Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

URGENT HELP - A2 Maths and AS Further Maths combination Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.
    I need some help REALLY urgently so I know what modules I need to retake during my gap year so I can send off my UCAS ASAP.

If I was to use C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, and S1 to make up my Maths A2 module, I would have had 477 UMS, not 432. However I think that because that was a B anyway, my S1 grade was moved down to Further Maths and my M1 and M2 grades were used for regular maths.I was wondering if I was to retake S2, and to get a high grade, would this be able to be used in my A2 Maths modules?So that the modules would be, C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and S2?

I'm planning on retaking C3, C4 and S2.Seeing as I could get an A in maths considering I even push my grade up a little in C3 or C4, even if i was to get a high grade in S2, I'm assuming this could be used to push up my further maths grade if the A is already guaranteed, correct?For example, currently my A2 maths grade is made up of:

C1 - 88
    C2- 91
    C3- 72
    C4- 60
    M1- 70
    M2 -51

My further maths AS is made up of:
    FP1 - 73
    S1 - 96
    S2 - 41

So as you can see, the S1 grade was used to push up my Further Maths instead. If I was to retake S2, and get over 80, how would the grades be affected?

For example would either one of S1 or S2 get used to make up my A2 maths grade and either M1 or M2 would get pushed down to the AS maths?

I think if i was able to get over 90 in S2, and push up my C3 or C4 even a little bit, then the combination for A2 Maths would be - C1, C2 ,C3, C4, M1 and S1.

M2 would get pushed down to Further Maths AS but if I was to get a high enough grade in S2, this shouldn't be a problem?

Or would it be that if i was to achieve high enough in C3 and C4 to push my A2 maths grade up to an A or A* anyway, then both S1 and S2 would be left in the further maths AS to push the AS grade up?And just to confirm, 90% overall in c3 and c4 would get me an A*?

And am I allowed to use S1 and S2 along with the core modules to make up my further maths grade?

Sorry that I wasn't able to word all of this very well, I'm just so confused as to how it all works, and I need to make sure that I'm able to just retake C3, C4 and S2 in order to push for a guaranteed A in A2 Maths, if not an A*.

If anyone can make sense to this thread and reply to it section by section I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, sorry.

But you can have two 1 units in A level maths or a 1 and 2 of the same type.

Your applied units can be shuffled between maths and further maths and your grades will be maximised however maths will take preference. So if it's possible for you to have AC or BB, the first option is what you'd get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXiS)
    Hey guys.
    I need some help REALLY urgently so I know what modules I need to retake during my gap year so I can send off my UCAS ASAP.

If I was to use C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, and S1 to make up my Maths A2 module, I would have had 477 UMS, not 432. However I think that because that was a B anyway, my S1 grade was moved down to Further Maths and my M1 and M2 grades were used for regular maths.I was wondering if I was to retake S2, and to get a high grade, would this be able to be used in my A2 Maths modules?So that the modules would be, C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and S2?

I'm planning on retaking C3, C4 and S2.Seeing as I could get an A in maths considering I even push my grade up a little in C3 or C4, even if i was to get a high grade in S2, I'm assuming this could be used to push up my further maths grade if the A is already guaranteed, correct?For example, currently my A2 maths grade is made up of:

C1 - 88
    C2- 91
    C3- 72
    C4- 60
    M1- 70
    M2 -51

My further maths AS is made up of:
    FP1 - 73
    S1 - 96
    S2 - 41

So as you can see, the S1 grade was used to push up my Further Maths instead. If I was to retake S2, and get over 80, how would the grades be affected?

For example would either one of S1 or S2 get used to make up my A2 maths grade and either M1 or M2 would get pushed down to the AS maths?

I think if i was able to get over 90 in S2, and push up my C3 or C4 even a little bit, then the combination for A2 Maths would be - C1, C2 ,C3, C4, M1 and S1.

M2 would get pushed down to Further Maths AS but if I was to get a high enough grade in S2, this shouldn't be a problem?

Or would it be that if i was to achieve high enough in C3 and C4 to push my A2 maths grade up to an A or A* anyway, then both S1 and S2 would be left in the further maths AS to push the AS grade up?And just to confirm, 90% overall in c3 and c4 would get me an A*?

And am I allowed to use S1 and S2 along with the core modules to make up my further maths grade?

Sorry that I wasn't able to word all of this very well, I'm just so confused as to how it all works, and I need to make sure that I'm able to just retake C3, C4 and S2 in order to push for a guaranteed A in A2 Maths, if not an A*.

If anyone can make sense to this thread and reply to it section by section I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    The exam board can move the applied modules around to get you the best possible grade in Maths and then in AS FM. To make sure that they do this, you must re-cash in AS Maths, A level Maths and AS FM to "unlock" your results for the qualification that they are currently in. The codes for Edexcel for this are 8371, 9371 and 8372.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.