Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know the proofs of all identities and half angle formulas? anything else?

ReputationRep:
    we dont need the proofs for the addition formulas yea :confused:

ReputationRep:
    no u don't need to learn the proofs for most of those identities mentioned in Trig section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    no u don't need to learn the proofs for most of those identities mentioned in Trig section.
    the spec says that you need to learn the basic trig proofs, which is very non-specific and really annoys me, because what is basic? it could mean everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    the spec says that you need to learn the basic trig proofs, which is very non-specific and really annoys me, because what is basic? it could mean everything.
    Most of the trig formulas are in the formula book, the other formulas you need could then be derived from these formulas - so the half angle formula can be formed fro the double angle formula etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wolf, as I understand things (which is highly suspect to my mathematical stupour) we need only know the identities which are not provided in the formula MOOKLET. Yes, I did say MOOKLET. You need to be able to use the double angle formulae in particular when re-arranging equations and proving identities...

Then again, most I can do is SCRAPE a B in P2... Ah well... never was much of a mathematician (sp?).

U ever done P2 before Wolf? If so, what was ur UMS...? Ive never done it, im scared, as I can only competently integrate, rearrange fractions and expand binomials. Differentiation refuses to work properly!!! GAH!

Good luck Wolf and if ive made a dire error, please let me know. Only one more day till P2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Sally)
    Most of the trig formulas are in the formula book, the other formulas you need could then be derived from these formulas - so the half angle formula can be formed fro the double angle formula etc.
    im talking about the proofs ie on pg 58,67,68..etc of heinemann

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Wolf, as I understand things (which is highly suspect to my mathematical stupour) we need only know the identities which are not provided in the formula MOOKLET. Yes, I did say MOOKLET. You need to be able to use the double angle formulae in particular when re-arranging equations and proving identities...

Then again, most I can do is SCRAPE a B in P2... Ah well... never was much of a mathematician (sp?).

U ever done P2 before Wolf? If so, what was ur UMS...? Ive never done it, im scared, as I can only competently integrate, rearrange fractions and expand binomials. Differentiation refuses to work properly!!! GAH!

Good luck Wolf and if ive made a dire error, please let me know. Only one more day till P2.
    i havent done it before

ReputationRep:
    so anyone know which proofs we need to know? of those in the heinemann book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    so anyone know which proofs we need to know? of those in the heinemann book
    You just need to be flexible with trig.

MB

ReputationRep:
    The identities I need to revise are the tan(A+-B), sum->product and product->sum formulae but I'm pretty sure they are in the formula book anyways.

Still, if it's an evil paper, they may ask you to prove an identity. On the P1 paper, one question was to prove the sum of nth term in an AS and I had to make it up (was quite close to the final answer). I was actually looking to ask the teacher how to do this before the exam because it came up in a past paper I was doing but then I thought 'nah, this won't come up' and couldn't be bothered. And it did bloody come up!

If you're bad on proving trig functions, then don't jinx it!

ReputationRep:
    Most identities can be proved from other identities. I do not think they would even think of giving us a proof of a standard identity...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.