Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Complaining about doors slamming shut after 11pm - is it petty? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    So I'm in private uni accommodation in my second year, and in the flats they are obviously fire doors for all the rooms in the flats. They close automatically behind people, and really loud.
    During the day it's not so much of an issue, but it's at night....

I wear earplugs anyway, but the doors to the rooms are so loud I can hear them closing whilst wearing earplugs and get woken up without fail. There's a tenancy agreement everyone has to sign which says no noise to be heard outside of your room past 11pm - but doors can slam at 1am from a flatmate.
    Now unless there's anything the accommodation maintenance can do to have them close slower, which I doubt there is, should flat mates hold doors so that they close quietly after a certain time?

Got woken up 4 times last night from people in my flat not holding their door to shut slowly, for example

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked them to be careful when shutting the doors?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd have a word and ask them to shut the doors quietly behind them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Yeah, I'd have a word and ask them to shut the doors quietly behind them.
    I lived in a similar accommodation, and the thing is that you can not close the doors without slamming them. There is no door handle.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I lived in a similar accommodation, and the thing is that you can not close the doors without slamming them. There is no door handle.
    That's a pain. And it's like that with the front door where I am. (I live in a 3 storey flat) That means I have to listen to the door being slammed at 7am and 7.30am.

ReputationRep:
    you can ask but it's unlikely to happen, just letting the door close is an automatic thing

just fyi, my accommodation maintenance did change something on the closing mechanism so it closed softly, will depend on the doors and your management but might be worth inquiring

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.