Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a girl. I like girls. I'm a "Muslim" and Asian. What to do? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My culture. Culture and religion are two different things.
    How old are you? (I may have missed this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevennotyou)
    How old are you? (I may have missed this)
    Original post says they're an adult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Original post says they're an adult.
    Thank you

They're often almost inextricably linked.
    It's not easy to just get up and leave.

ReputationRep:
    My culture. Culture and religion are two different things.
    Well either escape that culture and start afresh, or embrace the culture. Why you dont believe in god idk but i dont blame you since you were never taught the quran or islam. Just remember every action is based upon its intention

ReputationRep:
    Oh? So that was fine then, but homosexuality isn't fine now? Seems like Islam is living in the past.
    It was. It was never fine in Islam..?

ReputationRep:
    I have no regrets on clicking on this link. Damn 😍
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    It's not easy to just get up and leave.
    If it is that much of an issue, however small, go to the police. They are violating a basic human right to be whatever sexuality you wish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Let me put it another way. Why isn't paedophilia fine in Islam now when it used to be? What changed? Why can't it change that way in favour of homosexuality?

ReputationRep:
    Let me put it another way. Why isn't paedophilia fine in Islam now when it used to be? What changed? Why can't it change that way in favour of homosexuality?
    Girls used to mature earlier then. The age of puberty I am sure was much lower.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I am saying! Every other religion is/has modernised. Why not Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Will rep when I get on my laptop

(Original post by hasan6091)
    Well either escape that culture and start afresh, or embrace the culture. Why you dont believe in god idk but i dont blame you since you were never taught the quran or islam. Just remember every action is based upon its intention
    I do embrace my culture. I embrace many cultures within the South Asian community. There's literally just one aspect of the South Asian community as a whole that I am not a fan of and that is homophobia (also *****y aunties ji's but i can get over that lol).

Even if I was brought up in a strict, Muslim background, praying 5 times a day, adhering to the 5 pillars of Islam, that doesn't necessarily mean that I'd be a Muslim forever. There are people who have been bought up in a Muslim environment and leave Islam because they simply have lost the belief.

ReputationRep:
    Girls used to mature earlier then. The age of puberty I am sure was much lower.
    Actually, the onset of puberty is now starting younger than ever.

A few sources, one a paper and one a study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2465479/
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ger-precocious

ReputationRep:
    Oh well sh*t happens pal
    "I'm not a practicing Muslim. I don't believe in a God."

Sure does when you’re that confused.

ReputationRep:
    x
    All i'm going to say is that think of the parents who have brought you up!
    They worked hard to raise you, is this how you want to repay them?

I'm the sort of guy who woudn't blink twice if my mum decided to marry me off to someone i never met! This is because of the respect i have for her and the hard work she did for me!
    There is someone who you should be willing to sacrafise everything for and that is my mum for me!

If it is that much of an issue, however small, go to the police. They are violating a basic human right to be whatever sexuality you wish
    It's not the fact that my family won't let me physically leave, it's the emotional side of leaving a family that has raised you. They've done a lot for me. It's not simple to just leave.

ReputationRep:
    I understand it must be so tough for you go to through this, if I were in your position I'd probably have to live a very private life. Also, since you're not even a Muslim anymore you don't really have anything to hold you back, live your life girl I guess the one good thing about being lesbian is that everyone else will assume you guys are just friends, just date someone and when you get serious then I think you should come out to your family and friends. They may or may not be supportive, make sure you're safe and are financially independent before taking this step. Coming from an Asian background, some Asian don't understand what you may be going through, it's ignorance or they've been bought up to think homosexuality is wrong (it isn't, it doesn't change you as a person), and just because they don't feel attraction to a specific gender they cannot comprehend how you might feel. If you sit down and thoroughly explain "hey, I just want to say that I'm attracted to girls, I always have been and I always will, I don't see a place for a guy in my life, It'll be unfair on him and myself". I really do wish you the very best of luck x :hugs:

This is such a great point!

ReputationRep:
    'do that thing' lol.
    You can move out sure. Live as most white british people do. However, you've been brought up so differently you likely won't fit in.
    You know what i mean lol, I cant put it into words but all Asians know what I mean.

Imo fitting in is overrated anyway. Live for yourself, you'll realise everyone's too worried about fitting in themselves to evaluate everyone else's lives.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.