Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Vardy Foundation Schools Teaching Creationism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From an article in the Times today, the Vardy foundation, set up by Sir Peter Vardy, "buys" schools for £2 million (getting a £20 million government grant) and then runs them.

Whilst these schools get better exam results (which you'd expect with an extra £22 million, Vardy insists on teaching creationism as a literal reading for the Book of Genesis, despite the fact that Creationism has been shown to be wrong, this is now accepted by most religious officials.

The foundation wants to buy Northcliffe Comprehensive in Doncaster and run it with its strong religious ethos, however neither parents nor teachers want the school to be run by such a group, indeed they are staging a protest rally this weekend and have a website, www.cadpag.co.uk

The Foundation already owns Emmanuel College in Gateshead and imposes its extreme religious beliefs on the pupils.

What do other members think of the Vardy Foundation and its buying of schools whether wanted or not?

ReputationRep:
    Another reason the schools get better results is that they are effectively selective schools. More pupils are- rightly or wrongly- excluded.
    I also object to religious maniacs being subsidised to spread their claptrap, but given the strict central control over school curriculums is actually there much opportunity to actually teach creationism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Another reason the schools get better results is that they are effectively selective schools. More pupils are- rightly or wrongly- excluded.
    I also object to religious maniacs being subsidised to spread their claptrap, but given the strict central control over school curriculums is actually there much opportunity to actually teach creationism?
    Vardy's schools can select people, by the way.

These schools get more control over their curriculum, it seems, for example they teach creationism in Biology and all sciences with a Christian theme.

ReputationRep:
    I am strongly against the teaching of creationism as a science, they are more than entitled to teach it in RE lessons or in the children's spare time but just dont call it science and make sure that what is science is actually taught.

You would not teach algebra in a history lesson and so you must not teach creationsim in a science lesson.

However I have no problem with schools putting a greater emphasis on a particular belief so long as there is a choice for students and that they can find the same standard of teaching in another school. Also if you go to a school which is religious then other belief should be outlined as well as the main one that the school preaches.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching creationism is silly. I wonder what kind of results they get in GCSE biology...

ReputationRep:
    how do all these people feel when they go to uni and realised they've been brainwashed

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Vardy insists on teaching creationism as a literal reading for the Book of Genesis, despite the fact that Creationism has been shown to be wrong, this is now accepted by most religious officials.
    :rolleyes:

Creationism has not 'been shown to be wrong'.

ReputationRep:
    From an article in the Times today, the Vardy foundation, set up by Sir Peter Vardy, "buys" schools for £2 million (getting a £20 million government grant) and then runs them.

Whilst these schools get better exam results (which you'd expect with an extra £22 million, Vardy insists on teaching creationism as a literal reading for the Book of Genesis, despite the fact that Creationism has been shown to be wrong, this is now accepted by most religious officials.

The foundation wants to buy Northcliffe Comprehensive in Doncaster and run it with its strong religious ethos, however neither parents nor teachers want the school to be run by such a group, indeed they are staging a protest rally this weekend and have a website, www.cadpag.co.uk

The Foundation already owns Emmanuel College in Gateshead and imposes its extreme religious beliefs on the pupils.

What do other members think of the Vardy Foundation and its buying of schools whether wanted or not?
    If the kids are from a religious background then i'd say its ok, but really you don't know whether info that the school feeds you with is true or not, i don't understand why the parents are protesting, why send them to the school in the first place, yeh it has a great education system but if you don't want you children to be a religious and ethical surrounding then why bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)

ok what do you mean by the word wrong, in a scientific context it means there is no evidence exsisting here on this earth that can be used to support it

ReputationRep:

well i there's been some pretty good attempts. there seems pretty conclusive evidence for evolution- hardly fits in with the idea of the genesis myths.

i read about these Vadry schools about 6 months ago and i just think they're a bit silly. if people want to be so dogmatic in their views then let them... i'm sure that Vardy will have plenty of pupils (although it does kind of seem like brainwashing, but the same could be said for teaching evolution). some people seem to get confused as to how you can reject the idea of creationism without rejecting Christianity- but most christians manage it, the creation myths show the goodness of God's creation, the role of evil etc. i don't think they are literal.

thing is i agree with Vardy's points a lot of the time elsewhere in philosophy :rolleyes:

lou xxx

ReputationRep:

Maybe not all of creationsim but certainly the 10,000 years ago in 6 days malarky, most priests/bishops accept this.

ReputationRep:

If its a choice between suffering daft religous beliefs but also getting a decent education and enjoying a secular but incompetant school id go with the vardy option regardless of how irritating it would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    If its a choice between suffering daft religous beliefs but also getting a decent education and enjoying a secular but incompetant school id go with the vardy option regardless of how irritating it would be.
    Though the government is willing to cough up a £20 million grant for the school if Vardy puts down £2 million, but won't give the school the £20 million and cut out the middle man.

And though you say decent education, I think £22 million is enough to make any school decent.

ReputationRep:
    Though the government is willing to cough up a £20 million grant for the school if Vardy puts down £2 million, but won't give the school the £20 million and cut out the middle man.

And though you say decent education, I think £22 million is enough to make any school decent.
    True.

ReputationRep:

It is NOT true that the Emmanuel College, Gateshead teach only creationism. The theory of evolution is also taught alongside that of creationism.

It is spurious nonsense, scandalous and untrue to say otherwise. The agenda of those who seek to undermine the work of the schools is suspect to say the least. A sign of the times we live in.

There is no finite proof provided by science to disprove that everything was created by an Almighty being - and science is as much a belief system as a belief in God!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    There is no finite proof provided by science to disprove that everything was created by an Almighty being - and science is as much a belief system as a belief in God!
    Logic disproves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Logic disproves it.

lol - not a valid 'disproof' - good try though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    lol - not a valid 'disproof' - good try though
    Belief in faeries, unicorns, chimaeras, the ancient norse, greek and celtic pantheons, the belief that the world is carried on the backs of 4 elephants standing a giant turtle through space and the belief that witches and wizards and other such supernatural legend are as valid as that of the Garden of Eden and the other associated myths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    that isnt a belief in creationism tho, creationism isnt a science and its predictions have proven to be so wrong that its not worth even considering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    that isnt a belief in creationism tho, creationism isnt a science and its predictions have proven to be so wrong that its not worth even considering
    Show me concrete, irrefutable evidence that the world came into being because of a 'big bang' - you can't and neither can anybody else! It is a theory only and is therefore a belief system as much as a belief in God.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.