Emma Watson's Feminist Book Club - Join In Here

Watch
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't know if you heard, but Emma Watson lived up to Hermione Granger and started a feminist book club, Our Shared Shelf.

First book is My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem, in stock on Wordery right now.

Are you joining in on Goodreads or Twitter? The Goodreads page is very busy, and Twitter is famous for not being able to finish what you want to say in the 140 character limit...

I thought we could have our own discussion of Emma Watson's picks for the feminist book club, and maybe suggest some books of our own that we can read as well.

Please note: This thread is not for discussing if you think a feminist book club is a good idea or not. Please take that over to Debate and Current Affairs. Thanks.
Neostigmine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oooh I spotted this on twitter but she hadn't released details at the time. Definitely interested!
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
Gonna have to grab a copy of the book, I bet sales have shot up!

I'd be surprised if Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates doesn't make the list at some point. Even as a woman and feminist that was eye opening. I suggest reading it even if Emma Watson doesn't go with it.
Neostigmine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by minimarshmallow)
Gonna have to grab a copy of the book, I bet sales have shot up!

I'd be surprised if Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates doesn't make the list at some point. Even as a woman and feminist that was eye opening. I suggest reading it even if Emma Watson doesn't go with it.

Brilliant book. There was a brilliant twitter feed too that I followed until very recently when it got a bit weird. I might check it out again.
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
100% in.

I probably won't read all the books suggested, as I have my own considerable pile, but will definitely try as many as I can!
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
Has anyone got or previously read the first book? I don't know if I want to buy it or not - reasonable price on Wordery, but don't know how interested I am in that book in particular
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
So Emma has rated the first book 4 stars on Goodreads. Anyone else read the book?
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
I missed the announcement, but the second book has gone up:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

I own this one already, so I'm going to dig out my copy and read it before the end of the month. I'm willing to bet this one will be easy for everyone to get hold of - ask your mum if she's got a copy, or check a second hand book store, a charity shop, your local library, probably pretty cheap online as well!

I'm going to finish the book I'm reading now and then move on to that one I think.

Happy feminist reading!
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
(Original post by minimarshmallow)
I missed the announcement, but the second book has gone up:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

I own this one already, so I'm going to dig out my copy and read it before the end of the month. I'm willing to bet this one will be easy for everyone to get hold of - ask your mum if she's got a copy, or check a second hand book store, a charity shop, your local library, probably pretty cheap online as well!

I'm going to finish the book I'm reading now and then move on to that one I think.

Happy feminist reading!
In struggling a little with the dialect. Anyone else?
mrs_bellamy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This looks great! I read The Colour Purple about a year ago and thought it was fantastic. I'm interested in the Gloria Steinem book but have so much on my to read list. Has anyone here read it, and if so, what did you think?
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrs_bellamy)
This looks great! I read The Colour Purple about a year ago and thought it was fantastic. I'm interested in the Gloria Steinem book but have so much on my to read list. Has anyone here read it, and if so, what did you think?
I'm never one to read a book just because it's a classic, and I am struggling with the dialect in The Color Purple. Does that get easier?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (98)
58.68%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.57%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.19%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.39%

Watched Threads