Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Think I might fail a Core module (Don't want to be kicked out) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year studying at the University of Southampton. On my course in the first semester we take four modules. Two of them are "core" and two are optional. In both the optional ones I am doing fine and feel pretty confident for the exam, and in one of the core ones I got 65% in the coursework (better than expected) and I also feel confident for the exam. However, in the other core module I am not doing so well, and think I will fail it. I did very badly in the coursework, and feel like I will fail the exam too. This is due to a lack of motivation towards the module as I'm not that interested in it, and I didn't try hard enough for it (had the whole "first year doesnt count" mentality). I was wondering if I could be kicked out for failing it, or if I would be allowed to re-sit it in the summer (I have since changed my mentality and would most definitely pass). The whole "core module" thing seems scary. The University website says
    "For students who fail to progress under paragraphs 3.1 to 3.3 on a programme where all Modules in a Part have been designated Core in order to meet the stipulations of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies, Referral is allowed in Failed modules in that Part totalling at most 30 ECTS (60 CATS) if permitted by the programme regulations.
    4.2 A student who fails to progress under paragraphs 3.1 to 3.3, and to whom 4.1 does not apply, may Refer in Failed Modules totalling at most 15 ECTS (30 CATS).
    4.2.1 A student Failing in Modules to a maximum of 30 ECTS (60 CATS) who has achieved the required Average Mark for the Part may be awarded credit and a Pass by Compensation in eligible Modules up to a maximum of 15 ECTS (30 CATS). A student may then Refer in up to 15 ECTS (30 CATS) of further modules, with the constraints that all Core Modules and all Modules in which the mark obtained is less than the Qualifying Mark must be Referred and that Referrals may be taken only in the minimum number of credits needed to achieve a Pass in the Part, as long as doing so successfully would enable the student to Pass the Part. A student who cannot obtain a Pass through the permitted number of Referrals is required to Repeat the Part.
    4.2.2 If a Failed Module has a higher credit value than the student requires for Progression, the student may nonetheless be Referred in that Module."

I think it says that I would be able to re-sit but I'm not 100%. Could anyone clarify for me?
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is not a nicely written piece of uni policy!

I think this is just saying that if you fail by only a little and pass by more than the amount you fail in a different exam then you can use the marks to pass overall.

Have you got a tutor or someone in a year above who could help?

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a director or adviser of studies? They will tell you exactly what you need to know. Most universities have resits for coursework and exams (I know one girl that had to do one of each for different modules). Usually they'll tell you when the resit period is round about exam time and tell you not to book any holidays till you've passed. Only if you failed that module after a re sit would you get thrown out.

Best thing to do is to contact someone straight away and find out the situation, as youll stress yourself out otherwise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.