Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for an A* in English Language & Literature Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

English Language and Literature are two of my weakest subjects and I really want to try and get A*s in both of them. I know it's immensely hard. My exam board is AQA and I'm already familiar with Mr Bruff's videos and I have his revision guides. Is there anything else I can do to try and get the top grades?

Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Language deals with creativity, knowing how to write several of different style of writing, having good spelling and grammar. so perhaps you can focus on some of those points

for literature, it's remembering quotes, interpret what the quote mean, guessing the writer's intention for using certain words or phrases, being able to explain the effect of writing techniques, this can also be for language as well.
    those are the only element to the subject that i can think of...i dont read books/novels, english is my second language but yet by realising what the subject is about, i have decent grades in them. hope you will too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua-P)
    Hi everyone,

English Language and Literature are two of my weakest subjects and I really want to try and get A*s in both of them. I know it's immensely hard. My exam board is AQA and I'm already familiar with Mr Bruff's videos and I have his revision guides. Is there anything else I can do to try and get the top grades?

Thanks!
    Hey, I got A* in English Literature in Year 10 and I'm predicted an A* for Language this year for year 11

For literature I did a lot of past papers and looked on the examiners report to see what they don't want to see, I practiced alot under time conditions because sometimes it's hard to write everything in the time space, I made a hell of a lot of flash cards basically one side being the quote and the other side is who said it, one side being the object and the other side the important it has in the novella/play, one side being a literature technique and the other side being what it means. I found a website which I'm sure you can google and find with a list of literature techniques which my literature teacher was really impressed with and I'm sure the examiner was too as it shows you understand the text, and the main thing is I'd go round this 'wheel' if you like in my head of what to add;
    Point, evidence, explain, why the writer included it, how the audience felt, analyse specific word, pick out literature technique, give context (say how it relates to the time the book/play was written e.g of mice and men was written in the great depression) and if you're writing about a play (the inspector calls, romeo and juliet) remember to include the stage directions for the actors and how this makes them act and symbolism! for example the books in Crooks' room in Of Mice and Men suggest he is educated and it symbolises that the racial prejudice was deemed false by Steinbeck because he has portrayed Crooks to be an educated character in that time.

For English Language, I'm struggling too, I'd just say do a load of past papers and learn language techniques!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    Language deals with creativity, knowing how to write several of different style of writing, having good spelling and grammar. so perhaps you can focus on some of those points

for literature, it's remembering quotes, interpret what the quote mean, guessing the writer's intention for using certain words or phrases, being able to explain the effect of writing techniques, this can also be for language as well.
    those are the only element to the subject that i can think of...i dont read books/novels, english is my second language but yet by realising what the subject is about, i have decent grades in them. hope you will too!
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    Hey, I got A* in English Literature in Year 10 and I'm predicted an A* for Language this year for year 11

For literature I did a lot of past papers and looked on the examiners report to see what they don't want to see, I practiced alot under time conditions because sometimes it's hard to write everything in the time space, I made a hell of a lot of flash cards basically one side being the quote and the other side is who said it, one side being the object and the other side the important it has in the novella/play, one side being a literature technique and the other side being what it means. I found a website which I'm sure you can google and find with a list of literature techniques which my literature teacher was really impressed with and I'm sure the examiner was too as it shows you understand the text, and the main thing is I'd go round this 'wheel' if you like in my head of what to add;
    Point, evidence, explain, why the writer included it, how the audience felt, analyse specific word, pick out literature technique, give context (say how it relates to the time the book/play was written e.g of mice and men was written in the great depression) and if you're writing about a play (the inspector calls, romeo and juliet) remember to include the stage directions for the actors and how this makes them act and symbolism! for example the books in Crooks' room in Of Mice and Men suggest he is educated and it symbolises that the racial prejudice was deemed false by Steinbeck because he has portrayed Crooks to be an educated character in that time.

For English Language, I'm struggling too, I'd just say do a load of past papers and learn language techniques!

Hope this helps
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the responses. It seems to be the time that I struggle with a lot. 30 minutes for unseen poetry makes me want to die!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.