Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lonely. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

Hi Caver,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing a bit of a rough patch at the moment. One of my friends was in a similar situation to you. She lives in Kent but travels for AGES in order to get to our sixth form in central London and it's hard for her to hang out with us because it would take ages to even arrive at the social gathering.

Is there perhaps a reason why people don't communicate with you in real life? Have you tried speaking to people in lessons/free periods/during your lunch break?

The only advice I can give right now is that some, if not many of us have experienced the same. It can be difficult trying to make friends but since you go to college, I'm assuming you'll have quite a lot of important exams coming up soon, To pre-occupy yourself, perhaps spend time in the library or even join some of your school societies and maybe you'll be able to meet people through those!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caver)
    I go to college 1hour away sometimes takes 1hr20mins, I have not many friends. The friends I have online have girlfriends/boyfriends and no longer talk to me and one even said I was "jealous of him" I feel sick right now typing this, I come home from college and just cry. No one wants to spend time with me in real life, or not even online. All my in real life friends have girlfriends/boyfriends and have no time for me and I just feel so empty and lonely.
    Talk to someone. Your parents, a teacher or counselor perhaps? Talk to your friends as well of course. Test whether they're really your friends.
    If you explain to them you feel all the time, they could be understanding and apologise and something will spark.
    If they're like "psh you're fine girl, just deal with it", then they obviously don't care, and you can't turn to them.

I can't believe you're that lonely, or ... there must be someone you know you can talk to

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, just focus on your studies, make sure you're getting those grades. It's good to be close to your family, that helps a lot. Find some hobbies and activities that you can do in your spare time. Read books, go outdoors, do some exercise, listen to some music, see the world and enjoy your life. There is so much to do out there, so many hobbies and activities that you can partake in. You're okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caver)
    I go to college 1hour away sometimes takes 1hr20mins, I have not many friends. The friends I have online have girlfriends/boyfriends and no longer talk to me and one even said I was "jealous of him" I feel sick right now typing this, I come home from college and just cry. No one wants to spend time with me in real life, or not even online. All my in real life friends have girlfriends/boyfriends and have no time for me and I just feel so empty and lonely.
    I am doing my MSc and literally have no friends at this uni!
    The way i look at is, after i finish my education i will have time to make friends. You will make friends eventually! There will always be light at the end of the tunnel

ReputationRep:
    Are you waiting for them to contact you? or are you just assuming they don't want to speak to you because they have a relationship? Friendships are a two-way thing and both parties have to put in effort.
    Saying that, relationships do occupy a lot of time and can often make you forget everything around you exists, so don't take it personally - it's normal to get sucked in and I imagine if they were to break up, you'd be center of their radar again.

Have you tried joining clubs? or meeting college people half-way? meetup.com is a good site where people create local clubs, there may be one in your area you could attend/join.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to be your friend

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.