The Student Room Group

Will uni get better??

Hey everyone, I'm currently studying in central London and have been having a hard time at uni recently. I feel like I don't really have any friends here, I'm generally a sociable and friendly person, people in my halls and on my course seem to know me, I say hi to a lot of people and stuff but I haven't really been able to get really close to anyone. I've tried joining lots of societies, making an effort talking to people I see and stuff but it just doesn't seem to be working, I rarely get invited out for meals and am not part of any group chats or stuff like that, I don't get how it's so easy for people to form a group, during fresher a week/first month I was felling pretty good about everything and then I don't know what happened as people just got into groups and I got left out as the outsider. I don't even know what I did wrong. I like clubbing/alcohol etc so that's not really a problem. This is really getting to me and I'm not a person who can just put this aside and concentrate on their course instead as I don't find it all that interesting. Which is not necessarily problematic as I picked the degree because it is a respected subject leading to a good career and not that I have a passion for it. The longer this goes on the less motivated I am about going out and meeting people, I know that this makes it worse and feel as if I've already left it too late to make friends as people are all comfortable within their groups. Can anyone give me some advice?
Original post by Strawberry112
Hey everyone, I'm currently studying in central London and have been having a hard time at uni recently. I feel like I don't really have any friends here, I'm generally a sociable and friendly person, people in my halls and on my course seem to know me, I say hi to a lot of people and stuff but I haven't really been able to get really close to anyone. I've tried joining lots of societies, making an effort talking to people I see and stuff but it just doesn't seem to be working, I rarely get invited out for meals and am not part of any group chats or stuff like that, I don't get how it's so easy for people to form a group, during fresher a week/first month I was felling pretty good about everything and then I don't know what happened as people just got into groups and I got left out as the outsider. I don't even know what I did wrong. I like clubbing/alcohol etc so that's not really a problem. This is really getting to me and I'm not a person who can just put this aside and concentrate on their course instead as I don't find it all that interesting. Which is not necessarily problematic as I picked the degree because it is a respected subject leading to a good career and not that I have a passion for it. The longer this goes on the less motivated I am about going out and meeting people, I know that this makes it worse and feel as if I've already left it too late to make friends as people are all comfortable within their groups. Can anyone give me some advice?

It's definitely not easy. You might meet people and they become friends/acquiantances but for them to become the people that you go out to eat with or go to the cinema etc.. it's pretty difficult.

Having said that, a new semester has started, and there'll be people in a similiar boat looking to make friends. Maybe you could give those old societies a try again or just try something completely new. And also, if you're part of that society and you run for one of the main roles next year and help to organise all of the socials, that might make it easier for people to approach you or vice versa during those socials.

And an interest in your course is quite important for keeping you happy. I can see where you're coming from in that you're just putting up with it because it'll get you to where you want to go.
Reply 2
It's important to realise that your perception of these groups may not be totally reflective of reality. By this I mean that people you see hanging around in these groups may feel equally alone.

It can be a lonely time at uni, especially in the first year before you make some really strong bonds with others. My advice would be to mingle, don't try to hard, find people with common interests, tag along etc. Eventually you will start to click with some like minded people and these thoughts of loneliness will pass.

Just be patient. Get involved. Make an effort. Remember do not change who you are for anyone!
Original post by kalclash
It's important to realise that your perception of these groups may not be totally reflective of reality. By this I mean that people you see hanging around in these groups may feel equally alone.

It can be a lonely time at uni, especially in the first year before you make some really strong bonds with others. My advice would be to mingle, don't try to hard, find people with common interests, tag along etc. Eventually you will start to click with some like minded people and these thoughts of loneliness will pass.

Just be patient. Get involved. Make an effort. Remember do not change who you are for anyone!

Thanks for the reassurance, hopefully it'll improve this term!
Original post by SeanFM
It's definitely not easy. You might meet people and they become friends/acquiantances but for them to become the people that you go out to eat with or go to the cinema etc.. it's pretty difficult.

Having said that, a new semester has started, and there'll be people in a similiar boat looking to make friends. Maybe you could give those old societies a try again or just try something completely new. And also, if you're part of that society and you run for one of the main roles next year and help to organise all of the socials, that might make it easier for people to approach you or vice versa during those socials.

And an interest in your course is quite important for keeping you happy. I can see where you're coming from in that you're just putting up with it because it'll get you to where you want to go.

thanks! hopefully youre right about people being in a similar boat. The course thing isnt too much of an issue, i dont hate it or anything its just not something that I'd do if it didn't lead to a good job haha, a lot of people i know are in it for the same reason
Original post by Strawberry112

It it worth trying to organise something yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending