Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Study aids for hearing loss Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im deaf in one ear and wear a hearing aid.
    Does anyone have any tips,apps hacks etc that help you with your study?
    I'm worried that even with my aid ,i wont hear everything in a big lecture theatre.

Thanks in advance!

Cid.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If you're at uni, have you applied for disabled students allowance? (DSA) They should supply you with equipment and possibly a note taker. This should help you with things like being able to hear what's being said in a lecture hall.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm deaf in one ear too! hardly every find anyone on here! I use phonic CROS hearing aids- what do you use?
    I'm only year 13 but my school bought me the Phonak roger pen that works amazingly in lecture hall settings, smaller groups, 1-on-1- basically everything it's revolutionised my ability to hear!
    As Tiger Rag said, I've been told I am eligible for DSA at uni so maybe look into this?
    Also maybe ask if you can get copy of the lecture slides in advance, I've found in class I can follow a lot better if I have the prompts to what is being said in front of me...
    (off topic but what are you studying? )

ReputationRep:
    The same here but I'm in year 12 and wear two hearing aids instead. What I do is focus on lip movement(I know it sounds wrong!) whilst a teacher is speaking, I also sit near the front and focus on deciding upon what I should write down, what would be helpful to write down and what not to write down. This normally makes it easier for me to make sure I don't miss out on the details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    Hi! I'm deaf in one ear too! hardly every find anyone on here! I use phonic CROS hearing aids- what do you use?
    I'm only year 13 but my school bought me the Phonak roger pen that works amazingly in lecture hall settings, smaller groups, 1-on-1- basically everything it's revolutionised my ability to hear!
    As Tiger Rag said, I've been told I am eligible for DSA at uni so maybe look into this?
    Also maybe ask if you can get copy of the lecture slides in advance, I've found in class I can follow a lot better if I have the prompts to what is being said in front of me...
    (off topic but what are you studying? )
    Hi Eleanor,
    I have not heard (lol) of a roger pen, so will look into that thank you.
    I already print out slides if i can, it tends to be the discussions i miss out on.
    I will be starting a degree in counselling in September.Must be mad at my age!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.