Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm interested in applying for a foundation year in physics and engineering when I study an access to HE course. The trouble is I tried (and failed- badly) my a-level maths and physics a couple of years ago whilst attempting self-study along with full-time work. I took too much on at once and kind of crumbled under the stress of impending exams and a new job. Plus, I'd been out of education for a while.

My main question is whether this ruin my application as a mature student even if I do well in my access course? If so, I'll write off the course before I even start.

(Original post by SGR2917)
    Hi!

I'm interested in applying for a foundation year in physics and engineering when I study an access to HE course. The trouble is I tried (and failed- badly) my a-level maths and physics a couple of years ago whilst attempting self-study along with full-time work. I took too much on at once and kind of crumbled under the stress of impending exams and a new job. Plus, I'd been out of education for a while.

My main question is whether this ruin my application as a mature student even if I do well in my access course? If so, I'll write off the course before I even start.
    It depends on the university; there are a handful that aren't very mature-friendly. However, I think the vast majority of places won't really care about old grades if you're a mature applicant, although you will need to declare them and meet the university's current entry requirements by the time you enrol.

ReputationRep:
    When you study your access course, I'm sure you'll do better. You can tell your referee about the circumstances of your previous results, who will explain it to the unis and (hopefully) impress them with your predicted grades.

One more thing. You got "terrible" grades compared to people in full time education, (mostly) no other commitments, and who were spoon fed the syllabus and how to pass exams. Be proud and focus on what you'll be able to do on your access course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.