Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you cram a year's worth of uni work into a few months? Help, please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just started law at a top (ie: stressful) uni in September. Had some circumstances in the first term during which one family member was terminally ill (requiring financial and emotional support) and another passed on. I myself came down with TB a week after Reading week and had to be hospitalised.

As a result, ended up missing a lot of lectures, readings & tutorials due to health, depression and mourning reasons. Many friends were helpful with lectures, and notes.

I'm back in school 'properly' attending now and ready to take on the new year - unfortunately, I have learnt basically nothing in the first term (I paid attention for the first few weeks but not sure if any of that was retained), and missed out on a whole lot and arguably entire modules eg contract. Because I have to work part-time, it takes up a significant number of hours, and I have very little time left in which to read so I'm panicking.

For any past law students (or uni students!): I'd really love to hear stories of you not paying any attention to uni in the first term of your first year and managing to catch up or cram it all within a few months or less and pass first year exams. Is it possible? What techniques did you use to catch up with the readings (it's piled up - so much!) or how did you cram it all in?

Feeling dejected as I'm trying to do readings but because I missed out on the introductory stuff & still grieving quite a lot, a lot of it is hard to understand and I'm panicking. All help much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Have you applied to delay your exams for mitigating circumstances?

If not, as another law student, the best advice I feel that I can give you is to try and just cram in the basics to what you could be asked in the exams, just learn the basic law to pass the exams, as unless you are really good at retaining knowledge quickly you will never remember every case name, academic journal or statute, it would just be best to learn the very basics and just pass the exams!

There isn't really a great amount to learn, I'm currently revising and went through everything on the constitution and parliamentary sovereignty in 3 days!

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.