Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I just came across this website and was hoping someone here could help me out.
    I got a conditional offer from King's College in London to their MA in Global Ethics and Human Values. They gave me two conditions: to submit a TOEFL score, and to have a degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3.
    I am graduating in 2 weeks, and will most likely finish with a 3.22 cumulative GPA. I go to a liberal arts institution, where we are required to take courses such as maths and sciences - courses that are essentially irrelevant to my International Relations major - and have affected my GPA. I had one bad semester a year ago that dropped my GPA from a 3.5 to a 3.2.
    Does anyone have any experience with King's where this kind of condition was given? Would they still consider accepting me even if I don't meet the 3.3 GPA, as I wrote a very strong personal statement and submitted a pretty packed resume, which I think played an important role in them giving me a conditional offer. What are your recommendations? I read some threads on here that said ring them up and explain, and they would consider still accepting the student. I don't know if this is the most efficient way. I would really appreciate any advice as this my dream program, I'm more than qualified and my GPA really doesn't reflect what I'm capable of.

ReputationRep:
    I would say email the admissions office to find out directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    I would say email the admissions office to find out directly.
    I have - all they said was that they guarantee a refund if I do not meet the conditions of their offer. I'm trying to figure out if anyone has personal experiences to work around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrards)
    I have - all they said was that they guarantee a refund if I do not meet the conditions of their offer. I'm trying to figure out if anyone has personal experiences to work around it.
    Are you already certain whether you can get the offer or not? Bc if you cannot I would email them again emphasising that at this point it would not be possible to raise your GPA and ask whether they would be willing to make an allowance. Or maybe try calling them - staff are sometimes more responsive when spoken to in person rather than sending a textbook reply to an email.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am from India. I have applied for the MSc in Financial Mathematics course at LSE, UCL, Kings and Imperial. As of now, I have an offer from kings. What kind of employment opportunities are there for post grads from King's College, London from this course?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm in the same boat! I have a cumulative 3.2, but KCL gave me a 3.3 conditional offer. I've emailed them three times emphasizing the fact that I can't raise my cGPA to 3.3 in a month because it's literally impossible. I also asked for allowances or to be considered for an unconditional offer or even other ways to show that my GPA doesn't really mean much (because of general education courses which have nothing to do with my majors). Each time the response was rather robotic: you'll get a full refund if the conditions of offer is not met (completely disregarding the fact that I told them I won't be able to meet the 3.3). Can I ask what happened with you? I noticed that you posted this 4 months ago, so just wondering.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayaya)
    Emailing them won't make any difference at all, except get annoying. They will always make the decision in the face of the whole cohort results.

Put simply, they aren't going to make a special early case for someone with a 3.22 if, come results time, that has given away a place for someone who misses with a 3.29.

With all these 'what if I miss my offer' threads, the answer is the same - you have to wait until they know the standard of the entire offer pool, before you know where the absolute cut off is going to be that year.

Only the elite universities will leave places unfilled (and even then, they will have filled with stronger students on other courses to give the same total number of students).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Emailing them won't make any difference at all, except get annoying. They will always make the decision in the face of the whole cohort results.

Put simply, they aren't going to make a special early case for someone with a 3.22 if, come results time, that has given away a place for someone who misses with a 3.29.

With all these 'what if I miss my offer' threads, the answer is the same - you have to wait until they know the standard of the entire offer pool, before you know where the absolute cut off is going to be that year.

Only the elite universities will leave places unfilled (and even then, they will have filled with stronger students on other courses to give the same total number of students).
    That's what I was sort of thinking. The conditional offer holders are probably going to have to wait until all applicants are considered and also on whether they have space or not (like the waiting list here in the states). But, my friend applied to KCL for an MSc in Immunology with a GPA lower than a 3.0 and at first she got a conditional offer, but when she emailed them, they changed it to an unconditional offer. This was in late March. I also applied to MSc in Immunology, but got flat out rejected which is funny considering we have similar experiences (I've interned with her before), and I have a much higher GPA than her. Anyway, waiting is rather difficult logistically because I'm an international applicant, so I need to get my visa sorted (which takes about a month because the UK embassy that handles visas is in NYC and I'm in CA). However, in order to get a visa, I need a CAS number which KCL won't give until I've gotten an unconditional offer. But it seems like I won't be able to get an offer like that until well into July or August and the program starts end of August (or orientation and such does).

Do you consider KCL to be an elite university? To me elite screams Ivy League and Oxford/Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I got a conditional offer from King's College in London to their MA in Global Ethics and Human Values. They gave me two conditions: to submit a TOEFL score, and to have a degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3.
    I am graduating in 2 weeks, and will most likely finish with a 3.22 cumulative GPA. I go to a liberal arts institution, where we are required to take courses such as maths and sciences - courses that are essentially irrelevant to my International Relations major - and have affected my GPA. I had one bad semester a year ago that dropped my GPA from a 3.5 to a 3.2.
    Does anyone have any experience with King's where this kind of condition was given? Would they still consider accepting me even if I don't meet the 3.3 GPA, as I wrote a very strong personal statement and submitted a pretty packed resume, which I think played an important role in them giving me a conditional offer. What are your recommendations? I read some threads on here that said ring them up and explain, and they would consider still accepting the student. I don't know if this is the most efficient way. I would really appreciate any advice as this my dream program, I'm more than qualified and my GPA really doesn't reflect what I'm capable of.
    I didn't read the rest of thread but this happened to me a year ago at KCL. They still gave me the offer.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was sort of thinking. The conditional offer holders are probably going to have to wait until all applicants are considered and also on whether they have space or not (like the waiting list here in the states). But, my friend applied to KCL for an MSc in Immunology with a GPA lower than a 3.0 and at first she got a conditional offer, but when she emailed them, they changed it to an unconditional offer. This was in late March. I also applied to MSc in Immunology, but got flat out rejected which is funny considering we have similar experiences (I've interned with her before), and I have a much higher GPA than her. Anyway, waiting is rather difficult logistically because I'm an international applicant, so I need to get my visa sorted (which takes about a month because the UK embassy that handles visas is in NYC and I'm in CA). However, in order to get a visa, I need a CAS number which KCL won't give until I've gotten an unconditional offer. But it seems like I won't be able to get an offer like that until well into July or August and the program starts end of August (or orientation and such does).

Do you consider KCL to be an elite university? To me elite screams Ivy League and Oxford/Cambridge.
    Hey, as far as your visa thing, once you have your CAS and finance documents, complete the app online and schedule your biometrics appointment. Then send it all via UPS 2 day to the embassy. It shouldn't take a month to get the visa approved. I got mine within a week and that's about average. Assuming you're a US citizen.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Hello! Could you tell me if King's accepted you? I am in quite a similar situation..

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm in the same boat! I have a cumulative 3.2, but KCL gave me a 3.3 conditional offer. I've emailed them three times emphasizing the fact that I can't raise my cGPA to 3.3 in a month because it's literally impossible. I also asked for allowances or to be considered for an unconditional offer or even other ways to show that my GPA doesn't really mean much (because of general education courses which have nothing to do with my majors). Each time the response was rather robotic: you'll get a full refund if the conditions of offer is not met (completely disregarding the fact that I told them I won't be able to meet the 3.3). Can I ask what happened with you? I noticed that you posted this 4 months ago, so just wondering.

Do you mind telling me which uni you went to? As well as the program you got an offer for at KCL? I'm on the same boat... Wondering if I should even consider applying to KCL with the gpa I have.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

hey did you get in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.