Can my landlord still charge me rent if new tenant walks away. Watch

jmta13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm moving out of my student house and back on campus before my contract has ended due to health reasons.
My landlord said this was completely okay so long as I found a new tenant.
I secured a new tenant and informed my landlord who was compeltly happy- however the new tenant moves in a few days, and neither my landlord nor the estate agents have bothered to send her her contract, despite multiple phone calls and emails from me asking them to do so.
Understandably the new tenant is getting cold feet, and saying that she might not move in.
However not realise my landlord would be this incompetent I already found somewhere on campus to live, and have signed my contract for my new lease, and I'm supposed to be moving in tomorrow.
If the new tenant does decide not to move in can my landlord still make me pay rent for next term?
I found the new tenant like he asked, the only reason she may not be moving in is because he has failed to send her her contract, or give her any information that she needs to be able to move.
Thanks for any advice x
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jmta13)
So I'm moving out of my student house and back on campus before my contract has ended due to health reasons.
My landlord said this was completely okay so long as I found a new tenant.
I secured a new tenant and informed my landlord who was compeltly happy- however the new tenant moves in a few days, and neither my landlord nor the estate agents have bothered to send her her contract, despite multiple phone calls and emails from me asking them to do so.
Understandably the new tenant is getting cold feet, and saying that she might not move in.
However not realise my landlord would be this incompetent I already found somewhere on campus to live, and have signed my contract for my new lease, and I'm supposed to be moving in tomorrow.
If the new tenant does decide not to move in can my landlord still make me pay rent for next term?
I found the new tenant like he asked, the only reason she may not be moving in is because he has failed to send her her contract, or give her any information that she needs to be able to move.
Thanks for any advice x
Do you have it in writing that your contract has been mutually surrendered?
jmta13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have a verbal agreement with my landlord, plus corrospondence between my landlord and the new tenant about rent and such?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a verbal agreement with my landlord
Any independent witnesses?

plus corrospondence between my landlord and the new tenant about rent and such?
Anything that actually says your tenancy will end on X date, mentioning of returning the deposit?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (147)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.53%
No- I want it (68)
27.98%
No- I don't want it (17)
7%

Watched Threads