The Student Room Group

Retaking AS exam

hey there, if I were to retake my AS exam, can i retake like only a few papers but not the whole paper for the subject? (eg, paper 1 and paper 2 for biology instead of paper 1 + paper 2 + practical paper)

and also, how much is the cost for retaking AS?

is there any universities that do not accept retake AS results?
Original post by alvl_student
hey there, if I were to retake my AS exam, can i retake like only a few papers but not the whole paper for the subject? (eg, paper 1 and paper 2 for biology instead of paper 1 + paper 2 + practical paper)

Yes, you can and you'll need to ask your centre.

It depends on the course that you're interested in.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1

thank you!
Reply 3
and btw, do you know like how they count the marks if i only retake for biology paper 2?
Original post by usycool1

At my school its £20 per paper. And usually (depending on the uni) they will allow you to resit one of the papers without it counting as an official retake of that subject. (for example, I'm retaking chem unit 2 , which doesn't count as retaking the whole year as it is just one paper.). Also if you retake the whole years work (all the papers from one or more subjects) the grades you will need to achieve sometimes go up (eg from AAB to AAA)

Sorry if this doesn't quite make sense! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Amellia123
At my school its £20 per paper. And usually (depending on the uni) they will allow you to resit one of the papers without it counting as an official retake of that subject. (for example, I'm retaking chem unit 2 , which doesn't count as retaking the whole year as it is just one paper.). Also if you retake the whole years work (all the papers from one or more subjects) the grades you will need to achieve sometimes go up (eg from AAB to AAA)

Sorry if this doesn't quite make sense! :smile:

Actually right, I appreciate your response but I don't really get It though 😅 Like if I only retake one paper of the subject eg chem paper 2, and I got like a high mark so my overall grade for AS chem would definitely go up as well right? They would sort of like give a new grade for my chem?
Actually right, I appreciate your response but I don't really get It though 😅 Like if I only retake one paper of the subject eg chem paper 2, and I got like a high mark so my overall grade for AS chem would definitely go up as well right? They would sort of like give a new grade for my chem?

Yes that's right :smile: sorry if I didn't quite make it clear enough! But yes, if you resit one paper and get a higher mark than before, then the over all grade/mark will go up
Reply 7
Original post by Amellia123
Yes that's right :smile: sorry if I didn't quite make it clear enough! But yes, if you resit one paper and get a higher mark than before, then the over all grade/mark will go up

Thank you for the response! The a level you're talking about is for CIE A-level not Edexcel right? :smile:
Thank you for the response! The a level you're talking about is for CIE A-level not Edexcel right? :smile:

Its for AQA, OCR, Edexcel... I'm not quite sure how the other exam boards work, but I would have thought that they worked the same way? And you're welcome! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest