Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how to sing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi i wouldn't say i have a good voice but i just like singing lol but i was wondering how do you make your voice go like erm, shaky at the end of a note (does any1 know what i mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    hi i wouldn't say i have a good voice but i just like singing lol but i was wondering how do you make your voice go like erm, shaky at the end of a note (does any1 know what i mean)
    lol do a whitney houston

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol do a whitney houston
    lol seriously does any1 know

ReputationRep:
    You alternate between 2 notes? - i am no musician, so don't count on what i am saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol do a whitney houston
    LOL!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's called vibrato there are several types. The hardest but most affective is acchieved with diaphragm control (varying pressure of air) this takes a lot of practice and some classical training. A similar affect can be achieved by shaking the jaw but it doesn't carry as well and doesn't sound as good. I am really a brass player but the same thing applies. I suggest some singing lessons with a good classical singing teacher. You will learn how to breath properly and control tone. Only when you can do these things can you achieve an effective vibrato.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    It's called vibrato there are several types. The hardest but most affective is acchieved with diaphragm control (varying pressure of air) this takes a lot of practice and some classical training. A similar affect can be achieved by shaking the jaw but it doesn't carry as well and doesn't sound as good. I am really a brass player but the same thing applies. I suggest some singing lessons with a good classical singing teacher. You will learn how to breath properly and control tone. Only when you can do these things can you achieve an effective vibrato.

MB
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh *handbags*

ReputationRep:
    Also, I think that i is often overdone. You must be careful that it doesn't detract from the music.

MB

ReputationRep:

MB
    lol no way im way to embarrased to go for lessons, any idea how to pratice on my own at all :confused:
    thanx for the info

ReputationRep:
    Ok, first you have to tell me what style of music? I can teach you how to breath properly here if you want.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I don't think vibrato is always needed when singing. I'd much prefer to hear someone sing a note that is really strong on just one tone as opposed to going all vibrato, which is actually easy to do. (trust me, I do it all the time as it takes far less control.)

The way to improve singing is first to get the breathing sorted out. When you breathe in, you have to smile, and inhale really deeply and quite fast. Then let it out really slowly, over say 8-16 beats. It is good to sing the italian vowels while doing this, as that gets your mouth all warmed up. (Ah, eh, ih, oh, ooh)

The other way to improve singing is literally to sing as often as you can. Try to sing songs that are in a nice middle range to start off with, and gradually increase the range to see what your true potential is. Always warm up first with a Sister Act 2-esque la la la la la thing (if u know what I mean!)

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I love singing, and think more people should be brave enough to sing without being embarassed. The voice is a great instrument! Use it proudly!

oh, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, first you have to tell me what style of music? I can teach you how to breath properly here if you want.

MB
    thanks it'll sound stupid but its just an example lol - u know that blue song breath easy , lee has a good vibrato at the end of notes on the chorus id like to sing like him
    (i don't like blue)

ReputationRep:
    breathing - lesson one.

Stand up and breath out. Then bend forward at your wast and breath out as much as you can (some should come out naturally as you bend over). This will clear all the old, stale air from your lungs. Then stand up straight. Put your shoulders back and relax. Take a deep breath from the "bottom of your lungs" Push out your belly (push down with your diaphragm) but keep your shoulders lowered. Then slowly expell all the air you can standing up. You must practice this sort of exercise as much as possible. You will soon achieve grat diaphagm control.

MB

ReputationRep:
    thanks it'll sound stupid but its just an example lol - u know that blue song breath easy , lee has a good vibrato at the end of notes on the chorus id like to sing like him
    (i don't like blue)
    I don't know the song. I don't reall know anything apart from art (classical) music.

MB

ReputationRep:
    breathing - lesson one.

Stand up and breath out. Then bend forward at your wast and breath out as much as you can (some should come out naturally as you bend over). This will clear all the old, stale air from your lungs. Then stand up straight. Put your shoulders back and relax. Take a deep breath from the "bottom of your lungs" Push out your belly (push down with your diaphragm) but keep your shoulders lowered. Then slowly expell all the air you can standing up. You must practice this sort of exercise as much as possible. You will soon achieve grat diaphagm control.

MB
    Oh yes, forgot to say, when you are breathing out you must try and keep a steady flow of air. This will mean using more diaphagm pressure as your lungs become more empty. It may start to hurt which is a good sign but also means you should take a break for a bit.

MB

Why don't you just do a slipknot, they call that singing apparently. Basically shout a lot, you'll be famous in no time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the song. I don't reall know anything apart from art (classical) music.

MB
    lol don't blame you, i just want my voice to tremble a bit rather than being plain, do u have to born wiv the skill :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Why don't you just do a slipknot, they call that singing apparently. Basically shout a lot, you'll be famous in no time.
    and obviously wear a mask so that your voice is completely muffled

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the breathing advice, ive just tried it - and feel dizzy :cool:

ReputationRep:
    lol don't blame you, i just want my voice to tremble a bit rather than being plain, do u have to born wiv the skill :confused:
    No, not at all. It is just practice - see my above posts. Once your breathing and diaphragm strength are good then you can start to do vibrato and other fun stuff. "Twang" exercises may also help: sing Nya nya nya.... up and down scales making it sound twangy.

MB

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.