The Student Room Group

Which medical based careers do you recommend?

I'd love to be a surgeon but I don't think my A-Levels will be good enough.
What other careers are out there in the medical field such as Pharmacy, Optometry etc?
Looking for something with good pay too...:biggrin:
Original post by JorahMormont
What other careers are out there in the medical field such as Pharmacy, Optometry etc?

What are your A levels? There are lots of ways into medicine.

There are TONNES of jobs. What are you interested in? You could be an ODP and work in theatres assisting if surgery is your dream!
Depends on what you want out of it. Paramedic, biomed scientist, pharmacist op theater tech, Radiographer.... And loads more.., but YOU need to decide what kind of job you want!
Original post by JorahMormont

Don't put yourself down before you've even got your A Levels. If you can get AAA+, there's no reason why you couldn't do medicine itself with enough hard work (although you may want to consider whether it's worth going into it given all that's been happening).

I would strongly advise against pharmacy. There's currently a big oversupply of pharmacy graduates because of years of uncapped student numbers and the employment situation is not looking very good.
Original post by Neostigmine
What are your A levels? There are lots of ways into medicine.

There are TONNES of jobs. What are you interested in? You could be an ODP and work in theatres assisting if surgery is your dream!

Thank you, I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and I.T
Original post by Hydeman
Don't put yourself down before you've even got your A Levels. If you can get AAA+, there's no reason why you couldn't do medicine itself with enough hard work (although you may want to consider whether it's worth going into it given all that's been happening).

I would strongly advise against pharmacy. There's currently a big oversupply of pharmacy graduates because of years of uncapped student numbers and the employment situation is not looking very good.

Thank you :smile: and I'll stay away from Pharmacy, thanks! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending