Can I have a girlfriend AND get a first class honors? Watch

james.proctor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my first year, I think this was possible. Second year, semester 1, I had a girlfriend and got a 2.1 - I had to put a lot of time aside for her though, and late nights 'in bed' left me feeling exhausted the next day. I was on study abroad for this semester though, so the content was easier. Second semester, second year, I can't be with her and I'm moving back to england (studying at a russel group uni on a difficult course)

Going into second year, semester 2, I'm told that it's difficult. Is there anyone out there who has/is getting a 1.1 and has a sound social life? I want to have a girlfriend, attend sports/gym and also get a 1.1. Not sure how realistic all this is. (Studying economics at a top 5-10 uni)

Sometimes I think finding love, is more important than a 1.1 over a 2.1. After all, grades/money isn't what will make you happy in life (well, not for me at least) - love is what unites poor and rich.

Don't want to graduate uni, feeling lonely and not being able to find anyone when I'm on the 9-5 grind.
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
biceps
Ananaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, if your girlfriend is a blow-up doll.
41b
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Simply put, you can't really do it. You can get a low first. But if you want 80+, it's not possible with her around more than occasionally.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Why don't you study together OP, and also test each other?

Most of the people I knew who graduated with firsts had a partner and were happy and balanced overall. I'm not even getting a 2.2 this year because I'm so depressed and lonely.
james.proctor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)

Most of the people I knew who graduated with firsts had a partner and were happy and balanced overall. I'm not even getting a 2.2 this year because I'm so depressed and lonely.
Well I haven't asked anyone out yet, but I'd doubt that they'd be on my course (lectures aren't really the place for picking up girls). Just don't want to embark on asking someone out, to then neglect them and get heart break.
james.proctor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Proxenus)
biceps
I have biceps. What's your point?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by james.proctor)
Well I haven't asked anyone out yet, but I'd doubt that they'd be on my course (lectures aren't really the place for picking up girls). Just don't want to embark on asking someone out, to then neglect them and get heart break.
I don't mean you have to study the same thing just have library sessions together and use textbooks or other resources to quiz each other with.

I know what you mean though I know finding someone would be lovely but I'm scared of getting hurt and then messing my degree up even more. What I will say though is that the right person will understand how busy you are.
username1432499
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
biceps
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have biceps. What's your point?
good man
james.proctor
Rep:
?
good man
Triceps make up like 70% of the arm mass anyway
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Keep strong <3
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sometimes I think finding love, is more important than a 1.1 over a 2.1. After all, grades/money isn't what will make you happy in life (well, not for me at least) - love is what unites poor and rich.
Love can disappoint you too. I would focus on your studies first. You only experience uni once (unless you do a masters). Plenty of time to find a chick when you graduate.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
just **** the girl then go back to studying. dont do all the relationship stuff
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
x
She's going to take your money when you graduate. :rofl:
Everyone: :gasp:
You: :sad:
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see why you couldn't. I have a friend who's mum raised a family, commuted to Canterbury every day (3 hour round trip) and was working while doing her degree. She got 87% overall, good time management goes a loooong way
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dont see why not, my partner graduated with a 1st and we got together towards the beginning in the second year. I did generally try my best to help him stay motivated and proof read any of his work. If your girlfriend is having a bad effect on your grades, then speak to her and say that you need some space to do work from time to time.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course you can, just learn to balance the studying and rutting.

The rather hackneyed you can't get a first and have a social life/whatever statements are usually trotted out by those who spent half their degrees playing computer games/watching TV.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 years ago
Multitasking is the key, perhaps you need a desk with more space underneath?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's easy enough, you just need to prioritise and make good use of your time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads