see replies

to be a nurse you still need to get a nursing/midwifery degree? wouldn't it have been better to do a levels as it might be hard to get into a good uni with a level 3 vocational qualification. your parents probably just think you're 'wasting' your talent. i remember there was a girl in my year got A*s then left to study level ONE hair and beauty at a college. :O i couldn't help but think what a waste of intelligence. obviously your situation is different but parents see thinks differently. my mum got upset with for just saying i didn't want to study medicine! but i don't see what u would've lost from doing a levels and increasing ur chances of getting into a prestigious university.
Reply 21
Original post by digitalangel18
Most uni students I talk to either do law or psychology like they're in demand *rolls eyes*.

Do what makes YOU happy.

Well for some of those people it was their choice to study so it's no different to this case, they want to do what makes them happy.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I respect you OP :frown:

Thanks.:smile:
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
to be a nurse you still need to get a nursing/midwifery degree? wouldn't it have been better to do a levels as it might be hard to get into a good uni with a level 3 vocational qualification. your parents probably just think you're 'wasting' your talent. i remember there was a girl in my year got A*s then left to study level ONE hair and beauty at a college. :O i couldn't help but think what a waste of intelligence. obviously your situation is different but parents see thinks differently. my mum got upset with for just saying i didn't want to study medicine! but i don't see what u would've lost from doing a levels and increasing ur chances of getting into a prestigious university.

Yeah, i did get accepetdin to sixthform but during that time, i just though it would be easier to do BTEC since, i am conssidering nursing/midwifery and you get practical experience with that and uni rankings would not matter in that career?

I don't consider myself as "smart" but now i wish i actually went sixthform.:redface:
Original post by ujuo_
Well for some of those people it was their choice to study so it's no different to this case, they want to do what makes them happy.

I'm not saying law/psychology shouldn't do what makes them happy, but there isn't a demand for grads in those subjects, and she can reassure her parents with the fact her degree will be sought-after.
Original post by claireestelle
Get yourself some work experience in both, I dont know how old you are but you could see if your local maternity unit offers volunteering and do some hospital/nursing home/ charity volunteering for nursing (if you know which field of nursing you would like to work in i could give better suggestions?)

At themoment, i do wmy work expereince ina nursery which is not great, i would prefer a hospital but its so hard for them to accept you, its like you have to know someone who works in a hospital to arrange a placement for you.:frown:

I am 17 btw, 18 next month.

Edit: i am interested in child nursing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by digitalangel18
I'm not saying law/psychology shouldn't do what makes them happy, but there isn't a demand for grads in those subjects, and she can reassure her parents with the fact her degree will be sought-after.

Yeah true, well at least she'll be fine with the fact that she can get a job. But my aunt who lives in America said that there'll be an increase in demand for psychologists in schools because both teachers and students really need it a lot now
Original post by Blackstarr
My parents are not happy with the fact that i want to become a midwife/nurse(still considering which one)because they want me to become a lawyer as it is more prestegious but i can't now since i have opted to go college to do Health and Social Carelevel 3 instead of sixthfrom.:frown:

Sometimes, i do feel hurt by their comments and feel like i should have listend to what they have said because "they know best"but on the other hand, i am not much of a book reader and don't see myself sitting in one place on a computer screen for like 12 hours.:redface:

I just don't know what to do but want to work/have a career in the health care sector because i do want to help vulnerable people and make a difference to their lives.

I need help asap.

You're going to be the one doing the job, a job you may have many years, you don't want to end up something in you don't like and be miserable. Remember it's something you'd be doing almost daily, it's your life, your choice! They know best? I think you know what is best for you. Stick to what you like and don't let them change your decision into something you can't see yourself doing. They'll get over it. :smile:
Original post by Black Rose
You're going to be the one doing the job, a job you may have many years, you don't want to end up something in you don't like and be miserable. Remember it's something you'd be doing almost daily, it's your life, your choice! They know best? I think you know what is best for you. Stick to what you like and don't let them change your decision into something you can't see yourself doing. They'll get over it. :smile:

Yeah, i gues so, i i have talked to them abut it and things are better now but the prob is, how do i know which career: nursing or midwifery?
At themoment, i do wmy work expereince ina nursery which is not great, i would prefer a hospital but its so hard for them to accept you, its like you have to know someone who works in a hospital to arrange a placement for you.:frown:

I am 17 btw, 18 next month.

Edit: i am interested in child nursing.

Once you hit 18, getting experience should be easier, have you considered seeing if volunteering at a childrens hospice is a possibility for you, if you re not having much luck with hospitals themselves.
Reply 30
A lawyer is just a glorified estate agent and everyone hates them. You do your thang.
Reply 31
My parents are not happy with the fact that i want to become a midwife/nurse(still considering which one)because they want me to become a lawyer as it is more prestegious but i can't now since i have opted to go college to do Health and Social Carelevel 3 instead of sixthfrom.:frown:

Sometimes, i do feel hurt by their comments and feel like i should have listend to what they have said because "they know best"but on the other hand, i am not much of a book reader and don't see myself sitting in one place on a computer screen for like 12 hours.:redface:

I just don't know what to do but want to work/have a career in the health care sector because i do want to help vulnerable people and make a difference to their lives.

I need help asap.

LET ME GUESS, they don't have a prestiguous job themselves, do they??

I need help asap.

Parents seem to want their children to have a highly paid amazing job, just because they are your parents and legitimately they want you to do or be the best which everyone can understand. Some people view Brain surgeons and Lawyers as the best.

But if its not what you want to do it isn't the best for you. Everyone cant be Lawyers and Doctors how boring would the world be !

As you said you want to help vulnerable people and to be honest that's one of the best things humans can do, helping each other. If they aren't happy with it then make sure you are because in the end that's all that matters.
Given the commitment of Law: 3 years Law degree + Law school + 70 - 80 hour work weeks, it wouldn't be worth pursuing unless you're self-motivated to the career given it's competitive nature.
Of all the stories I've heard, I get the impression parents only know three career paths - law, medicine and maybe engineering. Even if they didn't take those paths themselves.
There is too many law graduates and not enough jobs. If you graduate with a law degree you are likely to be doing a job in retail or admin which you will not like as you won't find a job you want right away or it being extremely competitive. Most law students end up in a graduate job.
You will get a job right away with Nursing, there is alot of opportunities such as being a nurse prescriber, traveling etc and it is very rewarding. Your parents will accept it in time.
Yeah, i gues so, i i have talked to them abut it and things are better now but the prob is, how do i know which career: nursing or midwifery?

I have just realised this is in Chat, I could move it over to the midwifery and nursing forum so you can get advice if you want? Actually, it's probably better that you make a new thread, so that it's clear what you're asking. :smile:

Forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=640 Good luck :smile:
Reply 37
Midwife/nurse is a great career choice, f**k em and do what you want to do or you'll regret it. God, I couldn't stand having parents who put me down like that, ignore them:smile:
lawyers are scum

be a banker

jk <3 love you slaughter & may
Yeah, its seems rubbish but its a culture thing.

If you are a lawyer, doctor then you are respected but if anything else then, there is no respect for you.

The 'respect' of those whose sole qualification for success must be borne up on the shoulders of their reluctant, browbeaten offspring, is really no different from narcissism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending