What The Heck is "Quantity" Supposed to Mean?!

Watch
Ghost182
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there, just had a question on Economics and was looking for an answer, not really a student, but I figured, hey, where better to get an answer on economics lol

There are 8 possible scenarios involving changes in supply and demand that people are supposed to memorize in AS Economics:

The Four Times when Either Demand OR Supply Move on Their Own:
Rising Demand - Increase in Qty - Increase in Price
Falling Demand - Decrease in Qty - Decrease in Price
Rising Supply - Increase in Qty - Decrease in Price
Falling Supply - Decrease in Qty - Increase in Price

And The Four Times When Both Supply AND Demand Move Together:
Rising Demand - Falling Supply - ? Change in Qty - Big Increase in Price
Rising Supply - Falling Demand - ? Change in Qty - Big Decrease in Price
Rising Demand AND Supply - Big Increase in Qty - ? Change in Price
Falling Demand AND Supply - Big Decrease in Qty - ? Change in Price

While price is pretty self explanatory in every situation, I have yet to fully understand what "Quantity" represents. What does it mean in these examples? Does it mean "Equilibrium Quantity"? If so, can somebody please explain how the "Quantity Demanded" and "Quantity Supplied" are related to each other, and how the theory behind quantity as a whole relates to/ties in with each of the examples above?

Obviously trying to grasp the basics, would really appreciate some help.

Thanks ^_-
nju
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If we were looking at the potato market, quantity supplied is the number of potatoes sold and quantity demanded is the number of potatoes wanted by customers. The equilibrium quantity will be when the quantity supplied= quantity demanded.

The best way to understand the examples above is to draw a supply and demand graph with price on the y axis and quantity on the x axis and shift each line to see the effects. So using your first scenario where demand rises, the demand curve will shift up which increases the equilibrium price and quantity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise