Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B918 - Transport Fuel Efficiency Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Quite the opposite! It's a no, however, because it's too drastic.
    Indeed. Besides there's already being something done on the issue. I find it quite disappointing that the TSR Green Party hadn't done their research on the TSR Government's environmental policy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Indeed. Besides there's already being something done on the issue. I find it quite disappointing that the TSR Green Party hadn't done their research on the TSR Government's environmental policy.
    The thing is, something being government policy does not mean it is legislated for until such a time that it is, hardly the fault of the Greens that you failed to make this law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The thing is, something being government policy does not mean it is legislated for until such a time that it is, hardly the fault of the Greens that you failed to make this law.
    It passed in my Departmental Review, not my fault you lot didn't put it to vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It passed in my Departmental Review, not my fault you lot didn't put it to vote.
    Ummm, I don't think that's how legislation works...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, I don't think that's how legislation works...
    It didn't need legislation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It didn't need legislation.
    Not sure about anybody else, but I don't recall any SIs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about anybody else, but I don't recall any SIs
    It was in the departmental review, working similarly to a SoI
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It was in the departmental review, working similarly to a SoI
    Which is not a SI, as far as I'm concerned we do not have SIs and nor should we on the basis that I doubt many, if any, of us really understand them well enough for them to be a thing, and obviously we don't have the courts to overturn them if they are used incorrectly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Which is not a SI, as far as I'm concerned we do not have SIs and nor should we on the basis that I doubt many, if any, of us really understand them well enough for them to be a thing, and obviously we don't have the courts to overturn them if they are used incorrectly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was a piece of non legislative action taken by the Government. Hence it takes effect unless put to a vote by the PM, SoS, or the leader of the opposition. So, by LP not putting it to vote it has passed
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It was a piece of non legislative action taken by the Government. Hence it takes effect unless put to a vote by the PM, SoS, or the leader of the opposition. So, by LP not putting it to vote it has passed
    Non legislative action requires legislation allowing such action

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Non legislative action requires legislation allowing such action

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, not IRL nor according to our constitution and GD

ReputationRep:
    Nay

(Original post by Aph)
    What if the police need to use a less fuel efficient car to maintain a cover?
    That's one dope ass badge bruh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay !!!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not IRL nor according to our constitution and GD
    Do you mind pointing out in the constitution or GD where SIs were introduced, and I guess my reading on secondary legislation was wrong then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind pointing out in the constitution or GD where SIs were introduced, and I guess my reading on secondary legislation was wrong then...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ents_of_Intent
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    SoIs are not SIs, they are exactly what they say on the tin, a statement of INTENT, i.e. you intend to do it and thus far in my time here those intentions have been meaningless; statutory instruments are pieces of secondary legislation
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As I'm sure the Speaker will clarify (he did write that amendment after all) SoIs are the means in game by which things not requiring primary legislation take place.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that SoI's are so called because they haven't been ratified in game. its like a bill becoming an act once ratified and they are considered passed if no one sends them to vote or if they are sent to vote and win the vote.

For game purposes not IRL before someone comes along all high and mighty and tells me I know nothing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I was under the impression that SoI's are so called because they haven't been ratified in game. its like a bill becoming an act once ratified and they are considered passed if no one sends them to vote or if they are sent to vote and win the vote.

For game purposes not IRL before someone comes along all high and mighty and tells me I know nothing.
    As not only Speaker but author of the SOI Amendment I can confirm that SOIs work in the way described by Aph. Unless they are voted down they are considered enacted. The clause allowing them to be sent to vote is a check on the government power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    As not only Speaker but author of the SOI Amendment I can confirm that SOIs work in the way described by Aph. Unless they are voted down they are considered enacted. The clause allowing them to be sent to vote is a check on the government power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely then the same powers should be extended to all parties to state what legislation they would like to pass and save us the effort of actually writing any legislation, further if this is the case the amendment was written poorly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.