The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's good enough for medicine

Hi all,

I have achieved 2A* 7A and 1B at GCSE level and i heard that i need at least 6 A*'s to get into medicine?
Does anyone know if this is true? Also, which Unis would accept these results?

I am currently studying Biology,Chemistry, Maths, Economics and Polish for A level.
Im pretty sure you do not need 6A*s to study medicine, but you will have to be quite selective when picking where to apply. For example, Cardiff look just at GCSEs, and the amount of A*s needed to get an interview is about 6 (i think), so you shouldnt apply there. Make sure to look at academic selection criteria on the uni websites.

Just try to do as well as you can in AS's as that will help and mean there will be unis where you are a very compatible applicant. If not, you can get a very good personal statement as well as UKCAT or BMAT score
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Most unis look at your a level grades. It depends on where you want to go but generally for medicine you need 3 A's at a level. GCSE's really aren't important once you start a levels. They're mostly just to get you some on to the next stage of your education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would check the student room page on entry requirements for medicine. Unis such as Birmingham, Cardiff and Oxford are quite GCSE heavy so should be avoided.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending