Turn on thread page Beta

52 Weeks: 52 Books. 2016 Reading Challenge watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How many books are you aiming to read in 2016?
    12.23%
    More than 52
    20.14%
    Less than 52
    33.81%
    I'm not targeting anything
    33.81%

ReputationRep:
    We did this last year, and hopefully we can do it again this year.

I've got a very long TBR list (it can't be a pile, it would topple over and kill me) along with more books on their way from Wordery (my mum is going to kill me if I don't manage to hide those).

I thought we could try and keep track. I know some people use Goodreads or other sites like it, but why not here as well

I am aiming for 100 again like I did last year, but I realise that not everyone reads as fast as me. You also don't have to aim for 52 if you think you can't manage that - vote in the poll on if you'd go higher or lower!

As it's the 13th, I have made a start, but it's not as much of a start as I should have (1 book behind schedule - easy to catch up):

1. A Room Swept White - Sophie Hannah (4 Stars)
    2. The Manifesto on How to be Interesting - Holly Bourne (3 Stars)

Join in and keep track!

Edit: As suggested by some members, we could use ratings and mini reviews to help others to decide what to read next. Mine are stars out of 5 and I'll look to write mini reviews under a spoiler. If you're writing reviews please could you spoiler them so that there isn't massive amounts of text, and if there are going to be book spoilers then make this 100% clear so you don't ruin anything for anyone else.

oooooo! this seems like a great idea! i used to be reading obsessed but i havent read a proper book from cover to cover in a long time :sad:

I doubt i can do 52 books! :lol: maybe ill try and get in a book a month

ill set myself a goal then i am currently reading The Corpse Bridge (and i have been reading this since summer :getmecoat:) so i will aim to finish this by the end of January and start another one :lol:

1. The Corpse Bridge - Stephen Booth (reading)

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I found when I starting working my reading really dropped off so this challenge will really help me!

So far this year I have read:

1. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas 8/10
    2. Northern Lights 9/10

(I'm trying to study up on younger fiction for my own writing )

(Original post by Queen Cersei)
    I found when I starting working my reading really dropped off so this challenge will really help me!

So far this year I have read:

1. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
    2. Northern Lights

(I'm trying to study up on younger fiction for my own writing )
    omg i love Northern Lights! :love: you must read The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass next :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    omg i love Northern Lights! :love: you must read The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass next :woo:
    That's my plan! I got all the books as one absolutely huge book years and years ago but never managed to get very far as it was too heavy to hold! Now I have downgraded to the individual books to save my arms

That's my plan! I got all the books as one absolutely huge book years and years ago but never managed to get very far as it was too heavy to hold! Now I have downgraded to the individual books to save my arms
    :zomg: that must have been ridiculously heavy :lol: i think i might just read them all again! i read them in year 7 and they have stuck with me ever since!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I've started this again for this year - target of 52 books, but majorly behind due to other commitments - usually catch from January slowness when skiing, and catch up on exam season slowness over Summer!

Included are my ratings out of 5 - they're not critical in any sense, just how I got on with the book really. Mostly the good crime fiction kind of books will get a higher rating, as I enjoy those more... (the gorier and more bloody, the better - I love really sick and twisted crime books!!!)

So far, I've read:
    1: The Target - 4/5
    2: Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist - 2.5/5
    3: The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty - 3.5/5
    4: The Night Stalker - 4.5/5
    5. The Toy Taker
    6. You Are Dead

I'm currently reading:
    7: Freakonomics
    8: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
    9: The Art of Thinking Clearly
    10. The Steel Kiss
    11. Jack Reacher (can't remember full title!)

Happy reading everyone!

EDIT (27/01/16): On track, which is nice - train is ideal time to read :yy:
    EDIT (03/04/16): Ok... not on track! Few of the books I'm reading are almost finished, so should finish 6th and 7th book within a few days!

ReputationRep:
    ~Student403's 2016 Reading List~

Not sure if I'll be able to keep this up but I've had a strong start! I'll be going for 52 this year.

