Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can male barristers have long hair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The career of a barrister has appealed to me for a long time now. I am a male with very long hair, just past the middle of my back, and I intend to grow it even longer.

Are there rules about hairstyles that are unacceptable for male barristers? Assuming that I could fit it under my wig like any female barrister, would there be an issue?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    The career of a barrister has appealed to me for a long time now. I am a male with very long hair, just past the middle of my back, and I intend to grow it even longer.

Are there rules about hairstyles that are unacceptable for male barristers? Assuming that I could fit it under my wig like any female barrister, would there be an issue?
    I shouldn't imagine so, no. In any case, criminal barristers are the only ones who are still required to wear a wig regularly. I should imagine you would be able to put it in a bun and no one would mind.

ReputationRep:
    There are female barristers. They don't all go skinhead for the Bar. Yes, males can have long hair but they cannot have a fringe which protrudes out of the wig.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/practice...042749.article

http://www.solicitorsjournal.com/new...ainst-judge-di

Worth a read, although it seems that it wasn't the long hair that irked the judge but the medals he was wearing.

A lot of Barristers are very colourful characters, and I've read that junior barristers especially will try to stand out a bit so they are memorable and can get work. Provided you are a tidy person and dress well I'm sure you shanty have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    Work your way through say 50 chambers and see how many male barristers have long hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Work your way through say 50 chambers and see how many male barristers have long hair.
    I am aware that not many barristers have long hair.

But, to be fair, men with long hair are in the vast minority in the first place.

I want to know if male barristers having long hair is explicitly forbidden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I am aware that not many barristers have long hair.

But, to be fair, men with long hair are in the vast minority in the first place.

I want to know if male barristers having long hair is explicitly forbidden.
    There is no rule 'explicitly forbidding' that male barristers have long hair.

However, this is a profession where appearance and traditions do matter. I have always been advised for interviews that there should be nothing distracting or unconventional about my appearance - hair tied back, minimal make up, no piercings other than regular ear studs, etc.

As long as you can make sure it looks neat and presentable then I hope that it would not be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Think very long and hard about this. Why do you want the long hair? Are you willing to sacrifice a career to keep it? Although the Bar has a great deal of diversity in its ranks, we tend to be a very conservative lot in terms of values. Long hair on a male, in my view, looks unprofessional. The longest I've ever seen male hair at the Bar is neck length and in a sort of Oscar Wilde style. Consider the people you will be competing with for pupillage. Yes, you want to stand out, but not for the wrong reasons.

In short, cut your hair or be prepared for disappointment at interview.

ReputationRep:
    This summer I saw a high up, respectable judge who had long hair. You probably have to earn the right to be different though.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that if you do insist on having long hair, make sure it is very neat and tidy when going for interviews, etc, such as having it in a bun. That way, at least you minimise any negative impact it may have.

The only male barrister I've come across with long hair is this one, but he's a QC:
    http://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/people/iain-mitchell

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.