I'm black but I can't stand the ghetto dialect most kids speak nowadays!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm black, well-spoken and love multiculturalism and my political views are left of centre but I really can't stand MLE (Multicultural London English) also known as ghetto talk/street talk.

The ghetto dialect most black youngsters have adopted nowadays (e.g. fam, blud, mandem, allow it, safe, ya get me etc, etc) just makes me cringe as I feel it just makes someone sound unintelligent and like a bad Ali-G impersonator! I'll honestly cry if my future children adopt this ridiculous accent.

Do you think I'm a choc ice and or a snob due to the above?
SonOfTheGun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
iz u dizzee blud?
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm black, well-spoken and love multiculturalism and my political views are left of centre but I really can't stand MLE (Multicultural London English) also known as ghetto talk/street talk.

The ghetto dialect most black youngsters have adopted nowadays (e.g. fam, blud, mandem, allow it, safe, ya get me etc, etc) just makes me cringe as I feel it just makes someone sound unintelligent and like a bad Ali-G impersonator! I'll honestly cry if my future children adopt this ridiculous accent.

Do you think I'm a choc ice and or a snob due to the above?
Nope not a snob. I know exactly what you mean, but growing up in souf london, I'm used to it.

Not just black though. White and Asian boys using that slang are just as irritating
gwagon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congratulations?
Elm Tree
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't call the dialect ghetto tbh... I use it sometimes when I'm texting people but rarely tend to use the words in real life lol, I think it sounds kinda silly saying.
Eveiebaby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't speak like that either but to make a thread about it just seems smarmy and it lacks humility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IanaD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You dont like it ... me too ... bt thts our opinion... others like it ... thts thm ... we respect them though ... in life we're not bound to like everything others do and its normal ... no one should make you feel guilty about what you like or dont like
OurPeople
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dunno about anyone else but I think disillusionment with mainstream education/9-5 worklife has made the roadman lifestyle more attractive.
Macy1998
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is called slang. I don't use it myself but it doesn't make people ghetto for using it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.71%
I'm not sure (40)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (279)
30.39%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (440)
47.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed