The Student Room Group

No UCAS reference TT

The deadline is on Friday, and I have no reference..

It might be the last ditch effort.

I literally have no one. I don't work (part time self-employed) and last time I was in school was some 6-7 years ago, and teachers have changed there, even if they didn't I doubt they'd remember me. (it was a small paid school)

I didn't have any tutors, I have studied by myself, so I don't know what to do in terms of UCAS.

Is it really that difficult to apply to unis especially for those who don't attend a school? There is an option of "no reference" on UCAS form, but it says that universities should be contacted first, but it seems unlikely that they will accept a UCAS form without a reference or will they?

I was hoping to apply to 5 Russel Group level universities, so it might make it even harder.

So what to do? I really don't know. I'm sure I'll achieve the grades required, and I have a covering letter ready, it's just this "academic/professional" reference that I just cannot get, because I don't study nor work anywhere TT

What to do... any last day advice?
Original post by GettingIntoSpace

I literally have no one. I don't work (part time self-employed) and last time I was in school was some 6-7 years ago, and teachers have changed there, even if they didn't I doubt they'd remember me. (it was a small paid school)

I didn't have any tutors, I have studied by myself, so I don't know what to do in terms of UCAS.

Is it really that difficult to apply to unis especially for those who don't attend a school? There is an option of "no reference" on UCAS form, but it says that universities should be contacted first, but it seems unlikely that they will accept a UCAS form without a reference or will they?

I was hoping to apply to 5 Russel Group level universities, so it might make it even harder.

So what to do? I really don't know. I'm sure I'll achieve the grades required, and I have a covering letter ready, it's just this "academic/professional" reference that I just cannot get, because I don't study nor work anywhere TT

Follow Ucas' guidance and talk it through with the universities. You certainly won't be the only one/first one with this problem and the solution is different for everyone, so none of us on here are going to be able to name someone for you, much as we would like to help. Do it first thing tomorrow. I'm sorry we can't provide the answer for you, but as you will have seen from the fact that Ucas has an option for cases such as yours, you are not alone, and there will be a solution if you contact those who have the power to tell you exactly what your options are.
Original post by GettingIntoSpace

Do you have any family friends who are professionals (teachers, doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses etc).

Someone who has known you for 3+ years and can talk about your attitude to work and your ambitions. If so you could ask them to provide a personal reference and ask them to explain why you have no academic reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending