Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are straight women in the West the most privileged group of people in history? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ananaz)
    Really agree with hoping4Astars and paul514. Somehow despite being a white female I don't feel this privilege on the daily basis. Studying a STEM degree at uni I received much sexism from the male professors; one incident included when I stayed behind after a workshop to get extra help and a male professor claimed me and my friends were staying for the male PhD students... He even told them and now they ignore me and my female friends whenever we raise our hand to ask for help. Where's my female privilege here?
    Where's my race privilege when a black girl who's a good friend of mine introduced me to her other female black friends and they disliked me just because I'm white? Never done anything bad to them but they often tried to separate me and my other white friends from this black girl and get extremely bitter when some black dudes hit on me? Ain't feeling it over here, I must say.
    Youve given exvelent examples of how practically any group is privileged in different situations, and why claiming any group is more privileged as a whole is kind of irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, straight, white women in the patriarchal West is the most privileged group in entire history of mankind. *sarcasm*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevennotyou)
    Privilege is just a word the equality groups use so that they can use it to campaign

Advantages would be a better word
    Lol this just might be the most useless post in TSR history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReader)
    Yes, straight, white women in the patriarchal West is the most privileged group in entire history of mankind. *sarcasm*
    How is there a patriarchy given the points made in my earlier post?:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by difeo)
    - favoured in schools
    - favoured when applying to university
    - favoured when applying for jobs
    - less likely to be assaulted
    - less likely to be murdered
    - less likely to be driven to suicide
    - less likely to be homeless
    - less likely to be convicted of the same crime
    - when convicted, receive lesser sentences
    - more spent on their healthcare
    - longer life expectancyetc etc

It's either straight white women in the present day or straight white men in the present day, there's no real argument to be made for any other group in history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    - favoured in schools
    Nothing to do with the West.

Average girls outperform average boys in maths, reading, science etc. in such countries as Quatar and Jordan as well. Basically, girls outperform boys at school in every country in the world, except in: Colombia, Costa Rica, and Pradesh.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-30933493

Being favored by universities and jobs (NB middle class entry jobs only) in the west follows quite naturally from doing better at school, though it is short-sighted. I agree with your other points. But I think you have to take social background into account. I think the hierarchy of privilege is ordered something like this (in the west):

middle/upper class white males
    middle/upper class white females
    asian females
    average white females, asian males
    average white males
    poor white males
    poor white females
    black females
    black males
    anyone poor with mental health problems, disabilities etc.

Men who argue that women are more privileged than men usually compare "white females" with "working class white males", in which case, it's obviously true, but you are not comparing like with like, so it's meaningless. If you compare working class females with working class males, it's much closer and perhaps men even have an edge, because traditional working class male jobs are better paid (and more interesting) than traditional working class female jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    How is there a patriarchy given the points made in my earlier post?:

It's either straight white women in the present day or straight white men in the present day, there's no real argument to be made for any other group in history.

Well, perhaps sexism is less prevalent in Western culture compared to african culture?!

As for your other points, I doubt most of them can be used to support your argument and they are not exactly can't coexist within the patriarchal society.

Also, I wouldn't say that straight white men (or even women) are the most "priviliged" group in history, as there is no objective scale to measure the level of "privilige". It would depend upon the context. For example, who is the most priviliged group in Somalia: men or women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I'm a white male, I'm drowning in privilege over here can someone make some new racist/sexist laws against me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Naw, I'd say bisexual woman are, damn them, they got it all! :shakecane:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Naw, I'd say bisexual woman are, damn them, they got it all! :shakecane:
    Agreed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/hashtag/whitegirlproblems?src=hash

these "white girl problems" are not even first world problems, they're like zero world problems

ReputationRep:
    is it wrong that all i can think about while going through this thread is Curley's Wife :/ ?
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by z33)
    is it wrong that all i can think about while going through this thread is Curley's Wife :/ ?
    :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.