The Student Room Group

Any point in going to a top university?

Hello. Year 12 here and so far I really have been enjoying the stuff we're doing in Physics. At the moment I feel like Physics is what's right for me at uni. I don't really know much about university though, but all I want to know is there really much point in going to say a place like Oxbridge or Imperial over a uni that isn't really as prestigious? I mean as long as you get the degree that all that matters right?

I would really appreciate an answer regarding my situation (Physics) and other studies in general.
Reply 1
would you choose a toyota civic over a range rover? they are all cars right?:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I think the standard of teaching, facilities, the support you get and the job opportunities etc are generally better for the higher ranked universities, but there's no reason why you shouldn't go to less highly rated unis if you feel you'd be more comfortable there since I guess that's a key factor.
I would say that for some subjects, the 'prestige' of the university is very important, e.g a law degree from Cambridge is undoubtedly better than a law degree from say, London Met.

Other subjects, such as medicine, depend less so on 'prestige'. I'm not too sure how much it would effect Physics - but it will still make a difference.

My advice would be, if you have the ability get into a very prestigious university such as Oxbridge or Imperial, then do it.
Original post by surina16
I think the standard of teaching, facilities, the support you get and the job opportunities etc are generally better for the higher ranked universities, but there's no reason why you shouldn't go to less highly rated unis if you feel you'd be more comfortable there since I guess that's a key factor.

Bits in bold definitely arent true, universities are ranked on their prestige and research level rather than teaching quality and support. In some cases higher up uni lecturers are more focused on research and have less time for students outside of lectures (though this will typically vary from lecturer to lecturer)
Original post by JustIdris
Hello. Year 12 here and so far I really have been enjoying the stuff we're doing in Physics. At the moment I feel like Physics is what's right for me at uni. I don't really know much about university though, but all I want to know is there really much point in going to say a place like Oxbridge or Imperial over a uni that isn't really as prestigious? I mean as long as you get the degree that all that matters right?

I would really appreciate an answer regarding my situation (Physics) and other studies in general.

You will tend to get a more rigorous level of teaching/content. Which can make you a better physicist in the future.

Also (imo more importantly), the modules in later years vary a lot from uni to uni so I think you should pick courses based on the modules on offer. (ie my uni offer general relativity, advanced particle physics, quantum field theory modules and modules on superconductors and advanced nano scale modules hence why I chose it) but other unis offer different later year modules to this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending