Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a girl. I like girls. I'm a "Muslim" and Asian. What to do? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by XisNations)
    According to Islam, you should stone yourself.
    Nah, you're alright pal 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I won't fully leave my community or religious relatives. It's hard to leave people who have done nothing but love you. It's not as simple to just get up and leave. In a few years, I hope to be living in my own home and financially ok. I will basically live a secret life.

Thank you for your comment, it's appreciated.
    If you don't youll be found out and dishourned anyway. It is hard but its somethjng that might have to do be done whether you like it or not.

If your family accrpt you fine.

Dishouring you because you love the same sex isn't love.

ReputationRep:
    Free yourself from the chains of Islam and get the hell away from your family who won't accept your sexuality, unless you want to live a lie and pretend all your life. You would have to begin to live as an individual and undo all the years of religious brainwashing that's been taught to your impressionable young mind. A near impossible task that will take years of slow recovery. Are you brave enough to be free or will you stay and be a prisoner of a cruel and ignorant ideology? There is only love, that is the greatest, most powerful and holy gift we have, as human beings, but you don't find much mention of love in the Koran eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mona-S)
    Do what you think is right. At the end of the day, it's between you and God. And you don't have to get married, your parent can't force you islamically.
    Lol she specified several times that she doesn't believe in God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Lol she specified several times that she doesn't believe in God.
    whenever an ex-muslim specifies that they no longer believe in God, the muslims come in and refuse to acknowledge the fact and come out with **** like that. i guess they are trying to convince themselves.

ReputationRep:
    please don't let religion ruin your chance of living a happy life and doing what you want. it's a human-made concept, so are cultural norms, being gay and liking girls isn't made up by society, it's natural and as you said, not a choice.

if i were you i'd move out (if you haven't already) maybe get involved into the lgbt community a bit, maybe go to a pride. in the london parade there's even a muslim lgbt group that marches so maybe there's a community online where you can seek some better advice with people who've been in similar situations.

fact is you're either gonna have to live an unhappy life with a man just to please others, or put yourself first, be happy and live your life how you want.

good luck, and don't come out unless you feel it's safe and you're ready

ReputationRep:
    The Qur'an was written in a time where women were seen to be second class citizens. They probably thought that women weren't capable of being attracted to women. i understnad that there's nothing written in the Qur'an, but that probably because they couldn't give a rats a** about women's thoughts and feelings back then 😂
    Well I mean the Qur'an IS the word of God not the word of the people/ prophets/ anyone and obv if we believe God created the universe we believe He'd know what is to happen in the future with women's rights and that (and the Qur'an did give women rights when they had barely any - and Islam prevented burial of newborn baby girls) so I don't think that's it

So it's probably because there's nothing wrong with being attracted to girls

(Original post by z33)
    Well I mean the Qur'an IS the word of God not the word of the people/ prophets/ anyone and obv if we believe God created the universe we believe He'd know what is to happen in the future with women's rights and that (and the Qur'an did give women rights when they had barely any - and Islam prevented burial of newborn baby girls) so I don't think that's it

So it's probably because there's nothing wrong with being attracted to girls
    Even if there's nothing wrong with being a gay girl in relation to Islam, I still have cultural issues of being South Asian. It's been ingrained into the culture that: 1) marriage is important 2) marriage is between men and women. Can't escape from it unfortunately!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm intrigued as i can't rep you.... So must see your posts about.

Anyhow.....

How certain are you that your parents would shun you?
    I ask this with a decent idea... No i am not muslim, nor gay.
    However, a member of my family is in the police and has worked in the possil (large asian community) area of Glasgow so i know how people can get shuned etc (won't go into details but i feel sorry for you if it's that 'traditional'.

What about even coming out to just parents? Like, they could keep up the facade to the community while understanding you....
    I suppose that's also pretty unlikely (shakes my head).

You just have to focus on being happy. Finish your studies, become self-sufficient and then after that you will find another girl who you can have fun and hopefully a long future with.

I really think the majority on this island would not judge you
    There's nothing wrong with you, just embrace it and do whatever you have to do to be happy. I hope you meet the girl of your dreams soon

Edit: I have avoided commenting on whether you should publicly come out or not (at some point). Damned if you do and damned if you don't imo.... Defo do not marry a guy.
    Not only will you be supremely unhappy but the poor guy won't have a partner who loves him, not physically. Find a girl, whether you keep that really private or openly come out... Your calland unfortunately it's a really tough decision.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being understanding. Quick question: what if your female friend (asian, muslim, non asian, what ever) came out to you? Answer honestly, I won't get offended.
    No need to thank me! I'm a human and I don't judge people on their sexuality. Its a complete personal thing.

And seriously I would be glad that she told me. I would rather have her share her issues with me than hiding it from just for the fear of me not accepting her. That would mean I wasn't even her friend to start with. It wouldn't affect my relationship with her. She'd always remain my bestie!

ReputationRep:
    Woa. Stay celibate, this life is a test for us all.. Only advice I can give really..

ReputationRep:
    Even if there's nothing wrong with being a gay girl in relation to Islam, I still have cultural issues of being South Asian. It's been ingrained into the culture that: 1) marriage is important 2) marriage is between men and women. Can't escape from it unfortunately!
    Well there you go then - culture is the problem you GTFO and never look back or you're gonna lay on your deathbed wishing you did

(Original post by Marco1)
    Free yourself from the chains of Islam and get the hell away from your family who won't accept your sexuality, unless you want to live a lie and pretend all your life. You would have to begin to live as an individual and undo all the years of religious brainwashing that's been taught to your impressionable young mind. A near impossible task that will take years of slow recovery. Are you brave enough to be free or will you stay and be a prisoner of a cruel and ignorant ideology? There is only love, that is the greatest, most powerful and holy gift we have, as human beings, but you don't find much mention of love in the Koran eh?
    To be honest, I was never taught Islamic teachings. I don't know how to pray, I never learnt how to read the Quran. I can't really say that I've been brainwashed, not by my own family anyway. It's the wider Islamic community that bothers me.

I also have cultural issues of being South Asian. It's not just religion that stopping me from living an authentic life.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be ashamed of who you are, in fact, be happy that you got this far and have finally accepted your sexuality, so in a way, congrats for coming out. Many muslims, or any religious person will most likely judge you, but in reality it doesn't matter. It is who you are and you can't change it.

In terms of family, well thats a tricky one. I suggest you just keep it on the low key until you are honestly prepared to explain things maybe in the future. For now just focus on your career, and explain that marriage isn't important yet. Build yourself up, so no one can knock you down.
    I wish you good luck

(Original post by BrokenLife)
    No need to thank me! I'm a human and I don't judge people on their sexuality. Its a complete personal thing.

And seriously I would be glad that she told me. I would rather have her share her issues with me than hiding it from just for the fear of me not accepting her. That would mean I wasn't even her friend to start with. It wouldn't affect my relationship with her. She'd always remain my bestie!
    This comment has honestly made me so happy. Never in my life have I ever heard an Asian talk about gay people in this manner. They always talk about the LGBT community in a negative way. I hope there are more people like you.

Have a lovely evening

(Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Woa. Stay celibate, this life is a test for us all.. Only advice I can give really..
    I don't see how staying celibate will help? could you explain please?
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    The Qur'an was written in a time where women were seen to be second class citizens. They probably thought that women weren't capable of being attracted to women. i understnad that there's nothing written in the Qur'an, but that probably because they couldn't give a rats a** about women's thoughts and feelings back then 😂
    Lol. What do mean back then? They still don't. Islam keeps women right down under the male thumb. The whole Islamic world treats women like filth. There's no equality, just mental and physical cruelty.

(Original post by z33)
    Well there you go then - culture is the problem you GTFO and never look back or you're gonna lay on your deathbed wishing you did
    I can't really turn my back on my own culture. My culture is who I am.

(Original post by Marco1)
    Lol. What do mean back then? They still don't. Islam keeps women right down under the male thumb. The whole Islamic world treats women like filth. There's no equality, just mental and physical cruelty.
    I don't think you've met many Muslim women, have you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how staying celibate will help? could you explain please?
    Thanks for the advice
    I believe there's something in the Quran where it's not wrong to be gay, just to 'act on it'. Silly, I know.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.