[Completion #: Title - Author - Personal Rating]

Completed:
    1: Animal Farm - George Orwell (reread) - 6/10
    2: 1984 - George Orwell (reread) - 8/10
    3. Andorra - Max Frisch (play) - 6/10

Current:
    3: You Should Have Known - Jean Hanff Korelitz

To read:
    -A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    -A Briefer History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    -The Girl Who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson
    -The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson
    -The Girl in the Spider's Web - David Lagercrantz
    -The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
    -The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
    -The Zahir - Paulo Coelho
    -Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho
    -Manuscript Found in Accra - Paulo Coelho
    -The Devil & Miss Prym - Paulo Coelho
    -The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
    -Little Black Lies - Sharon Bolton
    -The Immortals of Meluha - Amish Tripathi
    -Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future - Ashlee Vance
    -Cosmos - Carl Sagan

ReputationRep:
    So far I this year, I have read: 1 Agatha Christie novel. I forget the name.

I am currently reading:
    Winter: Marissa Meyer (I think that's spelt right)
    The Swan Thieves: Elizabeth Kostova
    The Book theif: Markus Zusak(probably misspelled)

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to be lucky I read one book a month. But I am going to try. Currently read Mary Poppins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I think I'm going to be lucky I read one book a month. But I am going to try. Currently read Mary Poppins
    You got your new Kindle so you can read some.

12 is a very good aim as well though. Keep us updated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    In! My target this year is to beat Mini, which I failed at rather spectacularly in 2015. If I don't manage that, then certainly aiming to get to 52, but preferably more.

Read so far:
    1. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
    2. The Questing Academy by Brian Clopper
    3. Revision Ravine by Brian Clopper

Currently reading:
    1. The Institute by Kayla Howarth

To read:
    1. Big Bang Generation by Gary Russell

ReputationRep:
    Request to everyone participating. Would you guys mind giving a quick rating out of 10 for the books you've currently read? This might help us in deciding which books we might like to try next Thanks!!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    In! My target this year is to beat Mini, which I failed at rather spectacularly in 2015. If I don't manage that, then certainly aiming to get to 52, but preferably more.Read so far:1. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green2. The Questing Academy by Brian ClopperCurrently reading:1. Revision Ravine by Brian ClopperTo read:1. Big Bang Generation by Gary Russell
    (Original post by Katty3)
    So far I this year, I have read: 1 Agatha Christie novel. I forget the name.I am currently reading:Winter: Marissa Meyer (I think that's spelt right)The Swan Thieves: Elizabeth KostovaThe Book theif: Markus Zusak(probably misspelled)
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    You got your new Kindle so you can read some.12 is a very good aim as well though. Keep us updated.
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I've started this again for this year - target of 52 books, but majorly behind due to other commitments - usually catch from January slowness when skiing, and catch up on exam season slowness over Summer!So far, I've read:1: The TargetI'm currently reading:2: The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty3: The Toy Taker - left it at home unfortunately, so on hold for a few weeks!4: Freakonomics5: Agatha Raisin - exact title escapes me!Happy reading everyone!
    :zomg: that must have been ridiculously heavy :lol: i think i might just read them all again! i read them in year 7 and they have stuck with me ever since!
    I found when I starting working my reading really dropped off so this challenge will really help me!So far this year I have read:1. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas2. Northern Lights(I'm trying to study up on younger fiction for my own writing )
    oooooo! this seems like a great idea! i used to be reading obsessed but i havent read a proper book from cover to cover in a long time :sad:I doubt i can do 52 books! :lol: maybe ill try and get in a book a month ill set myself a goal then i am currently reading The Corpse Bridge (and i have been reading this since summer :getmecoat:) so i will aim to finish this by the end of January and start another one :lol:1. The Corpse Bridge - Stephen Booth (reading):ahee:

(Original post by Student403)
    Request to everyone participating. Would you guys mind giving a quick rating out of 10 for the books you've currently read? This might help us in deciding which books we might like to try next Thanks!!
    Spoiler:
    Show

thats a good idea! i was thinking of putting like a mini review in a spoiler under each book if any one was interested

ReputationRep:
    thats a good idea! i was thinking of putting like a mini review in a spoiler under each book if any one was interested
    That's a great idea! Cheers I'll write mine soon!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    In. Might start to actually update my good reads.

