Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are straight women in the West the most privileged group of people in history? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevennotyou)
    For once I agree with you.

Personal circumstance is the main factor in deciding 'privileges'
    Are you being sarcastic or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilylf)
    you are so dumb you hurt my brain, please tell me your joking?
    It's you're

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Are you being sarcastic or?
    Noooooo. I genuinely mean it

I may be a douche to you most the time but it doesn't make you wrong

ReputationRep:
    straight white men are most privileged then straight white women after that.
    this balance is changing rapidly as feminism sinks its fangs deeper and deeper into Western society

Its a pretty fair statement to say that white women in the West have the easiest lives in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Historically, isn't it obviously straight white men?
    If we were to look at the entirety of history all together, then yeah. But that's sort of pointless and irrelevant isn't it? What matters is the present.

ReputationRep:
    Right in a couple of lines you just outdid anything I could ever do to look childish so
    Swearing is not adult. Swearing is what people resort to when they cannot stay calm enough to have rational discussion. If you are going to act childish in adult debate then I will respond like a child. However, if we are going to have reasonable discussion then let's do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XisNations)
    just to clarify a bit here though.

ofc there are some white women who are poor and disadvantaged (there are poor and disadvantaged people in every race, but definitely more in some races than others), but the point here is that society values you more highly just because you're white and female, than it does other people.
    I understand what you're trying to get at but it isn't true because like I have said there are counters to all that the OP has said. If you mean they favour us because we're cutesy and fragile then it ends there mate because the men are still getting the top jobs still getting paid more and it is unrealistic a need that you should be looking to put us down to help men.

I agree that all disadvantaged groups need help but the way to do this isn't to turn on people.

ReputationRep:
    Or it varies by circumstances. Would you say a straight white homeless man is more privileged than Madonna?
    The person who made this didn't think about circumstances, circumstances can affect privilege (to answer your amazing question obviously madonna has more privilege) but I meant without those other factors. If a straight white man and a straight white woman had similar lives and similar factors that affect their lives, who would be more privileged?

ReputationRep:
    sure...
    I understand what you're saying maybe I've sped ahead of you a little my response is not just for you but for the kids that have populated the thread already saying stuff that is clearly in line with the angry young men movement at the moment.

Let's go back to basics... What you're saying simply isn't true.

More likely to be assaulted or murdered? How is that our privilege? That's actually because we're less likely to be engaged in violence not because the person carrying out assaults and murders is like oh it's a lady let's put her on a pedestal.
    Also sexual violence did you forget that one? Women are vastly outnumbered as victim to rape and sexual violence.
    For every thing you have put there is a counter...girls supposedly 'favoured' in schools and universities well then how is it men still land the top jobs and even where women have the same jobs they often get paid less.
    So basically what you've said is not true.
    Because men are superior to women, hence better jobs and better pay.

ReputationRep:
    swearing is not adult. Swearing is what people resort to when they cannot stay calm enough to have rational discussion. If you are going to act childish in adult debate then i will respond like a child. However, if we are going to have reasonable discussion then let's do that
    Captain Killjoy to the rescue!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn Malik)
    It's you're

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah because grammar is my main concern when i am not talking to anyone important well done, round of applause for you

ReputationRep:
    Swearing is not adult. Swearing is what people resort to when they cannot stay calm enough to have rational discussion. If you are going to act childish in adult debate then I will respond like a child. However, if we are going to have reasonable discussion then let's do that
    I mean I'm just putting this out there for the joke of it but... you must have heard this research recently
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/bad-word...ligence-368852

This isn't why I was swearing for the record

ReputationRep:
    The person who made this didn't think about circumstances, circumstances can affect privilege (to answer your amazing question obviously madonna has more privilege) but I meant without those other factors. If a straight white man and a straight white woman had similar lives and similar factors that affect their lives, who would be more privileged?
    Personally I would say neither in the grand scheme of things. Both can be objectified, both can be sexually assaulted, both can get the same job, both can drive, both can get a mortgage etc etc. On the microscale there are slight privileges for both sides but they are negligible.

ReputationRep:
    this balance is changing rapidly as feminism sinks its fangs deeper and deeper into Western society

Its a pretty fair statement to say that white women in the West have the easiest lives in the world
    feminism is what got women rights in the first place. without women would still be objects and have no rights. and where on earth did you get that idea? i would like to know.

ReputationRep:
    yeah because grammar is my main concern when i am not talking to anyone important well done, round of applause for you
    It's kind of important in a post when you'recalling someone else dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    If we were to look at the entirety of history all together, then yeah. But that's sort of pointless and irrelevant isn't it? What matters is the present.
    I was just going with what the title said.

ReputationRep:
    Captain Killjoy to the rescue!!!!
    Captain misogynist racist to arms..again :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    I mean I'm just putting this out there for the joke of it but... you must have heard this research recently
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/bad-word...ligence-368852

This isn't why I was swearing for the record
    The key word being "may"

I know, to be honest you seem perfectly decent, we just have very differing views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Thoughts?
    I presume you mean now (or starting about 10 years ago or so) and in the west.

As a group they certainly seem pretty privileged, at least while young. The real game-changer seems to be pregnancy, which makes any comparison a lot less simple.

ReputationRep:
    The key word being "may"

I know, to be honest you seem perfectly decent, we just have very differing views
    Just don't waste your life hating women or just hating in general.

For every nasty woman there's a nasty man and vice versa.

A vulnerable person is a vulnerable person irrespective of the genitals between their legs :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.