Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Study aids for hearing loss watch

ReputationRep:
    Im deaf in one ear and wear a hearing aid.
    Does anyone have any tips,apps hacks etc that help you with your study?
    I'm worried that even with my aid ,i wont hear everything in a big lecture theatre.

Thanks in advance!

Cid.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you're at uni, have you applied for disabled students allowance? (DSA) They should supply you with equipment and possibly a note taker. This should help you with things like being able to hear what's being said in a lecture hall.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm deaf in one ear too! hardly every find anyone on here! I use phonic CROS hearing aids- what do you use?
    I'm only year 13 but my school bought me the Phonak roger pen that works amazingly in lecture hall settings, smaller groups, 1-on-1- basically everything it's revolutionised my ability to hear!
    As Tiger Rag said, I've been told I am eligible for DSA at uni so maybe look into this?
    Also maybe ask if you can get copy of the lecture slides in advance, I've found in class I can follow a lot better if I have the prompts to what is being said in front of me...
    (off topic but what are you studying? )

ReputationRep:
    The same here but I'm in year 12 and wear two hearing aids instead. What I do is focus on lip movement(I know it sounds wrong!) whilst a teacher is speaking, I also sit near the front and focus on deciding upon what I should write down, what would be helpful to write down and what not to write down. This normally makes it easier for me to make sure I don't miss out on the details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    Hi! I'm deaf in one ear too! hardly every find anyone on here! I use phonic CROS hearing aids- what do you use?
    I'm only year 13 but my school bought me the Phonak roger pen that works amazingly in lecture hall settings, smaller groups, 1-on-1- basically everything it's revolutionised my ability to hear!
    As Tiger Rag said, I've been told I am eligible for DSA at uni so maybe look into this?
    Also maybe ask if you can get copy of the lecture slides in advance, I've found in class I can follow a lot better if I have the prompts to what is being said in front of me...
    (off topic but what are you studying? )
    Hi Eleanor,
    I have not heard (lol) of a roger pen, so will look into that thank you.
    I already print out slides if i can, it tends to be the discussions i miss out on.
    I will be starting a degree in counselling in September.Must be mad at my age!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.