I'm reading Evolutionary Psychology Robin Dunbar, Louise Barrett and John Lycett

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Absolutely brilliant idea. I do ratings out of 5, but it's the same principle!

I love doing short reviews as well, try to keep them spoiler free unless you put the spoilers inside another spoiler in the spoiler
    I'm looking to do reviews for my blog as well, so this will hopefully push me to do them!

ReputationRep:

I love doing short reviews as well, try to keep them spoiler free unless you put the spoilers inside another spoiler in the spoiler
    I'm looking to do reviews for my blog as well, so this will hopefully push me to do them!
    Great! I can't wait to read them :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show

just had to :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Exciting times, will be aiming to read 100 as well this year! (And perhaps beat my 2015 count of 110 books, but we shall see )

Books read so far:
    1. [3/5] Twinmaker (Twinmaker #1) by Sean Williams
    2. [4/5] Killer Instinct (The Naturals #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
    3. [4/5] F in Exams: The Best Test Paper Blunders by Richard Benson
    4. [2/5] Crashland (Twinmaker #2) by Sean Williams
    5. [4/5] How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran
    6. [3/5] The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West
    7. [4/5] Hollowgirl (Twinmaker #3) by Sean Williams
    8. [4/5] Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's Learned by Lena Dunham
    9. [5/5] Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1) by Gena Showalter
    10. [3/5] Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare) by Richard Appignanesi, Sonia Leong
    11. [4/5] The Year of the Rat by Clare Furniss
    12. [4/5] The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine #2) by James Dashner
    13. [3/5] Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare) by Richard Appignanesi, Robert Deas
    14. [4/5] The May Bride by Suzannah Dunn
    15. [5/5] Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher
    16. [2/5] An Island of Our Own by Sally Nicholls
    17. [3/5] The Body Wars by Aric Sigman
    18. [4/5] The Merchant of Venice (Manga Shakespeare) by Richard Appignanesi, Faye Yong
    19. [5/5] Faceless by Alyssa Sheinmel
    20. [2/5] Glow (Sky Chasers #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan
    21. [3/5] Spark (Sky Chasers #2) by Amy Kathleen Ryan
    22. [3/5] Flame (Sky Chasers #3) by Amy Kathleen Ryan
    23. [3/5] Dead Gorgeous by Malorie Blackman
    24. [4/5] Drew (Changers #1) by T. Cooper, Allison Glock
    25. [4/5] Boys Don't Cry (Boys Don't Cry #1) by Malorie Blackman
    26. [3/5] The Game of Lives (The Mortality Doctrine #3) by James Dashner
    27. [4/5] Smart by Kim Slater
    28. [2/5] Othello (Manga Shakespeare) by Richard Appignanesi, Ryuta Osada
    29. [5/5] Malala: The Girl Who Stood up for Education and Changed the World by Malala Yousafzai, Patricia McCormick
    30. [2/5] Henry VIII (Manga Shakespeare) by Richard Appignanesi, Patrick Warren
    31. [4/5] A Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough
    32. [3/5] Through the Zombie Glass (White Rabbit Chronicles #2) by Gena Showalter
    33. [5/5] Twelfth Night (Manga Shakespeare) by Richard Appignanesi, Nana Li
    34. [2/5] Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
    35. [2/5] Username: Evie by Joe Sugg
    36. [3/5] Purity by Jackson Pearce
    37. [2/5] The Edge of Falling by Rebecca Serle

Currently reading:
    - Movers by Meaghan McIsaac
    - City of Halves by Lucy Inglis
    - A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman
    - The Rough Guide to First-Time Asia by Rough Guides, Lucy Ridout

To read*:
    - The Man Who Couldn't Stop: the truth about OCD by David Adam
    - Twenty Questions for Gloria by Martyn Bedford
    - Still Alice by Lisa Genova
    - The Siren by Kiera Cass
    - The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World by Nancy Jo Sales
    - How Hard Can Love Be? (Normal #2) by Holly Bourne
    - Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates
    - The Seven Ages of Woman by Dr Rosemary Leonard
    - Dressmaking to Flatter Your Shape by Lorna Knight

*aka the physical pile of books that I have - my virtual list never ends

DNF
    - Stay With Me by J Lynn

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2017
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.