Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am looking at applying to Oxford to study History. I achieved 8 A*s and 2 A's (Maths and Art). I achieved a score of 99/100 In the International GCSE History exam. I go to a top boys private secondary school where a lot of boys have 9 or 10 A*'s. Though I have done remarkably well in my GCSE's because Oxford compare you to your year and the average was 8 A*'s 2 A's does this mean the chances of getting to the interview stage if I passed the HAT would still be rather low? My school have encouraged me to apply to do History at Oxbridge and without coming across as cocky, the reports show that I am one of the best (if not the best) at History in my year. I am doing the IB Diploma and for Oxford an offer is 38-39 points. I do History, English and Philosophy at Higher Level and Latin, Chemistry and Maths at Standard Level. Though I haven't been given my predictions yet I reckon I will be (or at least hope to be) in the 40s. Having said this I am very passionate about History and I have read quite a few history books on the Renaissance and the Medici family already. I also aim to visit Florence so that I can carry out any historical research whilst I am there. This will then be followed by a school trip to Berlin in October time after Oxbridge applications have been sent off. I also have my own history blog in which I post articles on anything I have learnt from my wider reading as well as any school essays I have done. I would be very grateful if you could tell me what are the chances like of getting an interview at Oxford based on my GCSE grades, predicted grades I think I will be given and my passion for history? I am concerned that though I have done remarkably well in GCSE's that this is not enough to get an interview because a number of my friends are applying to do History at Oxford and they have 9 or 10 A*'s and Oxford compare you in relation to your school and the average was 8 A*'s I believe. I would be grateful if you could tell me my chances of receiving an interview at Oxford and whether it is worth me applying and whether my GCSE grades are good enough? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I understand why you created a new thread for this , since you only added one sentence to your original that I replied to(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3826553)

Also Formatting!! Why the wall of text?

Your over thinking this to be honest, Nobody (not even me) can tell you what your statistical data will be should you apply, since some of it is based on yearly cycles.

As I said before, the HAT is an important part of the process, if you want to apply to Oxford you would be foolish to not revise for it. The odds for gaining an interview off the back of that are high (3/4 of applicants get an interview for History) which is a very high amount.

Have you been to Oxford to visit/open day?
    I would strongly encourage you to do so before you do decide to apply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.