The Student Room Group

As or a level the great gatsby & wuthering heights english literature

Hi, I am doing these two novels for my a level and I can't find anyone with the same. Anybody doing this for their lit course?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jennaelizaaa
Hi, I am doing these two novels for my a level and I can't find anyone with the same. Anybody doing this for their lit course?

I'm doing The Great Gatsby but unfortunately I'm not doing Wuthering Heights :frown:
Original post by electric33
I'm doing The Great Gatsby but unfortunately I'm not doing Wuthering Heights :frown:

It's so annoying! The question is about comparing these two, and I can't find anyone else that is. Thanks anyway :smile:
It's so annoying! The question is about comparing these two, and I can't find anyone else that is. Thanks anyway :smile:

It's okay :smile: I get what you mean, though with the comparison of the two questions.

What exam board are you on? Just wondering.
Great Gatsby sounds like fun. Wuthering Heights sounds like I'd want to shoot myself in the face.
Original post by electric33
It's okay :smile: I get what you mean, though with the comparison of the two questions.

What exam board are you on? Just wondering.

AQA, what about you?
For AS I am doing Wuthering Heights + The Colour Purple and for A2 The Great Gatsby, Tess of the D'urbervilles + Rapture.

Doing a comparison of Wuthering Heights and Great Gatsby 😀
Reply 8

Only gatsby :frown: doing it with persuasion though

Posted from TSR Mobile
AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you finding it? I feel like banging my head on a brick wall...
Original post by Jaimebecky1
Doing a comparison of Wuthering Heights and Great Gatsby 😀
Okay guys, we have about a month till the exam. Does anybody want to swap revision, past exams etc?
I'm doing withering heights & Gatsby(:
AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you finding it? I feel like banging my head on a brick wall...

How can two novels be so apparently "similar" but yet whenever I am writing an essay I can't think of a single one?!
Okay guys, we have about all month till the exam. Does anybody want to swap revision, past exams etc?

Sure. How are you revising for Shakespeare

I think Gatsby and Heathcliff are quite similar, in that they are both products of the societies around them and both driven forward by love. They are also both the other.

A difference is pretty apparent in Catherine and Daisy. While they both have a social advantage, Catherine does love Heathcliff; Daisy doesn't seem to care.

I did Wuthering Heights for As and I am now doing The Great Gatsby for A2 and I can say that doing those two books together will not be hard at all because there are so many similarities in themes such as, class, crossing over boundaries, obsessive love, idealised love, male dominance, role of women,internal and external forces, violence/crime, outsider, houses, ambiguous past for both Gatsby and Heathcliff.
Original post by Eoyebode56
I did Wuthering Heights for As and I am now doing The Great Gatsby for A2 and I can say that doing those two books together will not be hard at all because there are so many similarities in themes such as, class, crossing over boundaries, obsessive love, idealised love, male dominance, role of women,internal and external forces, violence/crime, outsider, houses, ambiguous past for both Gatsby and Heathcliff.

Yes, but our teacher only went through the book with us and said we need to compare them on our own. Does anyone have any resources they can share?

I am - Good Luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dec86dQIbH8

useful if anyone's learning quotes for Wuthering Heights x
I'm doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Gatsby for As........... :/

Quick Reply

Latest