Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've applied to do Music Business at Bucks new and received a conditional offer. I'm yet to go to an open day (going on 9th March).

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the uni, what the nightlife is like, things to do, societies, people that go there..

I haven't seen many people that have applied there on any facebook groups so dont really know what to expect, because from the course, its currently going to be my firm or insurance, any information would be awesome.

Thanks you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rae3)
    Hi

I've applied to do Music Business at Bucks new and received a conditional offer. I'm yet to go to an open day (going on 9th March).

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the uni, what the nightlife is like, things to do, societies, people that go there..

I haven't seen many people that have applied there on any facebook groups so dont really know what to expect, because from the course, its currently going to be my firm or insurance, any information would be awesome.

Thanks you!
    I'll try to keep this objective but I'm going to have to be honest so you can make a wise decision:

Positives:
    - the union's only club runs a lot of student nights, and it's free to get in if you're a student here
    - plenty of societies
    - the union tends to arrange occasional trips for free (or for a refundable deposit)
    - four supermarkets nearby (Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Lidl)
    - Wilkinson for cheap pots and pans etc and bedding
    - free water machines (though the machines for bottled water are expensive as is the norm for such machines)
    - easy to walk around as the University is incredibly small compared to most universities

Negatives: The University doesn't listen to students; the union even made a 'Hear Our Cries' document in 2013 because they were even ignoring the union and produced this short vid:
    - misleading information about the university facilities and the courses (mis-selling is mentioned in the above video - and it's just been confirmed by the union president that the library will suddenly stop being 24-hour yet it was kept open today to make it look good to potential students),
    - failure to respond to problems in a timely and appropriate manner (complaints about the library heating were ignored for months),
    - not fixing IT problems (to be fair, they often can't because the general IT staff simply don't have the skill - students have been able to help me more than staff have)
    - not one Mac computer is connected to the printers despite IT services being made aware of this
    - reasonable adjustments not made for students with disabilities
    - difficult to find rooms or services as signs are pointlessly only visible once you're right near wherever you're looking for (for example, if you're in the North Wing, there's no sign pointing to the Students' Union)
    - the union nightclub is literally (and I do mean literally) the only club in the town. There are pubs though.
    - violence by students isn't taken seriously or dealt with quickly by the accommodation service
    - no 24-hour shops

Other:
    This one really depends on where you were brought up and how you feel, but I'm not the only student who's noticed that, in general, students here don't seem to do a lot of critical thinking - it's more a mentality of "I've been told to do something by someone, therefore I must do it without question and there's something suspicious about anyone who questions it". I'm not saying they can't think critically - just that they don't seem to do much of it. Now if that's how you've been brought up, no probs, but it can get a bit frustrating for someone who's used to having challenging debates.

ReputationRep:
    The poster above has nailed it pretty much spot on.

However, I did Music Business (then called Music Management) at Bucks, I started 5 years ago.

In brief; the lecturers are fantastic, with lots of industry experience between them and are really friendly and approachable. The modules are really interesting.

BUT - When we went to open days, looked through prospectuses etc, we were promised so many things as part of the course; field trips, work experience/internship opportunities etc. Pretty much none of this happened. The only field trip we had was during freshers week to the 02 for an exhibition. I don't remember any work experience opportunities and as we all entered the 3rd year, it began to dawn on the majority of us that the possibility of working in the industry was slim to none. Lecturers started to explain how its a "who you know, not what you know" industry, with jobs not really advertised and for those of us who weren't in a position to have our families support us whilst looking for unpaid internships (which are really hard to find) or live near to London, where a lot of the record companies/publishers etc are based, it seemed unlikely we would be working in the music business.

As much as I loved the degree, I wish I did something else that had a likely prospect of leading into a career. I can think of a handful of people from my year who are working in the industry. However, this was my experience. For all I know, you could land a decent job with a record label or live events company and rise up quickly! So I'm not trying to put you off, but this is how it was for the majority of the people in my year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies
    I think I may still go to an open day and see but it doesnt look like I will like it from what you've said, I've looked more closely at the other places and courses I've applied to and think I've decided to go in a different direction to Bucks New so thank you because your replies really helped

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying here too for a Nursing course. I won't be living in student accommodation as I live a few miles away from the uni.

What I'd like to know if they have any support for those who have learning difficulties etc?

ReputationRep:
    I know they only have the student union club in bucks, but how good are the 2 night they put on? I do like to go out a lot so wondering if this is the university for me. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaunaWillow;[url="tel:64128465")
    64128465[/url]]I am thinking of applying here too for a Nursing course. I won't be living in student accommodation as I live a few miles away from the uni.

What I'd like to know if they have any support for those who have learning difficulties etc?
    Bucks Uni has excellent facilities for students with learning difficulties. They have a Learning Development Unit and also a Disability Service where you can be assessed for various learning difficulties/health conditions etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.